The Revenant (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alejandro Iñárritu follows up Birdman with a grisly western starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Looks intense.

lbangs likes this.
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I only watched 45 seconds, and should it get good to great reviews, I am in. This appears to be a remake of the 1971 film "Man In The Wilderness," with the fantastic actor Richard Harris. I am glad this remake is in Inarritu's hands -- there is good reason to be optimistic.

lbangs likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I can't see the title "The Revenant" without thinking of the wacky vampire movie of the same name, from the 2000's.

4. mikeyt

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I just saw this film, it is by far the best film of 2015. I love the realism/naturalism and overall ambience of the film. I hope this is one for the ages. It very well deserves to be ....

Metralla likes this.
  6. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Looking forward to this. Tell me more...

7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i've read that the bear scene is simply remarkable.

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

For me, The Revenant is easily the most anticipated movie of the "fall" movie season (even if it won't be released until January 2016). I was immediately entranced by the wide open shots of bone-chillin' cold in remote wilderness, the adventure and discovery, and the wonder of coming into contact with an alien, non-European culture (Indians). I get so tired of cartoonish action that goes along with CGI.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Except for the bear, zero CGI. Very, very natural and organic. Absolutely beautiful. You'll feel like you are out there. This movie will have you freezing in your seat. Absolutely stunning action sequences. A few will take your breath away.

Not much "wonder" about meeting another race. In the setting of the film, the European settlers are already dyed in the wool Indian slaughterers and haters.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    townsend and mikeyt like this.
  11. mikeyt

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah the Red Camera website used to have a sensor comparison for their cameras on their site a few years back. Some big ass sensors they can use.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

my brother in law worked on the bear for that, I can't wait to see it.

2xUeL and Umbari like this.
  14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I can imagine. I happen to have just finished reading James Axtell, The Invasion Within: The Contest of Cultures on North America (1985), where he focuses on the interaction between Indian, French, and English cultures as they collide in the struggle to dominate the northern eastern U.S. Some of the book was kind of slow, but I was captivated esp. by chapter 13, "The White Indians," pp. 302-27, which discusses white English settlers (adults and children) who were captured and/or simply adopted (e.g., traders, trappers) the Indian way of life. As Hector de Crevecoeur (an American farmer) wrote (w/ only slight exaggeration), "thousands of Europeans are Indians, and we have no examples of even one of those Aborigines [= Indians] having from choice become Europeans. " Of course, the younger the better, in that the white captives were intended to "replace" members of the tribe that had died. These captives were immediately accepted as equals (to native children) in the family and the tribe -- there was no discrimination between captive and native born offspring.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  15. masswriter

it brings to mind how Blood Meridian might look if it was tackled by the same director.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

yes... This has my favorite nature cinematography since Aguirre, The Wrath of God. It's "YOU ARE THERE" photography. Manhola Dargis of the NYT just dismissed it. She's going to be so sorry she said that... She missed the magic of the cinema Lumiere.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. masswriter

as did some jaded critic from Film Comment

18. redshift1

redshift1 Member

I am looking forward to this movie and the Dargis review did nothing to dissuade me.

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Really looking forward to this. Just re-watched "Birdman" yesterday and loved it as much as the firs time.

lbangs and mikeyt like this.
  20. mikeyt

This film is an entirely different beast. It's beautiful and poetic in a brutal way, but I don't think has the layers that Birdman does. Set your expectations accordingly.

Deesky likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, I didn't think this looked to be anything like "Birdman". But really having liked what Inarritu did with "Birdman", I'll watch what he puts out in any genre.

GodShifter and mikeyt like this.
  22. mikeyt

I feel like a lot of the negative reviews I've read were b/c the reviewer expected a different kind of depth, something like what Birdman provided, and b/c of that expectation the film is flying above their heads a bit. I'm with you on Inarritu, he's beginning the stage of his career where he's going to give us some amazing work in the years to come. I'm looking forward to it.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I loved most of the bear scene with the way it seemed to be physically tossing DiCaprio around like a rag doll, but while the CGI was convincing, it wasn't perfect. Something about the fur. Actually not the fur itself, but the way the fur draped over the body didn't look right. You didn't get the sense of there being a bulk of muscle and fat under the fur. Still, that's just a minor geek observation in an otherwise well done scene.

That's a perfect way to describe it. The scenery is breathtaking. At its heart, it's a simple revenge plot, but it's told in such a visceral fashion that your attention never strays for a second.

I also chuckled at the Han Solo scene
    where DiCaprio cuts open the dead horse, Tauntaun style, eviscerates it and climbs into the cavity for protection from the cold.

turnersmemo, Umbari and mikeyt like this.
  24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The few reviews I've read that comment negatively on the movie still praise the cinematography as being stunning. Given that film is a moving picture, that's often reason enough for me to see a film, other weaknesses notwithstanding.

John K.

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Could also be titled "That Poor B@stard".

Glenn Christense, matty j and barnaby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.