The Resurrection of Santana

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwjeffrey, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest! Thread Starter

Since the Santana IV Thread was locked.I'm going to start this one,there was talk about the Santana 3 Band breaking up and the reasons why.I found this article from Rolling Stone.It's an interview with Carlos and the other Band Members on what happen.The Article is from 1972 .The Resurrection of Santana – Rolling Stone

phonograph, ParloFax, DTK and 2 others like this.
  2. rogsherwood

rogsherwood Forum Resident

That is a fantastic article - thank you. Huge fan of Carlos and the band growing up and did not know any of this stuff. Reading that, it’s no surprise that he found spirituality and went *deep* into it...

Former Lee Warmer and jwjeffrey like this.
  3. tug_of_war likes this.
  4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

He's had several resurrections - literally each decade. The guy just keeps making good music.

sberger, lucan_g, markp and 4 others like this.
  5. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest! Thread Starter

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

saw him last spring, simply wonderful.

7. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Santana to release new EP, In Search Of Mona Lisa

7 January, 2019

On January 25, Carlos Santana imprints his familiar band logo onto a small 5-track EP of new original music. The new EP is being called In Search of Mona Lisa. This new batch of music was heavily inspired by the original art piece on display at Paris’ classic Louvre Museum. A vinyl EP edition will be available on February 22.

Currently, Santana is touring the US. The summer will bring a brand new full-length Santana album.

In Search Of Mona LisaSantana

01 Do You Remember Me
    02 In Search Of Mona Lisa
    03 Lovers From Another Time
    04 Do You Remember Me (Edit)
    05 In Search Of Mona Lisa (Edit)

8. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident

The link doesn't work for me in UK. Could you please tell me if Carlos' book covers a lot about the music, his equipment and compositions or is it more a general life story? Have you read Soul Sacrifice : The Santana Story? Is that any good?

I am looking for a good book that focuses on Santana's music more than his life. Cheers:)

9. rogsherwood

rogsherwood Forum Resident

I just finished The Universal Tone. Predominantly life story but there are some details on the music - inspiration, musicians, background, etc. A lot of focus on the first 4 albums especially. He talks a little about his change to Paul Reed guitars but that's about it on the equipment side of things.

babaluma and Panama Hotel like this.
  10. Carlos talks a bit about Mesa Boogie amps, too. He was one of the first users, liked them a lot, and gave them commercial endorsement. I think Mesa Boogie got started in the early 1970s. That's pretty well-known, as is his endorsement of PRS guitars in more recent years.

Carlos also goes into some detail about his musical influences, and his quest to improve as a player. Most of that is already out there- he got an early start as the son of a musician, got into electric guitar and the blues as a teenager- particularly B. B. King- then discovered Tito Puente, the Butterfield Blues Band, the 1960s San Francisco groups, Gabor Szabo, Fleetwood Mac, Clapton, Hendrix, Sly, Mongo Santamaria, Miles, Airto, Wayne Shorter...a great set of influences that led him and his bandmates to come up with the classic Santana sound.

babaluma likes this.
  11. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Looking forward to seeing him live in Vegas in a couple weeks.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Produced by Rick Rubin, sez the release.

13. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

The Universal Tone book was really good I thought. Very enlightening,
    I haven't caught one of the residency shows here in Vegas yet, but really need to.
    I missed that live Santana show for IV that happened but saw them a bunch of times back in the day,
    always a great show, I freaked out when I found out they were recording Santana IV right down the street
    from where I live now!

babaluma likes this.
  14. granola

granola Forum Resident

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats great

16. granola

granola Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I saw the band, Santana in (I believe it was) 1969 and then the man, Carlos Santana, as part of the backing band for John Lee Hooker in March, 1989. The Santana show was good but seeing Carlos with John Lee Hooker is far more memorable for me. That show started of very slow, but after a while Hooker and company loosened up and built up steam until it was like a religious revival. Incredible.

longdist01, RiRiIII and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One thing you can count on from Carlos Santana is he always has a great sounding band. Not always a fan of his music but always a great band.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does anyone know if these 3 songs will be included in the album that is coming out in the spring?

i hate to spring for the 10 bucks for the EP and then have the songs come out on the album too. and that seems to be the thing to do nowadays, sadly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

that's what I was wondering and why I didn't buy this yet. the new songs sound great though

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he played 'mona lisa' when i saw him in the fall.

i will not buy this though if he plans on putting the songs on the album, the problem though is that there is no way to know :(

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

who produced this EP? if its different from who is producing the full length album then doubt they will be on that

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I found his book; The Universal Tone, to be a light, soft, and whitewashed read. To read it one would never know that Carlos & co. were in one of Rock's most notorious bands during the music's greatest period. I knew girls who got backstage at the Fillmore. Lemmetellya, the stories they told me about Carlos and Chepito are nowhere to be found in the book!;)

drobo and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

narada michael walden.

not sure if he produced the album, but i think i read somewhere that he did.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

isn't the album due this summer from Santana a big name producer? rick rubin maybe or don was?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.