The Replacements vinyl box sets coming Summer 2015*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the box set of the Twin/Tone releases; the only one I already have on vinyl is Stink.

2. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I get it ...Box 1 is independent era and Box 2 is Major era...However,unless they are using the latest re-masters for DTAS and ASD (doubtful) which were superior to the last overhaul that came prior,what's the point?

Tim will never sound better because it was recorded,mixed and mastered for s**t on headphones by Tommy "Ramone",but unless they want to spend some cash to warm up the cold digital sound of PTMM,there is very little incentive to buy box 2 unless you don't have originals or the latest re-masters of DTAS and ASD which are still available (and sound much better) at reasonable prices.

3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I'm in for the Twin/Tone box - those original records are getting pricey.

Blender likes this.
  4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

So it's going to happen after all?

6. Dudley Canuck

Dudley Canuck Active Member

Great to hear but I'm still waiting for their outtakes to surface.
    I have all the original twintones and sire albums but when I was at my local Import shop way back a guy picked up a rare outtake album and noticed my panicking ..he bought it.
    I was devastated as I was the biggest Mats fan back then.
    I was such a big fan that I bought ANY band Paul would mention...NRBQ, Strawberries, Young Fresh Fellows and even the horrible knock-off band Goo Goo Dolls.

Hootenanny, Let It Be and Tim are my favorites since I discovered them with Hoot.
    Please is also great but it's a little too Pop and suffers from the digital recording.

7. Dudley Canuck

This has been out on a Bootleg vinyl/CD for some time.
    I have the CD with another better concert (highlights).
    S h i t, imo is just a curio.

8. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I would.

As much as I tried, I just couldn't get into this LP. When I heard the string arraignment on Can't Hardly Wait. That sealed the deal for me. The Raw was scraped away and we now had a very polished sound that never felt quite right. This was no longer a band I could relate to. The Ledge is the best song on that disc. Want to hear the proper version of Can't Hardly Wait, check out the cassette The s**t hit's the Fans.

9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

There are at least three other versions of Can't Hardly Wait out there. I personally like the acoustic demo the best.

10. drivingtheview

drivingtheview Not forever just for now

All of the 'Can't Hardly Wait' versions are bad ass. I still love the original horns. But 'The Tim Version' is 'Mats rock n roll at their finest. One of the great rock songs ever. Hard to believe it's 30 years old. Westerberg's voice always imperfectly perfect

ShawnX and c-eling like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, there's five released versions of "Can't Hardly Wait" to choose from: acoustic and electric versions produced by Chilton in January 1985, the outtake from the Tim sessions that's missing the guitar solo, the horns-free version from the PTMM sessions, and finally the originally-released version with the rewritten lyrics and horns. And strangely, none of them seem definitive. The Tim version likely would have been it, if they'd only gotten Bob to overdub his solo.

12. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

The Tim version is my favourite by far

ShawnX and hiddman like this.
  13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Has anyone come across any info on source material and what the records were cut from?

Vinyl_Blues and ShawnX like this.
  14. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I've been waiting for this since the announcement. Preordered. You know, I have all 4 of their "major label" originals on vinyl, but the only Twin Tone LP I have is 'Hootenanny.' They all run so expensive nowadays. My hope is that even if these reissues are mastered poorly, at the very least the prices of the originals will come back down.

15. Dudley Canuck

I have everything including BOINK.
    And I'm thrilled to say I found someone generously making the rarities available as a download yesterday :)
    It's not vinyl in my hands but it's better than nothing.

16. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I just received an email from Dr. Rhino-

“Cut from the Rhino remasters from 2008 by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Mastering”

:shake:

17. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Sad face. I guess that means not good.

18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Sometimes these remasters transfer well to vinyl, compared to the cd editions, (New Order,Depeche Mode come to mind) we'll see

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The sad face is because most of the 2008 Rhino remasters have editing mistakes and/or mastering errors which will likely be replicated on these new LPs. Here's the summary of the problems with the 2008 masters:

Stink: It sounds like there's some tape damage on the first two seconds of "White and Lazy." It starts out muffled and drop-outty, and then the volume suddenly increases about 1.5 seconds in. It's not this way on any previous release. If it's is a problem with the master tape, it could have been easily fixed by editing in a piece from another source.

Hootenanny: The first four seconds of "Willpower" (some guitar noodling before the initial drum beat) are cut off.

Let it Be: Westerberg's count-in is edited off "Answering Machine." Also, the original release of "Black Diamond" had about four seconds of mostly silence at the beginning, in which you can barely hear a jingling sound (like a tambourine or keys jingling). This has been edited off.

Tim: The count-in and chatter at the beginning of "Left of the Dial" are omitted.

Pleased to Meet Me: The beginning of "Nevermind" is clipped, with a split second cut off. Also, there is an audible digital glitch at the beginning of "Can't Hardly Wait."

kickercs, Daniel Thomas and c-eling like this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Doesn't everybody already have these albums?

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It does seem amazing to me that the Twintone albums are now sought-after and expensive. They used to be plentiful in all the indie stores in the early 90s.

black sheriff and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

Yes, but some of us weirdo's like multiple editions of everything, i'll give you the dancing pineapple as proof of our/my idiocy :laugh:
    :pineapple:

BeardedSteven likes this.
  23. c-eling

I remember seeing the early cd pressings being very high compared to the vinyl back then, I should of grabbed em, but I was doing quite a bit of traveling in the 90's

24. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

As much as it may seem the recent past to us, that was 20 to 25 years ago. That would be like a 50-year old jazz fan in 1990 marveling how Blue Note LPs had gotten expensive when they were plentiful in the '60s.

25. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

The definitive version of "Can't Hardly Wait" is without a doubt on "The S*** Hits The Fans". Chris Mars drumming is rock solid on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.