The Retrieval (indie film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm sure others have a list of movies in their "saved titles" at Netflix, just waiting . . . and hoping . . . they will become "live" fodder, and can be streamed or rented on DVD.

This indie movie is slated for released on 2/3/2015 on DVD from Netflix, and it is streaming now. I noticed a trailer of it about six months ago, and that trailer piqued my interest.

The narrative follows a young black boy who is forced to work with bounty hunters in helping to run down fugitive slaves or freedmen. It is set against the background of the Civil War (1864), and features a terrific cast of actors. It got 92% on the tomatometer (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_retrieval/?search=the retrieval) and was not widely reviewed (23 positive, 2 negative).

It is simply terrific. This is how to make a movie on a small budget. [I don't think we should compare it at all to 12 Years A Slave. That is a fine movie and completely different (and not Steve McQueen's best work, for which see Hunger).] Ashton Sanders (young boy) and Tishuan Scott give solid, authentic performances.

Judge the Retrieval on its own, and it stands up well, very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.