The Rolling Stones - "Jumpin' Jack Flash" restored promo film / 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

Apparently this song was released in the UK 50 years ago today. Just stumbled upon this Facebook upload, and it looks like a full HD restoration of the original promo film (though various cuts of this film circulate):

It sounds like the vocal is live too whereas the backing track is probably from the studio recording. Notice that there's no fade, they film until the backing track performance comes to a stop.

2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Almost as old as me! ha ha. What a great video, don't think I've ever seen it before.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Awesome! Would like to see a restored version of the other one where the whole band is playing live.

....at least I THINK they're playing live! :laugh:

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

First time I saw it (or even knew about it) was in that "Crossfire Hurricane" documentary that they commissioned for the band's 50th anniversary, so it may have been originally restored for that.

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've heard an alternate vocal on this vid plenty of times before, but not this PARTICULAR alternate vocal, I don't think. (Haven't watched "Crossfire Hurricane", so maybe it's not news to anybody else....).

[Edit: Okay, that "Bop, bop" vocal hiccup at -2:02 is definitely news to me. Thx.]
    [Edit2: As is that long organ outro!!]

I have the "Crossfire Hurricane" Blu-Ray. Should I open it and watch?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Jimmy B. and Rupe33 like this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

For years I never noticed the JJ on his forehead.

Zack likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

8. Arnold Grove

Live vocals over the regular backing track. Like how Lindsay-Hogg did the Hey Jude/Revolution promo clips for the Beatles.

majorlance and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

They also recently restored the "Child of the Moon" promo film.
    Strangely, this was filmed partially in colour and partially in Black & White...

10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

My favorite Stones song, and one of the best songs ever.

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Alice Cooper and the future members of KISS were taking notes......

Bullis and dkmonroe like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

That's great to hear. Believe it or not, that end without the fade-out reminds me (soundwise) of the Velvet Underground.

majorlance likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I saw it on some rock'n'roll documentary on TV in '78 and that video made me think that the Stones were just the most deranged band in the world! I went out and bought Satanic Majesties and Through The Past Darkly shortly after seeing it.

14. Arnold Grove

I saw that too! It was on PBS (I think). And I had the same impression as you did. Of course, when one is a teenager, and sees such a rare and dynamic clip, one cannot fail to be enthralled by it all --- or that was the case with me.

blutiga, TeddyB, Billy_Sunday and 3 others like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

I wish I had a time machine, but I recall that PBS TV in the late 1970s had some type of rock and roll marathon night. That's where I saw the Jumpin Jack Flash clip for the first time. I also think that they showed the Beatles Revolution promo clip and all of Dylan's Eat The Document (1966) film too.

Anyone remember this?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. Cyriaxx

Cyriaxx Forum Resident

I think the restored version is from the DVD, which is part of the "Singles 1968-1971"-CD-Box (released 2005). The DVD contains 4 videos, "Time Is On My Side", "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?", "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Sympathy For The Devil (Neptunes Remix)".

17. Legendary engineer Phill Brown talks about recording both of these promos in his book "Are we Rolling?"

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

If PBS had a "rock and roll marathon night", you can be sure it shared time with a fundraising marathon night.

I understand they got to do what they got to do, but it frosts me that every time I tune in and see a glimpse of The Beatles, The Stones , Bruce or Concert for George ( lately), I just know what's coming after watching for five minutes.....

utopiarun likes this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They were "rolling" alright...

But great clips nonetheless. Always liked "Child of the Moon."

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

One of my favorite Stones songs. And I never knew there was a promo film for this until now. Love it!!

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If you're wondering why the live vocal from Jagger, Musician's Union's ban on TV miming.

Shak Cohen, Billy_Sunday and walrus like this.
  22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I saw it on local TV in Omaha in spring 1968; it looks a bit quaint now, but still wild.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I like the vocal track version on the promo with all the extra "yeah"s the most for this song

muffmasterh and TonyCzar like this.
  24. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

It was the Heroes of Rock n Roll Documentary, hosted by Jeff Bridges, which was on ABC-TV.

Rochdale3, majorlance and dkmonroe like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Back in the 70s, it was NOT a pledge drive night. It was like a free-form TV version of free-form FM radio.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    forthlin and JoeF. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.