The return of vinyl - Newsnight

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dear oh dear, just watched this on YouTube. Clueless doesn’t even come close...especially the bit about ‘I like to have the top and bottom of the frequency range’. :p I actually found much of this quite amusing....

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Johnny Sharp or whatever his name was (in blue) seemed like a clueless naysayer. Say whatever you want about vinyl but dull and muffled is not legit. The other two were with it for the most part ( frequencies?) and probably more so than they wanted to admit. IMHO:)

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Dude from Hot Chip.

4. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

There is no treble or bass loss - provided you have very good turntable/arm and cartridge. Unfortunately, most people had crappy 1980s rubbish tables and yes those were horrid. $15 cartridges that were on their 8,000th hour when they're good for 400 hours kind of destroys the highs and lows and sound muffled. LOL.

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Which is why (IMHO) most people gave up their vinyl for the brand new CD format. And the convenience factor as well.

jeff

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. Richard Austen

I did the same thing - then I auditioned a Voyd Reference turntable with quality arm and cartridge and that sinking feeling of why did I throw away my records - and worse my parents records filled with original Beatles and Elvis Presley albums. Oops. That along with having my bike spokes filled with rookie and early Gretsky hockey cards that go for a bomb each - shudder :oops::rolleyes::mudscrying:

8. richbdd01

I think the thing that makes me laugh is that it’s completely the opposite of my experience. I feel that cd’s had a much poorer bass response in comparison to vinyl.

The thing is that unless you have a decent turntable, phono stage and cart then you’re not in a position to make a judgement on what is better? Johnny Sharp obviously had quite a relatively poor sounding setup and it would be understandable that you would prefer cd, as it WILL usually sound clearer than a really basic, budget turntable setup.

displayname likes this.
  9. Richard Austen

And to be fair to CD - it was new in the 1980s and most of the machines stunk and most of the recordings were just copied over. SO here you have turntables with 40 years of improvements and the first bunch of CD kind of sucked. Fast forward to today and CD can be very good indeed. And the players (some of them) will trounce a lot of turntables. It still mainly comes down to the recording though - a great recording on either format beats a weak recording on the opposing format.

CD also doesn't have the defects that vinyl has. I want to buy several analog planet LPs but they are very expensive and it makes me not want to wade into them for the disappointment and hassle if they suck. This doesn't happen with CD.

luckybaer likes this.
  10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

They are on the internet so it must be true........

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The same could be said for this forum.

12. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I remember watching this when it was broadcast, a good 18 months ago (or so). How come it's being posted now?

13. richbdd01

Cos im doing it JUST to annoy you :)

14. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Doesn't annoy me, old boy. I just wondered if the timing of it had any significance. Perhaps not...

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The forum clocks run slowly.

Rap and Madonna are still fairly new, for example.

16. JRob1125

JRob1125 Well-Known Member

Crazy how most people have never heard how vinyl is supposed to sound. Even a cheap catridge with a .4 x .7 elliptical would shock the average person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.