The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I definitely agree. Familiarity always has a way of ingraining what is "right" to a listener's ear. Yet there is no inherent "best" way that any mix should be. There is only the original mix as intended by the artist at the point in time in which they released it. But as many of my favorite remixes reveal, there is no book of law stating that an original song can't be re-enhanced by using the original tracks. If only for an alternate way in which to better appreciate the original art.

And this coming from someone who still prefers the original mixes about 80% of the time. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Shak Cohen and Shaddam IV like this.
  2. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Tribe Called Quest's remix of Scenario sounds amazing. I wouldn't say that I can't listen to the original because I still do but the remix is terrific and I prefer it slightly over the original.

Original:

Remix: a tribe called quest - scenario (remix)

D.B. and Geee! like this.
  3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I'd never retire the original but the 'US Remix' of Manic Street Preachers' 'Holy Bible' is superb.

4. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

the MOFO box (both the 2cd and the 4cd) includes the original stereo mix.

5. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Quadrophenia

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

According to Page himself, they have NO remixes on them. They do however have what I guess could be called "pre-mixes" as any alternate mixes are vintage "in-progress" rough/reference mixes made at the time of the original recording sessions - not modern remixes made specifically for the companion discs.

7. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

There are bad original mixes. On the first Manassas album, The Treasure is mixed horribly. It should be a classic rock staple, great song, but so muddy. If someone did a good remix job on that it would be great.

A good mix is a good mix, original or otherwise. Most remixes have not actually improved on on the original. It is a high bar because the original mixes are usually pretty good, are contemporary to the recordings and therefore fit the sound, are sometimes relfective of artist intent, and they also, importantly, define what the music sounds like.

But remixes can work, and sometimes do. I think Street Legal is better remixed, for example. The Lennon solo catalog was better remixed. Even The Band's Rock of Ages, which was not badly mixed, sounded really good in the expanded/remixed edition.

Tell me why it was remixed, and let me compare. If it was remixed for the hell of it or to make it sound more "now," I'm probably not going to like it. If there are good reasons and it is well executed.... Remix away.

S. P. Honeybunch and Shaddam IV like this.
  8. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

The Byrds 1990s remixes

9. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

That's fair. I'm probably not qualified to determine a strict definition of remix. I just know that different balances or emphasis of the instruments are tweaked in many of the alternate mixes which, otherwise, are virtually identical to the album mixes (moved up, down, or around, channels reversed, etc).

Of course, some of the companion tracks are obvious alternate takes or "works in progress" (Whole Lotta Love, Since I've Been Loving You, When The Levee Breaks (UK Mix), the various versions that became "In The Light"), but others simply come off to me as "remixes". Even if that wasn't technically the aim.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Shaddam IV and bherbert like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Steven Wilson -- Jethro Tull -- Benefit in particular.

lordfalconer, ponkine and tootull like this.
  13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Not a case where I can't listen to the original, in fact I love it, but this is perhaps one of the first and most historically significant case of remixing.
    It turned a beautiful but unknown song to a number 1 hit

Simon and Garfunkel - Sound of Silence

14. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

If I'm on Amazon, I'll search: Jethro Tull Steve Wilson.

That usually brings up only the Wilson mixes. :righton:

bherbert likes this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I owned the Layla and Assorted Love Songs 1990 mix prior to owning the 1970 mix and prefer the latter.

Max Florian likes this.
  16. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any love for the Pink Floyd remixes?

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Deep Purple - Come Taste the Band.

duggan and Shak Cohen like this.
  18. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

that mix is overcompressed garbage if you ask me. a typical caveman mix.

Jack D and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  19. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Too bad he changed so many little details in the mix. I'd rather listen to the corrected polarity reissue than this particular remix. The others he did for XTC are pretty good/great, but this one just left me cold.

Finrod Artîwelë likes this.
  20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Even though I see the deluxe set on sale quite a bit, I'd rather pick up the O'Brien mix as a solo disc.

21. mogwai3

mogwai3 Well-Known Member

Totally agree on Rush. The remixed version of Vapor Trails is far superior. I recently snagged it on vinyl, and can never listen to the original album again. Even Geddy Lee admitted they “overlooked” that one.

Purple, lordfalconer and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Layla sounds a little 'harder' and the other instruments sound more in unison. The recent remixes are great at showcasing Duane Allman's floating guitar sound but, it loses a little bit of the urgency to my ears.

23. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

24. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I like the 2000's remixes of John's solo albums better than the original mixes in most cases.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I much prefer the John Entwistle remix for the soundtrack album here. The rhythm section is more pronounced, which is what this album needed.

D.B. and vonwegen like this.