"The Right Stuff"(1983-30th Anniversary Edition)blu-ray coming Nov. 5th, 2013!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

This Philip Kaufman-directed/scripted docudrama based on Tom Wolfe's book about the early days of NASA and the US space program is now available at Amazon.com for $19.59...it's a 2-disc set loaded with extras and featuring a new 4k-Ultra HD video transfer and lossless Dolby True HD 96k/24-bit 5.1-channel surround audio...stars Ed Harris, Fred Ward, Barbara Hershey, Veronica Cartwright, Jeff Goldblum, Scott Glenn, Dennis Quaid and Sam Shepherd as Gen. Chuck Yeager...

G E and Thurenity like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Long version or theater cut?

3. lukejosephchung

Running time spec is 193 minutes, Steve...

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I used to adore this movie. Read the book; great book. It's a fun movie. I loved the casting of the astronauts.

fr in sc and alexpop like this.
  6. Myke

Is Levon helm's part large or small ? I've never seen this.

7. Steve Hoffman

He's the drummer in the movie.

Steve Litos and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  8. Myke

As he was in Three Burials, and Coal Miner's Daughter. Cool.

Jack Ridley, Narrator. Thanks IMDB.

9. Steve Hoffman

Really, I thought you were kidding. Never saw THE RIGHT STUFF? One of the greatest films. You should see it, preferably on a big screen.

G E, alexpop and lukejosephchung like this.
  10. lukejosephchung

Been waiting 6 years for Warner to finally give this movie the full HD treatment...glad the waiting's nearly over!!!

11. Myke

I was busy becoming a father that year, and music and movies both took a back seat. In the 30 years since, it's never come up, and I don't watch edited, commercially-interrupted movies on TV.

12. conception

conception Forum Resident

I recently listen this one in the "still not out on blu-ray" thread, and somebody corrected me. This is going to be one that I will simply have to tell my wife is a must-buy for Christmas this year. Not only is it a well-made film, it's subject matter is one of the most thrilling endeavors in our history.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  13. lukejosephchung

If I remember correctly Bill Conti won an Oscar for composing the epic score for this movie...what a thrill it will be to hear it in lossless 96k/24-bit surround!!!

chilinvilin likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the fact that the director played with CGI for the rockets and planes hurtling through space and came to the decision that the best, truest way to get a feel for that was to having actually models zipping across the screen. Of course this was a long time ago in CGI terms. But they do look cool.

Steve Litos and alexpop like this.
  15. lukejosephchung

This movie is 30 years old, Chadbang...CGI wasn't ready for prime time back then!!! Everything WAS done with opticals, live action and models in those days...by ILM, which had a CGI department that eventually became Pixar Studios!!!

chilinvilin and Vidiot like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

But I remember the director saying they played with alternatives and the old 'model in flight' way (I think they just launched the things) still gave the truest illusion of speed. I dont know what the alternative would have been back then. Blue screen?

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, blue screen. I guess that's what I was thinking about.

Kaufman fills the screen with inspired iconic frames. There’s the much referenced long shot of the seven astronauts walking down the hall toward the camera on their way to a press conference. There are numerous shots glorifying Yeager, including his heroic walk back to the base after his final crash. And there are the images of John Glenn, Neil Armstrong and Gordon Cooper jammed in their cockpits looking up into the awe of space.

The special effects are a marvel and completely invisible to the audience. There’s little or no noticeable blue screen work, instead the near lost art of model making, awesome aerial camera work and untraditional light and chemical effects.

18. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

This is one of my "once you catch it on TV I have to keep watching it" films.

19. lukejosephchung

Hope you have a strong bladder because it's 3 hours and 13 minutes long!!!:winkgrin:

Thurenity likes this.
  20. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

That's the worst part, I know!! But it's great film and I can watch it repeatedly.

21. Myke

I know you're joking since we now can pause, etc., but don't you love when a film is so good you try to convince yourself you can make it...

22. A great movie and one of the first I got to work on I the production side of things as a student. I worked on the section shot at the decommissioned Hamilton Air Force Base on San Rafael, Ca (which was demolished to make way for houses later). The mock up of the Mercury capsule was very cool to observe first hand. Wonder whatever harmed to that.

A crew member with supposed criminal ties was stealing stuff on site. we would go in and every couple of days equipment or a prop that had already been used would have vanished. Eventually the studio hired security guards to stay at the hanger where they were storing props and equipment. I saw the film a couple of years later after having read the script and storyboards and it did not disappoint.

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

One of the few 'long movies' that never seems long. In fact I always feel a little down when it ends.

fr in sc likes this.
  24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

One of my favorite movies. I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have never seen this, but I am going to buy the blu-ray day 1. Sounds like an awesome movie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.