The Replacements Tour 2015 - Back by Unpopular Demand!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Teek, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

From Bitchdork...

Paul Westerberg Says The Replacements Just Played Their Final Show

During the band's performance at Primavera Sound today, The Replacements' Paul Westerberg announced that this would be the last time that the band plays together. After saying that the band stayed at the hotel instead of coming in for sound check, he also reportedly said "lazy bastards to the end" and smashed his guitar.

During the Replacements’ reunion tour over the past two months, Paul Westerberg has worn a white t-shirt every night with a letter spray painted onto the front and back, spelling out two different sentences with each side. Fans have pieced together the sentences on the Facebook page Paul’s Shirt, according to which the message reads: “I have always loved you. Now I must whore my past.”

According to a Billboard article last month, the reunited band has produced seven or eight songs over two recording sessions. "It's just a question of what the band wants to ultimately do with them," the band's co-manager, Darren Hill, had said.

Now, a more recent Billboard article cites a source close to the band that says their reunion may be short-lived, and the band announced that it was canceling two make-up shows that were scheduled for next month.

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Saw the "H" show.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was tempted to fly to London and see at least one of the shows. But it's a little too far from the east coast USA, and cash is tight anyway.

But glad the blew into London Town and hammered it home, the city deserves it.

I wonder if there were any famous musicians in the house to see what the fuss was all about, like maybe a Marr, Jones, or a Weller? In the US, and especially the larger cities there are always well known faces out to see Paul.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Saw both Los Angeles dates April 15, and 16. I just wanted to see Paul on stage again, I didn't care if it was billed as Replacements or not.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  5. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

No, no, no!

6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Terrific. Being down at the bottom of the earth I missed the tour and now will never see them. Thanks guys. :sigh:

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You live in Canoga Park, and could not make it to Hollywood for the second coming of a rock & roll god with his disciples?

No, really they will be back. The money was good, nobody here is rich, stay positive.

Back in 1993 I think it was Paul said just before he left the stage "Goodbye Forever"!!! So he likes the drama and stirring up things. He really has no other band top fall back on. This is all that there is. He'll recharge and then come back. Paul is an introvert, introverts get very tired around people, drained and irritable. They need to be alone a lot. So that is all this is, just Paul being tired and grumpy as usual. I think he is feeling a little emotionally exhausted and only temporarily artistically bankrupt. LOLOLOL!!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    George Blair likes this.
  8. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I'm glad it happened at all!

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was wonderful. To see Paul sing with such passion and play with force like a 20 something, and the band so into it as well. And those songs still sound great. I wish I could have seen another show besides the two LA ones.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  10. This would certainly be in line with the Mats' tradition of shooting themselves in the foot, but I suspect it's just Paul being Paul as Quicksrt says above. Stay tuned for more developments.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Watching that clip above led me to this one. Never seen this before.

12. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

I was at the first night at the Camden Roundhouse on Tuesday. Haven't seen them since their last London show at the Marquee in I think 1991. They were brilliant again. This is NOT the time for them to pull the plug on the band!!

13. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

If you mean Mick Jones, he's actually not a big fan. Maybe Paul insulted the Clash back in the day. Either way, MJ recently brought up all the articles over there leading up to the Roundhouse show, mentioned again how he knows I rate them but he's not all that big on them.

14. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I hope this isn't the end. Tommy has bills to pay. Afaik from various interviews he lives modestly. Axl has been good to him. How many underground bands would kill to be playing 3-12k seat shows.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Steve Jones is a fan!

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Canoga Park is a Zappa joke. :) I live in the South Pacific. Someone on the FB group commented that he's broken the band up on stage several times before, starting in 1986, so I won't give up hope of seeing them once I can return home.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I think he's tired of playing with Tommy, who is totally his opposite. And I think he's tired of doing "The Replacements", because, lets face it, this band really isn't. They sound great, and they're all excellent musicians, but for a lot of us, a band called The Replacements left when Bob did. And for sure when Chris did. Paul should go back to concentrating on his solo career, and Tommy can go back to playing with whomever. I'm sure they did ok enough money wise to make sure that everyone can pay their bills for awhile.

parkmebike and quicksrt like this.
  18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

So am I. I didn't see Steve at the Palladium, but I on,y went one of the nights.

19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Saw them at the Masonic; one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, and the single greatest guitar sound ever, absolutely thundering!

I gotta see them again.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

21. dee

dee Senior Member

I believe he may have been construed as to insulting them in one of the Rock magazines back in the day. Was it Rolling Stone or Creem if that was around still, I don't recall. Or Musician. I believe Dave Marsh was the interviewer and wrote the article. The gist of it from what I recall is PW said something to the effect of the Sex Pistols being a cooler and more exciting band. IIRC. There was a little more to it as well, but that's all I remember.

22. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Are there any old Replacements fans who just don't think it's the real "Replacements" without Bob Stinson, you know, the way many between 86-96 would never accept that "Van Hagar" was "Van Halen"?

23. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I went to the show and I'm fully aware that it was the Tommy and Paul show. That said it was still fun. I wonder how many people will see Tommy at Milkboy in Philadelphia tomorrow night?

24. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I find it interesting that Tommy Stinson really doesn't sing harmony vocals with the band now - has he ruined his voice with ciggies and alcohol?

25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Those are the canceled dates from this year's tour. I know it says 2016 but it seems unlikely the shows would be rescheduled on the exact same dates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.