The Rolling Stones- Goat's Head Soup song-by-song discussion!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Bill probably plays on about half of Exile, give or take. He plays on 30% of Goats Head Soup. Before his departure from the band, the last album where Bill Wyman played bass on every track was Sticky Fingers. Just the same, in spite of the numerous Keith/Taylor/Wood bass credits on Stones songs over the years, during Bill's tenure as their official bass player he still played bass on something like 86% of the tunes (I actually crunched the numbers one time...)

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Does anyone extend their classic run to 6 lps? Iam not talking 1974 but 1967!

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request are my least favorite albums from the Brian Jones era of the band but they both have a few worthwhile tracks.

ohnothimagen and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I know that Satanic is loved by many on this forum but it's not one of my favorites. There's a few songs that I like. I like most of Between The Buttons. I have Decca mono copies of both albums that are in excellent condition in my collection. I love that blue on the Satanic label.

Hep Alien, dee, Jack and 2 others like this.
  5. All Down The Line

Too true and even considered for a while several years later with material spanning 73-76/77

John Fell likes this.
  6. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Am I the only person who thinks it’s at least partly about Marianne Faithful?

7. All Down The Line

No you are not my friend.

Zoot Marimba and mbleicher1 like this.
  8. All Down The Line

"It should be you!"

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Given that "100 Years Ago" was started in the '69/'70 period when they were still together you guys are probably on to something there...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Now that I think about it, there’s someone or something from Mick’s past that shows up in 100 Years Ago, Angie, and Winter. I know Mick has the deserved reputation of being callous, but I believe that at least through GHS, he expressed real feelings in at least some of his ballads. My guess, just based on those songs and what I know of his feelings for Marianne (as reflected in Wild Horses, YCAGWYW, possibly I Got The Blues, and Let It Loose) is that she’s present to some extent in those GHS songs.

11. All Down The Line

Some thought provoking points though you attach a lot of significance to Keith writing and bringing in Angie first which i don' t see as wholly shaping the record. That aside many fans that love 64-72 Stones have room to love Angie also. I find it far more relevant that he did not and could not come up with any particularly strong riffs whatsoever,
    I do not find it significant that Keith came up with Angie and it may have been the first cut for Soup. Unfortunately the man was unable at this time to come up with any significant riffs or energetic tempos for that matter. That said i am sure that plenty of fans love Angie and many of those also love the Stones 64-72 era also. I think if Keith had been in better health there would have been more rock n roll as per the last 2 lps, history has shown us that Keith tries to add this ingredient to every Stones lp since to counterbalance Mick's more experimental contributions.

Hep Alien and Hardy Melville like this.
  12. All Down The Line

I do not believe
    Good points. Jagger is also nothing if not about self preservation which may have played some part in the self promotion. Not spoken of all that often but it is interesting to ponder that Jagger surely must have considered that at some point he may have had to continue with only one live guitarist.

13. All Down The Line

Always loved it but just mixed so low i always turn it up so high, a little similar to the end of Rocks Off and others.

14. All Down The Line

They meandered into the song in Brisbane in 2014 and i hate to say it but Woody's solo had far more venom than Taylor's though he was copping Taylor's licks.

15. All Down The Line

Andy Johns also said that of all the famous lead guitarists he had witnessed in person develop with their studio playing, the one that that he found most jaw dropping was Mick Taylor and his list included Hendrix too.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yeah, I recall reading an interview with Andy Johns saying some of Taylor's best stuff in the studio was either erased or not used.

Hep Alien and Clanceman like this.
  17. All Down The Line

No, surely they don't exist?

18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I love this record. Exile was an epic masterpiece for sure. However, as concise as this record is in comparison, this was an abundant period for them. Outtakes would appear officially later, while most have been left as beautiful treasure to hunt, as a fun and rewarding project for the slightly more than casual fan.

I feel that they grow musically on this record in many ways. Preston enters in a more collaborative way. Nicky Hopkins plays beautifully, and Mick Taylor stretches it out real nice throughout the record.....and to me, is the star of those outtakes previously mentioned.

Dark and Funky...is how I'd describe a lot of the record. The record has plenty of variety in 10 cuts. The funk inspiration and foundation of this studio based sound for the rest of the 70's output, sounds fresh to my ears.

Dancing With Mr. D....gets things started with a riff by Keith that I love, reminiscent of nothing before, brilliantly repeated over and over, working perfectly for this song. Preston's clavinet, some of my favorite keys ever by Nicky Hopkins, not to mention some wonderful electric slide from Mr. Taylor (who, by the way has a killer solo on an alternate take).....make this a top notch opener, and a great foundation for one of my 29 favorite Stones records :)

100 Years Ago....what I'd do to see/hear this performed live just once!!!!! Creative as all get out. You want a bit of country....how about just a taste, then bam into a sped up funky groove. Preston's clavinet.....I dig this color on the record....Hopkins burning it up again.....and Keith, on bass. Mick Taylor is an absolute star on this record!!

Coming Down Again....maybe, just maybe Keith's finest vocal. Gorgeous wah wah along with the Leslie, prominent on this entire record....again shaping a "new" sound, to tremendous effect. Bobby Keys...outstanding Sax!!

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heatbreaker.....A funk, funk, funk.....rock and roll masterpiece. Great lyrics. Preston kickin ass, clav and piano. Taylor's guitar is insane here. This song just moves the hell out of me. I think it's an anthem!!! Should be played live, along Shelter, IORR, BS, and all!! Agree with KeninDC wholeheartedly here.

Angie....I STILL LOVE YA!! Who knows exactly what it's about, but it's dramatic, emotional and just plain awesome. A favorite Mick vocal of mine, I love it right with Wild Horses. Nicky Hopkins is great again. Man, Taylor, Hopkins and Preston are like a band within a band on this album. The string arrangement is out of this world. This song is a stone cold classic song in rock and roll popular music.

Silver Train.....just got the rare treat to see and hear this performed live with the great Mick Taylor, in Tokyo!! :goodie::pineapple: Love the hell outta this kick ass rocker. Slide is insane, the lyrics are soooo rock and roll....sooooo Stones!

Hide Your Love.....love this....and the alternate with more guitar. The piano work is awesome, a bluesy, boogie woogie Stones treat for sure, with the prowling, trippy vocal that Mick is working so well on this entire record.

Winter....I actually cry with joy when I hear this. Taylor is amazing. Reminds me, and a lot of people of Moonlight. I think it stands on it's own, it gives me goosebumps, all I can say. These Taylor licks are other worldly beautiful. Mick Jagger is my all time favorite front man.....AND vocalist, this song is an example of why. God I love this band!!!!!

Can You Hear The Music....love it, love where it's placed. It's trippy, it's hypnotic. Again, personally, I love this Jagger twisted vocal. The song puts me in a trance, because with the next one.....I'm gonna wake up and DANCE!

Star Star.....love it, totally Stones, a straight up Chuck Berry inspired...Keith kinda rock and roll gem! Don't like much of Esoterics review at all, and I absolutely hate what was said about this. It's perfect that Keith gets the solo on this one, and I love the effect of Wymans bass coming in late. The lyrics are fun and raunchy, pure decadence, pure Stones. This song makes me crank er up every time! Yep, I'll listen to the entire record, and on the last song I crank it up. I'm either dancing while I sit or if I'm anywhere other than the car.....I'm up dancin', and doin Mick impressions.

Guys, this records a 10!!!!! A Stones masterwork once again.

I don't care what anyone thinks. You can go tell the Who guys over at the Who vs Stones 70's thread.....I'm only puttin' Who's Next with it.....that's it.

The Rolling Stones....Goats Head Soup leaves the status "Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World" well intact!

I listen to this on original vinyl, shm sacd is preferred digital....but the CBS DADC is no slouch.

**** Yeah, an old post of mine. But, I had to just find & repost. Nothing has changed for me. Love it the same.

Ha...the only part not true anymore (sadly) is that I “didn’t JUST” see them in Tokyo. It’s been like 4 yrs gone by :(

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  19. All Down The Line

Yes. Sun, Moon, Herbs whatever it was called.

John Fell likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

Ok 'fess up Clanceman just how many copies of GHS do you have?

Clanceman likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, it should be played live more often!:edthumbs:

Clanceman and All Down The Line like this.
  22. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Lol....like 8-10.

Just Stones insanity man. Remember, some are cds, part of sets, then a few diff original vinyl presses. Must be like 5 diff cds...Japan + og, Virgin...just diff ones. Maybe a couple sealed.

I have well into the 100’s, prob North of 300 Stones albums - various. But, they’re the only band to that insanity.

23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I've loved Goats Head Soup ever since I found a cheap used LP at age 13. For me for this album, the whole is definitely worth more than the sum of it's parts. You start picking a song out here and there and the whole thing falls apart. Nah, don't do that. Just put this motherf#%*er on, sit back and just soak in all the murk, the dark funk, the secondhand smoke from distant Jamaican spliffs. Moody as hell and that's the way it's supposed to be - no other album delivers the same dose.

Fellow forum member @Cassius summed this album up perfectly:

24. All Down The Line

I hear you pal, I have only 7 vinyl copies of GHS and 1 cd bought in Vancouver. With the regular studio Decca/London lps i have between 12 to 25 of each title amongst 550 Stones lps. I am even crazier with 7" singles and e.p's having well over 800 of the buggers. That's nothing compared to a renowned French collector i know that has 2,500 Stones 7" (lol)

Clanceman and rxcory like this.
  25. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Yeah...I know it.

I “might” count em up at some point. I don’t even count the unofficial stuff. Though I like a lot of the b**ts - the sound quality is so jacked up on so many, there’s only a handful I go to semi regularly.

Man!!!! That’s a lot of singles!!! Awesome :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.