The Rolling Stones "Dirty Work" in retrospect

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Great podcast. Looking forward to future episodes...

paulisdead likes this.
  2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

With "Dirty Work" they continued the path they went in with "Undercover"; largely irrelevant albums without the great riff-tunes and a serious start of the longest anti-climax in rock history (with the odd spark of greatness).

Dudley Morris and mark renard like this.
  3. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

You can pull out a nice four song Ep from every Stones album from "Undercover" till "Bigger Bang" . The worst of the bunch ,imo,is "Steel Wheels" (a serious task to find four valid songs)
    Anyway,my "Dirty Ep" is this:
    -One Hit To The Body
    -Too Rude
    -Had It With You
    -Sleep Tonight

Very good
    Enjoy
    Stop

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It was only until last spring that I listened to all of Steel Wheels, and I kinda like it!

Bluesman Mark and bonus like this.
  5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

As much as I love the thought of Ronnie/Keith making a New Barbarians album in the 80s can you imagine how great an album they could've knocked out in the late 70s!? Between the coke & booze they could've made a true winner.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I'm with you. I remember at the time it was released the radio tracks seemed kind of boring. Picked it up at a thrift store about 6 years ago and I really enjoyed it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    RelayerNJ likes this.
  7. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

The album's good. Is it my favorite? Nope, but it's good. And certainly better than anything that came later. And who cares about the album cover.

8. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

The '86 and '89 albums had mildly entertaining singles but too many bland album tracks.
    Now Flashpoint I thought got things back on track somewhat. Good live renditions and the hammy studio track "Sexdrive" recaptured some of their naughty spirit.

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Disclaimer: There isn't a Stones record that I don't like. If I have a top 100 albums, every Stones record is on that list.

I absolutely love Dirty Work. Even more, I love Dirty Work Japan shm sacd. I have the original vinyl, but since the release, a few years ago of the shm sacd of this, I listen to it more often than ever.

laf848, Shak Cohen and bonus like this.
  10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I like it lots for what it is . 4 real great songs from 10 is not bad anyway you look at it. Plus Harlem Shuffle makes it 50% perfect. But it is not as if the rest is garbage. These what 35 or 40 minutes are interesting, entertaining, rocking and and uplifting imo. I even do like the cover. Hey that was the way people dressed. Not the stones but others and I do like the colors. hey it is annie leibovitz who is responsible for the cover and photigrapjed the,Sure it was a bad time for the stones but life is not all about peace. love + harmony 24/7 year after year. so what..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

To be positive.....OK, I got one...it was mastered (on vinyl) by Ludwig.........OK, that's all I got. It really is the low point.....no other real redeeming quality in retrospect...come on guys, listen to it!

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  12. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Dirty Work was the last Stones album with a sense of fire to it. There's an underlying sense of rage to it that is at odds with its slick 80s mix. Honestly I think a remix (Steven Wilson?) would make people really reevaluate this record.

Jupitermadcat, bonus and stef1205 like this.
  13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:D

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yeah, "Harlem Shuffle" catches a lot of flak, but it's very much in their tradition of covering Motown/soul/R&B songs back at the start of their career, and it's not a bad track at all, and one of the redeeming things about this album. If Mick couldn't be bothered to write new songs, at least cover a cool soul tune.

15. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Dirty Work helps make Emotional Rescue sound like Sticky Fingers, for completists only.

Bluesman Mark, Stencil and Sean like this.
  16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Last time I listened to Dirty Work I thought it wasn't as bad as I remembered. "Sleep Tonight" is worthy.

The rest of the album pretty much sucks though.

17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

No classic Stones tunes like "Miss You" or "Start Me Up," but a solid effort start to finish. Underrated for sure. (Terrible album cover, though.)

stef1205 likes this.
  18. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I think 3 of the songs are great, i.e One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, and Sleep Tonight. Fight and Had It With You are good filler, I hasten to add.

19. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

The music is just as bad as it was then, the cover shot looks even worse now.

20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I've owned this album since it was first released. I've mellowed towards it over the years. It does have its moments.

I've even take the time to play it (vinyl copy) a couple of times in the past year.

I think One Hit is an excellent "latter day" Stones single.

The b-side to Harlem Shuffle, "Had It With You" is a fine track and basically sums up the Jagger/Richards relationship back then.

The cover is so 1980s and the part where Richards seems to be "kneeing" Jagger in the crotch also describes the history between these two quite nicely back in 1986.

Monosterio likes this.
  21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I'm glad you have found some worthyness to the album, but I Have tried numerous times to 'give it another chance' and it just fails to move me in ANY way, except for the Ian part that is criminally too short at the end of the album. I actually tagged that onto the ending of my personal remaster of 'Steel Wheels' and it works beautifully there. But no, this album Sucks Donkey......... But I'm glad it's found a fan in you.
    the beave

22. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

"One Hit To The Body" is one of my favorite Stones songs.

Sean likes this.
  23. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

For me it's exactly the other way round.

Their worst album. So bad, it hasn't got anything memorable on it. Listened to it once. That was more than enough for a lifetime.

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

For me, at least, the end of an era. No Stones album since Dirty Work has been able to hold my attention all the way through. Voodoo Lounge came close, but that's it.

karmaman likes this.
  25. I think of Dirty Work as a divorce album. It's one big disagreement set to music. I also think it's the last good Rolling Stones album.

Sean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.