The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2. Lyndon Perry

Lyndon Perry Forum Resident

I have to concur. One listen of a Wilson digital remix and back to the shelf to gather dust forever. In this case curiosity almost killed the cat.

Regarding the original question, like our fearless leader said - "none whatsoever." I still have to find one remix improvement.

3. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

I have the impression that i'm listening to another album. So, no comment...

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Perhaps the only one is "Only a Northern Song" from the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, because the original "stereo" mix was in fake stereo.

D.B. likes this.
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Sadly, Wilson has professed he is no great Genesis fan and would not be interested. Which is a shame as those Nick Davis stereo remixes need wiping from the face of the earth....

6. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I thought this was a winner as well. Tony's keyboards no longer drown out Peter's vocals at the end of The Musical Box.

Also, it is beyond me why Steve Hackett's lovely chiming guitar notes in the Afterglow outro would have been mixed out of the original release of Wind and Wuthering.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  7. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I don't subscribe to the idea that the original mix is always the best in every instance. I think it's just that the one you hear first is the one you like best. I'm not averse to a remix that fixes a known problem with an original mix, like Chicago II.

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

King Crimson: Larks Tongues In Aspic.

9. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I always liked the “hyped up” The Reflex single mix from Duran Duran.

ARK, Uther, skisdlimit and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yost

Depeche Mode’s Zephyr Mix adds something to In Your Room that I keep missing on the album version.

Binni and Carlox like this.
  11. Yost

And I like a lot of remixes done by the Freemasons. To name a few:
    - Work, Kelly Rowland
    - Mesmerised, Faith Evans
    - Green Light, Beyoncé.

D.B. likes this.
  12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Don't forget Benefit. It needed it as much as Aqualung. I think Peter Mew did a nice job on This Was also.

I would also include Megadeth's Killing Is My Business and Business Is Good.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    lordfalconer likes this.
  13. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Jeez , the Substance version is terrible. I like Barcelona 84 or the 12” single.

14. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I find the new David Bowie Lodger remix to be quite joyful too, but it should have been mastered a bit better. The overall sound is cleaner, but sometimes the guitars have lost their balls.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This would be my answer as well. I like all of the Wilson remixes I have, but I don;'t think any replace the original. Except Aqualung.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Dylan's Street Legal? The opinion is almost unanimous.

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Every time I listen to a remix, it only makes me appreciate the original even more. So, for me, the answer would be none. Some come with nice booklets though...

18. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Im 99% sure the mfsl mind games cd is the remix. I rememeber i was suprised to see the remix info in the booklet.

19. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

They are OOP, replaced by the signature releases that use original mixes. Imagine and POB are pretty easy to find on Ebay. I think mind games is around too.

The one ive been having a hard time tracking down is walls & bridges. Only some of the tracks were remixed but i still want to hear it. Its just hard to confirm that im buying the correct one when ppl selling on ebay use generic meta data in descriptions.

D.B. likes this.
  20. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Agreed on the Mothermania especially. Freak Out was never really recorded/mastered that well to begin with. The stereo I have is a great listen and no way does the remix render it unlistenable. The mono I have is in pristine NM condition and if it was not for the collector interest I would have sold it long ago. Sounds very dull and lifeless by comparison to the stereo. The stereo is fuzzy a bit, but has much more sparkle. The cd remix as far as I know is still used on the 2012 reissue. Maybe we will someday get a good original mix on CD, but I doubt it.

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm 100% sure the MFSL Mind Games is the remix

Carlox and Batman21 like this.
  22. I cant think of any either; however i do like to listen to some remixes, its kinda fun

23. I prefer the original, but i like the remix. I usually play the original LP

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  24. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Not only do I much prefer the remix, but I never really liked the original album. Bob always criticized the sound of the album saying the sound on the record was not the sound in the room. The improvement with the remix was colossal to me. I think it's the fact that they pushed the guitars up so much and that just made it sound so much better. Definitely a record that was saved by a remix.

D.B., Dante Fontana, stef1205 and 3 others like this.
  25. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Vapor Trails

Purple and FVDnz like this.