The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 10 worst snubs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

From Ultimate Classic Rock :wave:

Despite this video is from December 2014, still none of these artists have been inducted. Some of them haven't even been nominated once!

1- Deep Purple
    2- Yes
    3- The Cars
    4- Iron Maiden
    5- Judas Priest
    6- Bon Jovi
    7- Def Leppard
    8- Motley Crue
    9- Journey
    10-Doobie Brothers

AidanB, iloveguitars, Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

They consider Motley Crue a snub?

Man at C&A, TSWisla, anth67 and 24 others like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Where is Jethro Tull and Chicago?

They should be on that list!

Bananas&blow, AidanB, sjaca and 19 others like this.
  4. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Rory Gallagher & Warren Zevon

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I find so much of this to be based solely on what I like. By my understanding of the letter of the "rules" for getting in, nobody should be inducted ever again and nobody should have been inducted for a lot of years.

Now me, I grew up in the 1980's, loved and still love Motley Crue and am aware of how influential they were on that era. A non fan would counter with 'who cares if they influenced a bunch of crap' and I would say, okay fair enough. But some artists that have already been inducted were never that popular to begin with and went on to influence people who were even less popular. So why are they in there? The parameters are so all over the map that you could argue a lot of artists in and argue a lot of artists out of the club. Neither way bothers me tremendously.

So I look at this list of ten and totally agree on most of it. I've never been able to get into Deep Purple beyond (oddly, I think, the Burn album) and yet I believe that they absolutely belong in there. Maiden and Priest beyond a shadow of the realms of death belong in there. And yes, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard deserve to be as well.

Are any of those the worst snubs? No, probably not. But they do deserve to get in. So do Slayer and Megadeth by my parameters. And while I'm typing this someone mentioned Warren Zevon; it's a crime that he's not in there!

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Husker Du
    Black Flag
    The Minutemen
    Gang Of Four
    Buzzcocks

brock, sennj, captone and 32 others like this.
  8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like this list better.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Television, I forgot Television.:eek:

brock, sennj, danielbravo and 24 others like this.
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, that whole list is a total sham!! Blow it up and be done with it, even though I honestly couldn't care less.

11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It is ridiculous that the Purps are not in.

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

New York Dolls
    Warren Zevon
    Mott the Hoople/Ian Hunter

13. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

14. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

now yr talking!

strummer101 and C6H12O6 like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Get rid of Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Motley Crue.

Put Jethro Tull, Chicago, and Electric Light Orchestra on the list.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is now 10 months later and the first three on that list have been nominated. Odds are there's going to be at least one less "snub" in the not too distant future.

17. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

King Crimson

NorthNY Mark, TSWisla, sennj and 17 others like this.
  18. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Why doesnt the Hall like metal?

19. Terry

Terry Senior Member

4- Iron Maiden
    5- Judas Priest
    6- Bon Jovi

Cannot see these three getting in.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That doesn't reduce my righteous outrage one bit! I mean, Madonna getting in before Deep Purple? What kind of a world are we living in?!

;)

21. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

W
    why not?

MikaelaArsenault and bru87tr like this.
  22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Nah - there's too many (& too many questionable) artists already inducted into the hall. They need to clean it up with a ratio of at least one (or two) getting stripped of their past induction for each new inductee that replaces them.

Isnt a "Hall Of Fame" supposed to have some level of, or give some impression of exclusivity. The more they let in, the less special getting in appears to be.

Oh - wait - its really just all about the money?

Never mind then...

23. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Here's mine without reading that list

I think the cars were nominated finalists so I just presume they rightfully get in...

No real order
    1-Brian Eno--as a producer alone he's die, add his "treatments" to Genesis and Bowie's work and you've got another case for an endlessly inventive musician. Then add his solo work, he hits all the boxes except sales as a solo act (but many in didn't have the sales). This is egregious

2. Def Leppard. Sure I don't love em, but they defined hair metal in the 80s and set the stage for the harder and already in GNR...maybe Mutt Lange was the secret, but still these guys are more worthy than others that made it recently....

3. Kraftwerk. Inventors of genres deserve to be in. Where would Daft Punk today be without these guys? You could add Can too but Kraftwerk first.

4. Sonic Youth- they influenced about every grunge band there is, but yet transcended that genre which they never really played in and continues to be experimentally challenging until they split...

5. Pixies --they invented grunge with their dynamics and with 2 albums always on best of lists why aren't they in??

6. T. Rex/tyrannosaurus Rex/ --bolan's Music wound up setting up art rock fringe proto punk until punk changed the landscape. Bowie and others may have stayed in a folly mindset had Bolan not plugged in and showed them the way (and Bolan went blue-eyed soul before Bowie too)...

7. Nick Cave/ bad seeds. He carries the tom waits torch with and endlessly inventive yet seemingly "easy" style. There's nothing easy about Cave's music and he deserves in as much as any of the Joan Jet's and even Donovan (who I enjoy more).

9. Todd Rundgren . He's a maverick, his soft rock pedigree hurts him but as a producer alone of meat loaf and by dolls and xtc he's in. His first 4 solo records are stunning too....and he never played it safe. I wouldn't think he has the modern inspiration thing but nominee NIN have him as an influence, and Prince said Rundgren was one of his biggest influencers. He's the best one man band when he wants to go that route, his dramatic shape shifts hurt him (as some experiments have failed).

10 Harry Nilsson--my personal fave on this list, who also was a maverick. He gets in for being the best singer of his generation and an inventive songwriter/ lyricist even if he played a bit in the Beatles handbook....I mean Newman got in, why not Harry who had more success (pre Disney) and who was just as inventive and brought Randy to the masses...

24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I thought we just did this?
    Oh Well:

Johnny Winter

Joan Baez

Dick Dale

MARY WELLS

Connie Francis

Cheap Trick

I'm not that big a fan of a couple of these, but I try to be objective in my choices.
    I'm just adding folks that were influential, imo, over the years Rock & Roll was evolving.

25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Bon Jovi does not represent excellence in rock. No flaming please.
    Iron Maiden's historical impact is marginal at best.
    Judas Priest? I'll move this to the maybe column.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.