"The Right Stuff"(1983-30th Anniversary Edition)blu-ray coming Nov. 5th, 2013!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dances With Wolves can also be found in the $7.88 Blu-ray bin at Walmart.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I will be funny if Dances With Wolves and The Right Stuff are eventually released as a combo pack.

Looking forward to getting The Right Stuff tomorrow, I have never seen it.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just found out the "Right Stuff" BD does NOT include the music video for the New Kids on the Block performance of the theme song! NO SALE!!!! BOYCOTT!!!!

4. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

:biglaugh:Sometimes, you REALLY crack me up, Colin...lol!!!

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Must have for me!

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

An American classic!

Oddly, I know some folks who worked on it and they cringe at the memories of the behind-the-scenes battles. "A bloodbath," is how one of the editors refers to it.

All I know is, I love it.

chilinvilin likes this.
  8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I thought this edition of The Right Stuff was supposed to have that Dolby TrueHD upsampled 24/96 track? Blu-ray.com is listing it as 16/48. Anyone have this yet and can confirm? Seems silly to "upsample" it, if the audio is on 70mm tape why not transfer it directly to 24/96?

That's very cool, I was concerned about squeezing it all on to one disc but it looks pretty good. I wonder if they'll do a 2 disc version some day, would be interested to see what was left on the table. Definitely the best I've ever seen the film look and I'm glad it's the full 4 hour cut, wonderful movie and one of my all time faves. The audio on the BD is great.

9. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

From the Earth to the Moon next please!

Dugan likes this.
  10. The Hud

There is a sticker on the package that says "upsampled to 96", and my PS3 is saying 48.

11. During the shooting while it didn't seem like it was perfect harmony, the creative folks seemed to get along.

Myke likes this.
  12. Lol. It's also missing this Improtant Bryan Ferry theme song....music video.....no sale!

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Isn't that the truth!

14. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Just got this last night. The only brick-and-mortar source here was a Barnes and Noble. Kudos to them for a) stocking it and b) making it super easy to use the web to reserve my copy at the store.

This movie is in my all-time top five, easily. I consider it the Citizen Kane of the second half of the twentieth century. So far I'm thrilled by the Blu-Ray. Both image and sound are first-rate. I wish there were a deluxe edition along the lines of Blade Runner or even Brazil. I'd love to see what the Criterion Collection would do with this film. There must be a ton of production materials out there. The principal actors and crew are still with us and I know they have more to say than we have on these discs.

In the meantime, though, I'm loving this film. Again. Thanks to everyone involved in the film and in this release. I think about how hard and unlikely it is to make such a masterpiece, and I think to myself: this is our species at our finest. And luckiest!

15. I don't know how much of the storyboards were saved but, as I recall, the major sequences were all story boarded and they would make a cool comparison to the finished product.

It's a pity that the second disc is all in SD but all of those features may have been sot in SD video to begin with. A commentary track with Kaufman or the cast would have been nice. Warner did a good job of translating this to the high def realm.

I would have liked a doc on the mako g of the film which went through quite a few directors and at least one completed script by William Goldman which Kaufman tossed. Be interesting to compare and contrast this. Also, some of the astronauts while they were alive were some what critical of the film when it was released as I recall.

Myke likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

:confused: There are commentaries - they're scene-specific, but there are two of them on the second disc...

17. Ah,well I missed that. Thanks. Didn't realize they had carried over that extra (don't remember seeing it...but I put it in and did something as my wife hit play).

You do mean the Blu ray right and the first disc since the entire movie is on the first disc?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  18. Don't see it in the main menu for the Blu-ray first disc for the film. Edit--you're referring to the original cast commentary/crew for selected scenes from the second disc. I was referring to a full commentary track on the feature film itself. This is just a duplicate of what was on the second disc of the previous release (and its DVD).

19. Oatsdad

Understood - just not sure if you realized there was SOME commentary! :)

While a full-film commentary sounds good, I would guess that they attempted this and it flopped - that's why we have the scene-select tracks. I've heard enough full-movie commentaries with tons of dead air that I'm happier with this treatment than I would be if I had to sit through three hours of movie for 49 minutes of content! :)

20. Good point. I've experienced the same thing as well with some previous releases as well. I think they probably could have cobbled together enough good comments but it would probably have been fairly expensive to do so.

Nevertheless, I am happy with the transfer they've done here. It looks quite nice and I am happy to have it on Blu.

Myke likes this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Finally going to see this. $15.99 at Amazon is THE lowest price anywhere I checked, including eBay, so I've finally grabbed myself a copy.

22. Great movie. Shooting it was (for my experience limited as it was) fun.

chilinvilin and Myke like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

an essential film to ones library. I have the 2 DVD set...works for me.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it is! let us know how you love it!

25. The Hud

I do love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.