The Replacements on Fallon tonight (9/9/14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j4yheindeo, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

I wonder why he'd feel that way. I've always loved his drumming, and Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is a mini-masterpiece, IMO. Make me sad.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, there's definitely something intangible that's missing without his drumming. But I'd rather see them go out without him than not go out at all.

3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The 'Mats were a huge band in the '80s/very early '90s college/alternative scene - far bigger than TMJ ever was in every sense of the word (don't get me wrong - I still harbor an unhealthy love for TMJ 20 years later - but they were practically a footnote at the peak of their popularity). From what I can gather, Let It Be has sold about 250,000, and I'm guessing that Pleased..., Don't Tell A Soul, All Shook Down, and possibly Tim (though that one might be a long shot) each cracked six figures. I'd love to see detailed sales figures that include the pre-Soundscan era, but I'm wild-guessing the 'Mats have probably sold around a million records or so in all (including compilations and downloads). Did they ever go nuts budget-wise or take crazy advances? How expensive was Budweiser, anyway? I have to think they recouped and are getting something back on a regular basis...

I really hope the book coming out next year delves into the label side of things.

quicksrt likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I would guess they did all crack six figures, but I'm not sure that would be enough to recoup their advances. In particular, DTAS, which had the added cost of the aborted and unreleased Tony Berg sessions, as well as whatever they paid Chris Lord-Alge to remix it. I think the costs of music videos and promotion are also recouped for an album, but I'm not positive about that. Sire did spend a lot on DTAS. I remember Roger McGuinn saying back in the 90s that he receives no royalties for the Byrds albums, because Columbia was still recouping costs of his 70s solo albums from the Byrds' royalties. Now Roger's albums were flops it's true, but in the 70s I would think even a flop album on a major label would probably hit low six figures. And Columbia was saying that even with the sales from the Byrds' hits, the solo albums were still unrecouped. So recouping can be pretty difficult without a big hit.

It would be interesting to see sales figures. The old Goldmine article had figures for most of the Twintone albums as of 1994, for what it's worth:
    Stink: 4,000 at time of release and 60,000 total as of 1994.
    Hootenanny: 38,000 at time of release and 60-70,000 total as of 1994.
    Let it Be: 12,000 at time of release and 120,000 by 1994.

5. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Let it Be had to have sold a lot more than 12,000 at time of release, that was a really big album on College Rock Radio. I Will Dare got a decent amount of airplay. It was definitely a bigger album than Hootenany. I remember having to wait for it to be re-stocked at the Rhino Records Store in LA. Nels Cline, Future Guitarist for Wilco, got mad at me for asking for it, apparently he was at his wits end, so many people were trying to get a copy of "Let It Be", right after the Mats toured LA in the fall of '84

d.s.l. likes this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You're right, that 12,000 initial sales for LIB has to be a typo. I should have noted that when I posted it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  7. INSW

INSW Senior Member

That Bastards Of Young video was probably a million dollar production.

Mr. D likes this.
  8. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

do you happen to know whether it's true that, as of about 8-10 years ago, Chris Mars could often be found hanging out at a Starbucks in a major New Jersey college town? I heard this while I was in graduate school there, but -- if you knew the depths of my Replacements fandom you may find this hard to believe -- I never investigated. I figured that if he was through with drumming, Replacements fans past college age were the last people he wanted to hear from; therefore we'd have nothing to talk about. Plus I don't like their coffee.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The bulk of Stinson's money is probably the salary he pulls from AXL. Doubt there's royalties from GNR, let alone any recent GNR(Axl & friends lineup) sales.

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

11. SoundAdvice

The "Songs for Slim" money went straight to Slim without a big company intervening.

Is this a "divorce tour" like Genesis 2007(Phil) or Stone Roses(Ian)?

12. SoundAdvice

IMO, the shows are better without BJ Armstrong.

Hope there is a DVD release. Some 2014 shows had side screens, including the Bumbershoot show with 1 camera crane and probably in HD. Performance was perfect as you could hope.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Supposedly they filmed last night's show, so I hear.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

And don't forget they also did videos for "Hold My Life" and "Left of the Dial" so that's 3 million right there.

15. And don't forget the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment wrecked at the end of the video...

16. SoundAdvice

Good luck clearing a Chuck Berry song. Ask the Presley label/estate.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Here's what my friend Dana saw prior to entering the show yesterday. I don't care if they have to edit Maybelline out... looks like there's going to be a DVD:
    [​IMG]

18. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Throughout the universe, lol...

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hasn't seemed to be much of a problem for the Stones or the Dead.

20. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

more recently, it has been, I believe.

21. SoundAdvice

The Hendrix estate is usually OK with covers, though they've shot down DEVO twice in the past 12 years. Approval when Alan Douglas ran the estate.

22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Exactly. If they felt like truly cashing in, they could have booked a solid week at Midway Stadium, or Target Field for that matter. From the venue to the support acts to the set list to their stage demeanor, everything about the show Saturday was fitting and flattering to the band's legacy. Best "big" concert I've been to in a decade, easily.

23. Guadalahonky

Guadalahonky Forum Resident

I've been looking for the Midway Stadium show thread, I guess this is it. I was at the Midway Stadium show. Earlier on Saturday, I went to Treehouse Records on Lyndale Avenue, then crossed the street and went into the CC Club. For a Mats fan, this is my Graceland. :)

I'd waited nearly 30 years to see that band play and when they did come out on stage to the intro music of 'Surfin' Bird' I was practically too stunned to moved. Great show. Paul isn't one for banter between songs, but Tommy killed me when his introduction to a song was "Wait til you get a load of this crap'. lol

Postscript: If you had a chance to read the City Pages, you will know that Paul and his wife are divorcing and I wonder if this isn't behind the decision for these shows. According to the same City Pages article, the gross for the St Paul show is $600,000 and The Replacements will see $300,000 of that.

Cheepnik and dee like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My bad, I suppose. The most recent archival CD releases from the Dead have Chuck Berry tracks, as does last year's Sunshine Daydream video, but there may have been hurdles behind the scenes that I have not seen mentioned anywhere.

But back on topic, a video release of one of the 'Mats shows, even if they had to cut a bit for licensing reasons, would be fantastic. A Bay Area show in 2015 would also be great. I really thought they would be booked for Outside Lands this year (although I would prefer to see them in some other venue).

25. SoundAdvice

Video licenses are the issue here. Presley's label admitted that Berry's people never responded at all, rather than a denial or asking too much.

One would think licenses are done in advances of a big filming session.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.