The Replacements Tour 2015 - Back by Unpopular Demand!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Teek, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think everybody acknowledges it's not the "real" Replacements, both due to the missing original members and the almost complete focus on nostalgia. But I think everyone also is of the opinion that it's better than nothing. The situation is not analogous to Van Hagar because Bob is dead, Chris is uninterested, and Slim is incapacitated. If Bob and Chris (or even Slim) were being deliberately excluded it would be a different story, but you can't fault guys for an incomplete reunion when a complete reunion isn't an option.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"You say your favorite band is the Clash/That's fine/I like Kiss."

dee and googlymoogly like this.
  3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Did anyone even think that the whole tour was to come up with a huge payday to take care of Slim?

4. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

No. Bob Stinson is not the replacements, Westerberg is. It's Paul's legacy to do as he pleases. I saw them twice with Bob and I have to say he is the most overrated guitarist in the history of rock and roll. Paul played the best stuff on Tim and all the great stuff on Please To Meet Me. Bob's 'legend' is tiresome.

5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

They did four great records before Tim and Bob is all over those. He was awesome and not overrated at all.

Cyberhog9 and misterclean like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Never seen on lists of the great guitarists, nope never. So you are correct, not over-rated.

7. dee

dee Senior Member

I read a 1986 interview at the time done by Bil Holdship and found it online a little while ago. Made for a good reread. Can't find the Marsh piece from just before or around that same time that was for R&R Confidential that was either about The Replacements or Westerberg. Pistols are mentioned by Paul iirc in probably for what was at the time something bordering on implying a compliment, as I read it, but with a digging caveat too or at least a way of praising the band Paul is in as the real thing - still would like to read the Marsh bit again in more detail but haven't seen it. I remembered The Who comment from the BH interview. Paul also seems about to unload on 'political bands' and stops himself and goes a different route.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Of course he's not. The Mats were a great band, and like all great bands they created a unique musical sound based on their strengths, idiosyncracies, and limitations as musicians. Like all great bands, the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. Westerberg was a great songwriter/singer, but giving all the credit to him is just plain silly. The fact that none of the stuff he's done without them comes close to what he did with them makes it pretty clear how important they were.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nah. I don't think they are so well off they can afford to give their proceeds to Slim. And if that is what they were doing, why wouldn't they say so? Why keep it secret?

misterclean likes this.
  10. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but Westerberg could never even dream to come close to touching the majesty of Bob's ferocious leads when he was in his prime.

Cyberhog9 likes this.
  11. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Ahem, back to celebrating one of 1984's best rock albums (my personal fave of the band)... a good year for mainstream (Prince), soon to be mainstream (Los Lobos), indie (REM) and Texas blues (SRVs follow up to his debut).

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I really was going to let that comment slide and try and be agreeable and get along. But plenty of Paul's recorded output has matched the Mat's stuff. And each of the two albums Tim and PTMM have two or three real clunkers IMO.

Knockin' on Mine is pretty fab, Wonderful Lie is a first rate track, and of course there are many others that are equal.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He's definitely written a lot of great stuff during his solo career but I think his solo recordings lack that spark created by a great, unique band. When I first heard 14 Songs I really liked it but I also couldn't help but imagine how much better it would have been with the Mats backing him. Sure there are duds on the Mats albums, but a good band makes even the duds fun to listen to. The Mats made his bad songs good, his good songs great, and his great songs even greater.

Sandinista likes this.
  14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Tommy is pretty set at this point, unless he literally lost all that GNR money. He could help Slim out if so inclined. Maybe he did, who knows.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

One never has enough unless you have 50 million in the bank. There is always the house to pay off, then the taxes on it, child support, and it goes on and on.

But it does appear he will not have to "whore himself out" again on a G n R tour unless he wants to.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  16. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

I'm not sure how much GnR is paying Tommy. In 2007 he was renting a quadplex in Glendale. I know this because I met him when I was out there visiting a friend of mine. We were sitting in the shared backyard late one afternoon when Tommy stepped out of his unit holding a baby and asked if he could snip some rosemary. I sat there with my mouth wide open like an idiot for about 15 seconds until I could find my tongue. For the record, nicest guy imaginable.

Fullbug, budwhite, boboquisp and 2 others like this.
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

And if not for Paul Bob would have never left his mom's basement.

quicksrt likes this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

Understood. Musicians can say nasty or just very honest, unflattering things about another musician's songs or performances. As alluded to in an earlier post, in a little more general terms, and now after reading a few more quotes, Paul reportedly winces during a Guitar Player or Guitar mag interview when Mick Jones is cited as an influence on his playing. Also, in 1987 Musician interview he says Strummer can't sing and that he (Paul) bought Pistols and Clash records the same day and returned The Clash one to the store. He did have a few very positive things to say about the energy and approach of the band and who they might be as people, London Calling, and a bit more like the powerful personal experience when he saw them in concert, though some of those things are arguably diminished by further comments about the poor sound (which is apparently belied by a very good quality aud recording - though that could mean anything) and where the band went before or at the time of Sandinista! as well as additional quotes. Maybe he enjoys their music more now, maybe not. In print, Tommy was and still is apparently a fan or admirer of the band, or 'Rope' and of Joe. It comes with the territory unfortunately. At least back then, Paul in print was not much a fan of their music or any of the political aspect in their work. Well it feels good to be music fans of both as we are and I would really love to hear Paul and Tommy and the other replacements in concert one more time as its been too long an absence for me since the All Shook Down tour.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If I was Mick Jones I would've gone and seen the Mats. Just to see what the fuss was about, and to see an artist(s) out there rocking to supposed real rock / roll at post age 50.

Can you imagine if M. Jones was invited up to join the Mats on a Pistols cover late in their set in London.

20. vamborules

Tommy and his band sound really good.

EricSwan and mdm08033 like this.
  21. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

What's the name of Tommy's band? Who's the bass player? What's the name of the song they play, it rocks!

22. vamborules

The bass player is Catherine Popper. I don't know what the song is called, and there's no band name as far as I know.

23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Well, I assume he would have said no. I also assume he wouldn't have been invited. Mick has become closer to some former Clash badmouthers like Paul Weller and Billy Bragg, appearing on stage with each, but he goes to enough gigs that the Replacements didn't tempt him. Interestingly, Mick is something of an Alex Chilton fan.

Paul's pro-Reagan comments back in the day likely endeared him to the Clash as much as the Clash's politics appatently endeared them to Paul. But the comments that Joe couldn't sing would've been the ones Mick remembered worst.

24. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

True, but you could probably say the same about Paul had he never stumbled upon 'Dogbreath'.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, not really. I think Paul could have been playing solo in front of 7-11 and been discovered. No not really that either. But Paul likely would have found another band, as he had been playing guitar for a while.

JoeRockhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.