The Replacements vinyl box sets coming Summer 2015*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...-track-recording-new?mobile_redirection=false

"Meanwhile, the Replacements have a number of projects in the works: this summer Rhino will release two previously unannounced vinyl box sets consisting of the band's Twin\Tone years (the holy quartet of Sorry Ma, I Forgot to Take Out the Garbage, Stink, Hootenanny and Let it Be) and Sire releases (Tim, Pleased to Meet Me, Don't Tell a Soul and All Shook Down)."

Great news!

2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

If Rhino have the rights to the Twin/Tone and the Sire releases why are they doing 2 box sets rather than just one? That makes no sense to me at all.

3. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I hope they release these separately. I have original pressings off all the twin tone releases, except stink, which is going for an absurd price these days. I would love to get stink on vinyl at a reasonable cost.

4. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Eh, makes sense to me. A lot of people don't care for much of the Sire catalog, though I am not one of them. Those who don't like the Sire years might not shell out for a box set containing the full discography.

stevenalejandro likes this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

No bonus cassette of The **** Hits the Fans? :)

6. :D

schelti, K. Jones and redsock like this.
  7. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Now somebody find out a release date. :D

8. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

You think? I thought it might be the other way around. The Twin Tone records are rare and "legendary," but until Let It Be they are more attitude than music. Stink is only 15 minutes long, with several songs that sound like they were made up on the spot.

It's also possible that Rhino is working with two different licensors, who prefer not to mix the two catalogs.

9. Amnesiac

10. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

And it still contains more fun and exciting music than the band's full post-Tim catalog.

11. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Ha, don't get me wrong, I love it, too! In part because I remember the band's wild shows during this period. But I'd never put it ahead of Pleased to Meet Me myself.

quicksrt and NaturalD like this.
  12. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I am sure some like the Sire years more than the TT years, but the logic works either way. But I do think there is a sizable segment of Matts fans who think the post-Bob years do not count as The Replacements.

NaturalD likes this.
  13. Avenging Robot

I don't pretend to speak for most fans but it seems to me most like a bare minimum of at least 2 Sire albums.

DJMurphy and quicksrt like this.
  14. Avenging Robot

Then there are others who feel that Pleased to Meet Me is the best Replacements album...

15. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Tim, probably. I remember a lot of people crying sellout when they jumped to sire. Even the band itself, in some respect. Whatever, I see logic in splitting the box sets in this way, especially if the albums are also released separately.

16. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Of course. It's my second favorite, behind Tim. Both Sire.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  17. Avenging Robot

To me it cuts the musical progression mid-stream.

It's like if the Rolling Stones had one company controlling their entire catalog and still deciding to put Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street in a separate box set apart from Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed.

18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Best album of the '80s, period!:righton:

nuclear_error likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They sell more if they split it this way. If it was 3 of 4 of the ones in a box I would buy that, but instead I'll wait for the individual releases.

20. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I see your point. To me it splits the musical progression at exactly the right point, separating the young punk rockers and the more mature songwriters. I love both halves of the band, and I have always considered their career as being split in this way.

GreenFuz, lightbulb and s m @ like this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's the second best. Sorry Ma is first. My opinion is fact, so there's no point in further discussion.

Regarding this upcoming vinyl, I hope they don't use the flawed 2008 CD masters. But I have a bad feeling they will.

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Sorry Ma is their best album for sure.

GreenFuz, Jimmy B., K. Jones and 3 others like this.
  23. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

Daniel Thomas, Gaslight and NaturalD like this.
  24. Amnesiac

Hopefully these aren't too much. $60 per set would be ideal but it'll probably be more like $100 each.

25. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I bet that ends up an RSD item for 80 bucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.