The Replacements on Fallon tonight (9/9/14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j4yheindeo, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just watched this clip again, but this time I turned up my computers speakers to about their physical limit, now that's what this is supposed to sound like!

That Gibson SG Paul is playing sounds just about right to me in the mix.

Stone Turntable and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

No booze? Why? Where did you hear this from? Link?

3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

It's great to see the band get this kind of exposure again.

I flew over from London to see the Boston show and was not disappointed. OK it wasn't perfect - some flubbed lyrics (and occasionally chord changes) but it was a blast from start to finish. Great set list too - never expected to hear 'White and Lazy'. Perhaps most of all though, Paul and Tommy seemed to be having a great time up there, and with all the travails they have gone through, that was great to see.

dee, NaturalD and davers like this.
  4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Article in the new Taylor Swift Rolling Stone. Paul says it's likely they'll make a new album.

Did not know Paul is newly divorced.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Not sure if it's well known, but during the Seattle show banter Stinson mentioned that he was "deaf as a stump".

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I liked it. I liked Paul's solo appearance on Letterman (with the "now" "here" jacket) better. My concern was I'm not sure people are into music where you can't understand the lyrics anymore. Seems like most bands that are huge now, and for the past 10 years, are bands where every lyric is clearly enunciated, and the power is the words.

7. I'm not sure how that applies here - one thing about Westerberg, his vocals have generally been pretty clear.

8. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

"not a big Replacements fan" "guitar sounded wrong" "selling out" "Tommy didn't look good" "too many replacements" "meh meow nom non no no blah blah blah" I'm tolerant about almost any rock and roll opinion, but trashing or sneering or sniffing at The Replacements? You're dead to me.

calm down! MY post that said "not a big Replacements fan" was only to say i was not a lifelong fan, but still dug them, just not a super fan! And "trashing or sneering or sniffing" is just not part of that equation! i saw them in Philly opening for REM at the old Ripley's club ca. 1983, as well as supporting REM somewhere out west in 1982 so it ain't that i haven't ever seen the fellas, and i am glad they're banging around again before it's too late! And to me, "selling out", even if there is such a thing, is tricky-if Paul joined Bon Jovi replacing Richie Sambora, would that be "selling out"? even if he LOVED Bon Jovi deeply and truly???

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Just watched the Fallon clip, thought they sounded great. Their first network appearance in forever, and they play their love song to Alex Chilton. Just flat out wonderful.

Grampire, dee, Pavol Stromcek and 2 others like this.
  10. davers

davers Forum Resident

At the Seattle show I thought Tommy looked healthy...although his spiky haircut, stance and facial expressions made him look freakishly like Sid Vicious!

11. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Thanks to the Fallon heads up here and the RS piece, I've had the complete collection on rotation for the past couple of days. I've absolutely loved these guys for 30+ years and it's been great reliving all the memories again. What a band.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  12. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Ha, me too! And I thought he looked great! (And so did Paul!)

13. INSW

INSW Senior Member

"We found 0 search results for "the geatest band that never was"

I would post a link to the new Rolling Stone piece, but it's not on their website.

It's an article about the Replacements - of course nobody can find it.

Written by Jon Dolan, if anyone has time to search the entire World Wide Web for it.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have the time for it, but nothing comes up with a good search for author and subject.

Are you saying it is or is not online right now?

15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Just saw the Fallon clip. I almost got a little teary-eyed watching it!

popscene, pjc1 and JoeRockhead like this.
  16. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

He also has Sid's bass stance and posture down pat, and didn't Sid usually hold the same kind of Fender Tommy plays? Young Tommy must have had a fascination with Sid.

17. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

That's not a bad thing. As long as he doesn't develop any nasty habits like Sid - I suppose if that was gonna happen it already would have. Tommy was playing an ESP Precision copy from Japan. [​IMG] ESP / Edwards make some great guitars.

18. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

They sounded fantastic!
    More please..

Pavol Stromcek, dee, pjc1 and 2 others like this.
  19. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Just a note--I listened to my old Hootenanny LP yesterday and realized that the chord sequence for Alex Chilton came from the Buck Hill track on side 2.

vonwegen and JoeRockhead like this.
  20. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Don't stay up late much, but this performance - this band - was more than worth it! Best late night gig I've seen this year on tv.

popscene and Stone Turntable like this.
  21. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

I've seen it now at least a dozen times and it's brilliant. Paul seems a little winded by the end of the song, but in a good way. It takes a lot of energy to play and sing a 3 minute song with feeling and passion. And Keith might have gotten them stoned, who knows. A better Sid pic -

[​IMG]

vonwegen likes this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

OK, now you're only half dead to me!

:hugs:

23. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Wow, Richards looking better than evah!

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Just watched the clip again, man I hope these guys can keep it together for an album, there's potential there for it to be a knockout. Love that they have Dave Minehan on guitar.

pjc1 likes this.
  25. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

this makes no sense to me. Literally thousands of bass players could do the job of playing in a band like Guns 'n' Roses. So it must be that Axl happens to like Tommy in particular and enjoy having him in the band, because he could have picked hundreds of other guys. Tommy would face the same odds trying to join any other band -- he's not Marcus Miller on bass.

this is the problem for secondary players when original bands break up. They were in the right place for a brief right time. Paul will at least get a small stream of royalties and requests for movie soundtracks for a while. But for Tommy, Chris (and Trevor Bolder, and Arthur Kane, etc.), that was pretty much it, unless they luck into something else, or suddenly blossom as songwriters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.