The rising cost of new Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Funky54, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think it was the final push for PONO(slight chance it was for VOLT cars), but Neil was looking for rich people to fund one of his pet projects.

2. SoundAdvice

Hendrix did EIGHT disc vinyl boxes for a bit less. Those have far more archive work that Neil fishing out a single shelf of DAT tapes.

3. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Status has ZERO to do with the fact I prefer to buy vinyl. And it is about listening pleasure.

Paully and VinyLen like this.
  4. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Voucher for using NY song in president campaign Not Included.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think we've been involved with RSD since 2011 and I think I actually went to the first one here in the UK, back when about five people turned up and the stock fitted on one shelf and all the really nice things were still there a week later as the flippers hadn't cottoned on, not only have many of the releases got sillier, but for the last two or three years more and more small/indie labels have ended up missing RSD as they have been pushed down the pressing queue, there are plenty of releases that don't totally conform to RSD rules, especially in pressing numbers and to be honest RSD can't stop any label from scheduling a limited edition release for the same day, in the UK most releases don't have official RSD stickers.

Don't get me wrong, I support RSD, it works for us as a small label, I also go and queue up at a ridiculous time as a consumer and my shelves are full of some really nice RSD exclusives I've picked up over the last few years, it's fantastic to see shops rammed with record buyers, I really enjoy the comradery as well, but there are definitely some issues, I think shops full of new records selling a good amount of vinyl every day not just once or twice a year is what we all want and perhaps we are getting there.

panasoffkee likes this.
  6. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Just curious what what you were paying for a CD in those days? I was only 6 then but I think I remember seeing prices like $16.99 when looking at CDs for my father. That must be painful for all the people that dropped that kind of money on CDs. Even in the 90s, I always thought CDs were overpriced at $12.99-$14.99.[/QUOTE]

I started buying CDs in 1989 and the general cost at the more reasonable stores were around $11.99. It was a couple bucks higher at the mall chain store. But then, cut outs were already available by that time. I remember buying, once again, Thompson Twins 'Side Kicks' on CD for $6.99 and A-ha's 'Scoundrel Days' for $7.99 in the bargain bins in 1989.

7. That's assuming every step of the process from start to finish is equal and involving the same players, same materials, etc.

I don't know why people get so hung up on this stuff - are there forums for other manufactured products where people are constantly complaining about certain products being more expensive than others? From what I can tell there is a huge range in price point for vinyl records and all you can do is vote with your wallet. The artist or record company will charge what they want and they wouldn't do it if it didn't sell. Clearly there's a market for it, but people want to act as though they personally should be the arbiter of that. There's no one agreed upon price point - for you it might be one price, for me another, for someone else something completely different. I truly don't get the constant whining about certain artists price of records every single time.

The Trinity and Six String like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

Blu-ray forum is bad for price comparisons. I'm sure car forums go on and one about prices. There's a large coupon-ing sub culture on the net.

I'm well aware there are huge price differences. It just drives me nuts when some insist it's price of manufacturing when it's really labels and artists seeing how far they can push it. Neil Young gets a $2m every time he hands in an new album and I'm sure the ramped up vinyl prices help the label get a return on their money and why Neil has never complained or why Mr. Sound Quality doesn't sell them at his own merch table at shows.

There are plenty of examples of labels pushing the price too far. The wholesale price of the NIN box(latter career multi-disc instrumental album) for the upcoming Black Friday Record Store Day was recently dropped $20 as I'm sure pre-sale ordering was well below projections.

PhantomStranger, Kristeva and AJK74 like this.
  9. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

There is nothing wrong with your deck or cart. Im sure they can sound nice. I do however feel that the reason you like CD best is that your not hearing the true potential of your vinyl.

Connected to the same preamp, power amp and speakers are my oppo for CD and my turntable for vinyl. The vinyl sounds better. It gives you a more realistic presentation of the music. It sounds so good that songs I was sick of hearing now I like hearing again.

My CD playback is no slouch. Two 32 bit saber DAC's dedicated to (one left, one right) two channel listening. It's a super well done power supply and transport, but it's no match for even my older Pioneer PL 530 turntable when it comes to quality, definition or musicality.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I was looking at E-Bay last week for Donald Fagan's Sunken Condos double LP, price ranges from €48 to €63. I walked into my local record store yesterday and I saw an absolutely mint secondhand copy, price €12.99! There are bargains to be had if you are patient!

JG

c-eling likes this.
  11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

As far as bargain, I was basically comparing modern releases.

Sorry, that was a typo in the sentence mentioning $5. I meant that the difference in the price of the download and the vinyl release is $5. With the vinyl purchase you get the high res vinyl mastering as well as MP3 for mobile use, this is where the value comes into play.

As far as used, CDs are a much better value in many cases.

12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Record label greed based on the economic demographics of the artists' fans. Pure and simple.

That's why I haven't bothered to carry the last couple Neil Young albums. They just don't sell at that kind of price point.

snowman872 and panasoffkee like this.
  13. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

My ears thank you for turning me on to some new music. My bank account...not so happy.

14. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

You are very welcome!!! Great music.

15. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Here`s an example of an added expense due to the marketing of 2x LP`s for absolutely no reason....other than being a sales gimmick IMO.
    Last night I put on Paolo Nutini`s Caustic Love. Played sides 1, 2, and 3

When I cued down on side 4 the tonearm immediately headed straight to the label, right then I remembered, there are only 3 sides, even though the album is 43:41 in length.

The first time I ever played it, I thought I lost the stylus as I ME lightly after each side.

I also don`t like loosing the 'flow' having to get up way too soon.
    Too many people have a 'micro-wave' mentality these days..everything fast fast FAST having little to no patience and these unnecessary double LP`s won`t win many new ones over from their MP3`s and the like.

serge likes this.
  16. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I didn't really want to raise this partially sunken ship again, but the latest email from Acoustic Sounds warrants it. They are raising the price of Analogue Productions releases $5 across the board starting Jan. 4th, 2016.
    Almost 17% for their single, formerly $30 lps, and 10% for their formerly $50 lps.
    Personally, I almost always shop around for the best price but $35 & $55 ?
    But, on the upside, there is a 15% off sale right now. "Just to ease the pain a little"

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    shaboo, sennj and scotth like this.
  17. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

This obsession with prices is getting a bit crazy. I think that prices of vinyl are about right. It is a niche product with relatively high manufacturing costs. Most importantly, it gives pleasure for many years and the sleeves often look and feel great.
    It is absolutely right to demand high quality of manufacture and unfortunately this is not always the case. Most of the time it is possible to return faulty product for exchange or full credit.
    i don't know about the US, but most people I know in London will spend more than the price of a record on a night out and they go out more often than they buy a record.
    The obsession with finding the best deal is also a bit ridiculous. I accept that sometimes the difference on a box set can be significant but on a regular record I would rather pay a Dollar or two more but help to keep a friendly independent shop in business

Devon and scotth like this.
  18. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I think that's rather bold. Acoustic Sounds doesn't have the track record or devoted fan base of Music Matters and Mo Fi (who they now outprice in both formats).

19. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

While I agree wholeheartedly with you about supporting a local store (I myself have never bought anything online), not everyone lives in a large city, or close to a large city. Regardless, there's nothing wrong with shopping for the best price, be it in a store or online. Sometimes it can create healthy competition. There are three stores on the street where I shop that sell new records. They all have their specialty, but obviously some titles overlap. In this case, of course I'm going to buy from the one that sells that same title for less.

20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

No way I'm buying Acoustic Sounds LPs from a store. If they are defective they go back to the maker. Plus I only buy during 10% off sales with enough for free shipping, and that plus sales tax means I pay $27 vs. $33.

21. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

I believe this was taken years ago when Neil was looking for backers for the Pono.
    Neil has regretted this picture since and asked "the creep" to not use his song in his ridiculous campaign.

22. Could you further explain the logic of this statement? Thanks.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Im buying more and more stuff online im afraid...due to both choice, availability and price.

My local record store is selling an LP i want for £28 and i can get it on Amazon for £15.70. Although i still buy a lot im store, im finding im buying a lot more online now!

24. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

That's a big price difference. I would too if the difference were that big for my titles!

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Under £20 means they'll charge you for shipping. That would bridge the gap somewhat. What's the standard charge for shipping within the UK for an lp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.