The Robin Trower Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablo

pablo Forum Resident

Always liked TRFY and BOS. The MFSL of BOS is very good. But my favorite performance of Hannah is from Live. Some of the guitar phrasing is extraordinary.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

3. Well then, they're still on a case by case basis for sure! :laugh:
    I love doing needle drops and most of the time prefer them, especially compared to some of the new remasters!
    I've not done my Trower vinyl yet though...

4. Grant

I have no problems with commercial CDs that are created from needledrops if the master tapes cannot be found, provided that the drops are done with the utmost care. Many of the drops we members do could actually be issued commercially.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm listening to TRFY right now. I always thought "Daydream" was from BOS, but obviously not. It's a nice bluesy, mellow album that is very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to for me. The band is tight (as always). I remember when I first saw 'em in 1974 one of my friends had to tell me that Robin Trower was the singer. His guitar playing is very reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix, but he always kept it (his guitar playing) within the context of the song, ie. not going playing long solos (on albums). "Rock Me Baby" is one of the best versions of the song.

6. :agree: So true about keeping concise within the context of each song.
    Not flashy or overblown ever. Just get the job done and let them howl! :cool:

7. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Daydream is one of my Trower faves. If you can find them, there are great versions on the BBC In Concert and King Biscuit CDs.

Cheers,
    Chris

8. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

:agree:

Those are both great albums and worth seeking out. But to me, the DEFINITIVE version of Daydream is on the "Robin Trower Live!" album. It's just...perfect.

9. Grant

Bridge Of Sighs 1974

His most popular album, and, unfortunately, the only one many people know about here in the U.S..

I like the album, but it's not my favorite. "Day Of The Eagle" is a powerful song, and set the blueprint for his formula for formatting his albums, having a strong, commercial-sounding rocker lead it off before the heavy stuff comes on.

1. Day Of The Eagle
    2. Bridge Of Sighs
    3. In This Place
    4. Fool And Me, The
    5. Too Rolling Stoned
    6. About To Begin
    7. Lady Love
    8. Little Bit Of Sympathy

Attached Files:

10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I would say this is one of my favorites based on the strengths of the following tracks

Lady Love
    The Fool And Me
    In This Place
    Bridge Of Sighs
    Day Of The Eagle

That is 5 awesome songs and the other three are not bad either.

11. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i love this record and have for over 30 years.

i found quite a used specimen recently; a 1A/1A pressing with a cover that looked like it was made last week. and look at that spine!

later, chris

Attached Files:

12. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

BOS is a masterpiece in my opinion. I picked up the LP a few months back for the obvious "hits" but there is not a bad song on it. I think there is slight temptation to talk it down because of its commercial success. It was big for good reason.

13. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

She's a beauty. You made me dig mine out. Tell me what "1A/1A" means. Mine has "1A" etched on Side 2 and "1B" etched on Side 1. Is there such thing as spine-envy? Mine looks like it was pealed off of a beer bottle.

14. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

1st Annual SH Forums Favorite Albums Countdown

10 – The Doors – The Doors
    11 – The Beatles – The Beatles (White Album)
    12 – David Bowie – Aladdin Sane
    13 – The Who - Who’s Next
    14 – Roxy Music - Siren
    15 – Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Brain Salad Surgery
    16 – Yes – Close To the Edge
    17 – Robin Trower – Bridge of Sighs
    18 – Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    19 – ZZ Top – Tres Hombres
    20 – The Cars – The Cars

Dr. Weber

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yeah, if it had been his only album ever, he would be a legend on that basis alone.

16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Without a doubt. :righton:

I tell ya, this was my first concert in April 1974, IIRC, and I was really taken by the sheer power of the group. But BOS had just come out and I had my 8-track playing it all the way to the concert. It was amazing. If only the show could have been recorded. I suppose they played every song on both albums for the concert, but what a selection! :)

17. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

This is the album that introduced me to Robin Trower, and it's still my favorite.

I was over at some friends' house and they had the album. I pulled it out and said, "is this guy any good? I've heard good stuff about him". They looked at each other knowingly and said, "Put it on - NOW!". I was blown away. I could hear the Hendrix influence, but I could tell he had his own unique style - much more dreamy and smooth than Hendrix.

This album is a masterpiece - not a weak song on it. To this day Trower still does most of the songs in concert. I've seen him 5 times, and each time he opened with Too Rolling Stoned, and played Day Of The Eagle, Bridge Of Sighs, Lady Love, and Little Bit Of Sympathy.

I suppose my favorite track on the album is Too Rolling Stoned, especially the 2nd part where it breaks down and that riff comes in. The solo is mind-boggling.

18. Tone

Tone Senior Member

:righton::agree:

One of the great recordings from the classic rock era. Trower and Dewar both shine on this record. BOS has dated very well.

And thanks for a good thread Grant.

19. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

Bridge of Sighs: really great album, i like the title track and too rolling stoned most

20. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

This was my first Trower album (I now have everything he did through Truce and several of his recent albums), and it's still my favorite. IMO this is one of the best albums of the '70's and a start-to-finish masterpiece. I have the MFSL cd, which I think sounds fantastic.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Any guitar player must own it. Not a bum song.

It's disgusting that he doesn't get any play on "classic rock" stations, considering the utter crap they do play.

22. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Unfairly portrayed as a Hendrix wannabe by music critics. I actually find his guitar playing style and phrasing more interesting than Jimi's. James Dewar's soulful voice is to die for as well! Big fan of Little Bit of Sympathy off BOS, especially how they played it live.

23. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

His left hand vibrato & string pulls are what sets him apart from being just a "Hendrix clone" BOS was the first Trower LP I owned, and my friends & I basically wore the grooves out from playing it so many times.

This is still my fave clip of him , working out on BOS...:edthumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d1HilfLxA

24. protay5

protay5 Member

Here's a quote by Robert Fripp from the liner notes of the TRFY/BOS two-fer:

" Robin Trower is one of the very few English guitarists that
    have mastered bends and wobbles. Not only has he got inside them,
    with an instinctive knowing of their affective power,
    but they went to live inside his hands.
    It is the rare English guitarist who has been able to
    stand alongside American guitarists and play with an equal
    authority to someone grounded in a fundamentally American tradition.
    Trower has been widely criticised for his influences.
    This has never bothered me.
    I toured America in 1974 with Ten Years After top of the bill,
    King Crimson second, and Robin Trower bottom.
    The chart positions were the opposite : TYA in the billboard 160's,
    Crimson in the 60's, and Trower climbing remorselessly through the top twenty.
    Nearly every night I went out to listen to him.
    This was a man who hung himself on the details: the quality of sound,
    nuances of each inflection and tearing bend,
    and abandonment to the feel of the moment.
    He saved my life.
    Later, in England, he gave me guitar lessons. "

- Robert Fripp, Wiltshire, England November 19, 1996

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.