The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 10 worst snubs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

...and her "disco" albums had some truly great "rock" guitar, like Skunk Baxter's solo in Hot Stuff.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Look, if you actually know anything about Donna Summer's music, I'm going to have to ask you to leave this thread immediately.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

We have these threads twice a year, at least, once at nominating time and then again at induction time. (Hmm, I guess that doesn't have anything to do with your comment! Sorry)

Personally, I'd place some of these musicians in the greater umbrella categories. Like Miles Davis. I think it was Duane Allman who said he was influenced by him...so I certainly can see a case for him being a part of the RRHOF, but not in the general category.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

however all 5 of the members were inducted in the hall of fame...so I will stand by my original comment

5. Chris DeVoe

I spent the late 1970s building discos. But on the other hand, I've spent this decade creating rock concert videos. So it's a wash.

boboquisp likes this.
  6. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

And the pedals spin merrily backwards.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

i reiterate, it is a sham until Link Wray kicks the door down and gets in!!!

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  8. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Jethro Tull actually began as The John Evan(s) Band / 'John Evan Smash' in the mid sixties and released their first UK single on MGM Records ("Sunshine Day') mis-credited to 'Jethro TOE' (!) in 1967

early on they were a jazz influenced blues/R & B /rock outfit - with even some classical influences ! (ie 'Bouree')

hence early tracks such as 'To Be Sad is A Mad Way To Be', and instrumentals like 'Cat's Squirrel', the debut album 'This Was...' (1968) features Mick Abrahams on guitar and even lead vocal on 'Move On Alone' with a notable blues base to their material...that later was replaced by Ian Anderson's very personalised blend of songwriting that encompassed electric rock plus acoustic folk and a within that a solo singer/songwriter stance (ie songs such as; 'Nursie', 'Cheap Day Return', 'Slipstream', 'One White Duck', 'Bad Eyed and Loveless', etc)

They were one of the first artists to record a complete piece as an entire album work with 'Thick As A Brick' in 1972, and again 'A Passion Play' in 1973, which became a common feature for prog rock artists - tho' often more instrumental led

while a 'cult' band they managed to appeal to a cross generational audience as those who first got into say 'Crest of A Knave' probably never knew much about 'This Was...' or 'Stand Up' or 'Minstrel in The Gallery' or 'Songs From The Wood' - their albums while all recognisably 'Tull' differ tremendously over the years despite having just the one lead vocalist for 99% of the group's record making career...

Another question re the HOF - has Lonnie Donegan been inducted at all...?

seed_drill, Matthew Tate and Zeki like this.
  9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Tull really didn't become a "cult" band until they started delving into Fairport/Steeleye Span territory. TAAB and Passion Play were #1 albums, "Bungle in the Jungle" and "Living In the Past" were top 40 hits. "Aqualung" and "Locomotive Breath" are two of the most iconic "classic rock" songs of all time, just a hair below "Stairway, Hotel, Smoke and Freebird" in the rock and roll cliché category.

And, no, Lonnie Donegan isn't even in as an influence! :realmad:

Zeki likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So, Jethro Tull is still snubbed. Man, when and are they going to make it in or not?

lightbulb likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Another year, another snub for Todd Rundgren. Again, one could argue if he should be in as a performer/songwriter but his credits as a producer are undeniable. You may object to some of his choices on "Bat Out Of Hell," but it sold thirty million copies, so he had to have done something right. How many of the bands he produced have already been inducted?

snowman872 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

curious re Lonnie Donegan

- just take the Ex-Chris Barber's Jazzband banjo player (who scored an early USA chart hit for a UK artist with 'Rock Island Line' he recorded in 1954) away from music and there would have been no Shadows, no Beatles, also Justin Hayward would very likely have never joined The Moody Blues in 1966 either

- and an entire generation of British musicians - including many later famous recording artists - would not have begun playing the guitar in the first place (Queen's Brian May for one, he loved Lonnie's 'b' side; 'I'm just A Rollin' Stone'..)

in the post war austerity of fifties Britain few could afford the electric guitars rock'n'roll required...but 'skiffle' could be played on a cheap acoustic guitar with 'tea chest' bass and a washboard for percussion - think Creedence 'Poor Boy Shuffle' on 'Willy and The Poor Boys' album

Hank Marvin met Bruce Welch (Shadows)....John Lennon fronting his 'Quarrymen' skiffle group first met Paul McCartney (Beatles) at a church fete via them all playing 'skiffle'

while also minus Lonnie Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen would very likely have not been signed up by PYE Jazz label either (note Lonnie 'presented' them on their debut album and wrote the notes)

Just look at the stars who tuned up for Lonnie's 'Puttin on The Style' 'tribute' album in 1977 - Ringo Starr, Elton John, Albert Lee, Brian May, Rory Gallagher, Klaus Voormann, Ronnie Wood, Nicky Hopkins, Mick Ralphs, Jim Keltner, Gary Brooker, Ray Cooper, Richard Hewson, Michelle Phillips, Bruce Gary, Zoot Money, Henry Spinetti, Alan Jones, Pete Wingfield.... etc

while later Van Morrison did an album with Lonnie too...

if being 'influential' can be deemed;
    starting an entire music craze 'Skiffle' - directly leading to the formation of The Shadows, The Beatles, etc...and introducing a entire generation of British youngsters to both the guitar and also many then little known blues and folk figures such as 'Ledbelly', 'Woody Guthrie', 'The Kingston Trio' plus promoting Gospel music and even popularising 'The Wreck of The Old John B' six years before The Beach Boys did 'Sloop John B' in 1966 (Phil Spector was an admirer of Lonnie's music too) plus also recording standard pop records, comedy records, and even 'music hall' style numbers...recording tracks both with his own group and also with orchestrated accompaniment and doing your own songwriting (he penned a 1967 hit for Tom Jones) plus forming your own music publishing company (Tyler Music Ltd) duly showing other artists the way in the music business
    - and having a UK number one record on the advance orders alone for a new single (before The Beatles did that)

then Lonnie Donegan really ought to have some case for induction.....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Mylene and Zeki like this.
  13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't even know who this is, but with a resume like that (!), makes sense to me.

14. AMDG

AMDG Forum Resident

Moody Blues
    Grand Funk
    Three Dog Night
    5th Dimension
    Brian Wilson
    The Monkees
    Chic
    Dick Dale
    Journey
    Todd Rungren

snowman872 and Zeki like this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And Dick Dale.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  16. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Supertramp (Bob Siebenberg, John Helliwell, Dougie Thomson, Rick Davies, Roger Hodgson)

Breakfast in America and Crime of the Century sold millions, plus the countless hit singles the band had in their prime.

MikaelaArsenault and zen like this.
  17. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

That being said I think the Hall of Fame has become a joke, just like Rock N' Roll. Soon enough Britany Spears, Backstreet Boys, and later Beiber will be inducted. It should really be called the Pop Culture museum cause it really has nothing to do with music. Reminds me of Rolling Stone magazine who has no idea what it's talking about any of the time.

MikaelaArsenault, uzn007 and JAG like this.
  18. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I know Badfinger will never get in...but man if Pete Ham didn't get screwed...we'll never know.

MikaelaArsenault and Billo like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I'd be fine with Miles Davis and Johnny Cash as influences - I just don't buy them as performers for this HOF...

seed_drill likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

maybe that's the issue. anyone look if jethro toe is in the hof ;)

21. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Are Hall and Oates, Patti Smith, and Cheap Trick the only ones? And he produced only one album by each of those. He was engineer on a Band album.

22. Chris DeVoe

I'm on a bus at the moment, so it's hard to search. I don't know why he'd not credited as a producer on the Band album, as everything I've read indicates he did the job of a producer. He wasn't credited as the producer of Badfinger after George left of concentrate on the Concert for Bangladesh but most of the tracks were recorded by Todd.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

He also produced Badfinger when they were peaking.

24. He'll never get in because he thought rock and roll was a swindle.

[​IMG]

seed_drill and Matthew B. like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, the drugs took a lot longer to kick in back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.