The Rolling Stones No Filter European Tour 2017-2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stan94, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

This version of the performance reveals a bit more of the story as we hear the full intro...looks like Keith's off beat intro created a bit of a domino effect that threw off Charlie. The intro was in fact a bit more jumbled with Keith and Charlie not in sync. Keith probably sensed that it was coming off the rails but Ronnie did a great job to get everything back on track. By the time Keith regrouped, Mick had jumped in perfectly on cue much to Keith's disapproval. This is the second time I've noticed on this tour where Keith and Charlie get tangled up--extremely rare.

enro99 and warewolf95 like this.
  2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

So sad that Keith has dumbed Brown Sugar down to the extent that he's just playing one chord every four beats... there's no groove to it unless the whole band fills it in for him.

enro99, Efus, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

actually, some fine folks over at IORR clarified what went down. Keith is innocent!

"Charlie made the first mistake and then Mick messed up by coming in early. Here's a complicated explanation from a musician as to what happened (actually kind of funny) ... "At the beginning of the video clip, CW's on the beat (1 and 3), rather than the backbeat (2 and 4).... It sounds all right that way, and I believe that KR and RW turn the beat around on CW here and there, and force CW to synch to them.... However, MJ begins his part a full beat ahead of time, and CW then synchs to him. RW looks as though he's listening to KR, but trying to figure out where is CW, and how to get CW to synch to KR." ... I didn't know playing in a band was that complicated. lol"

joethomas1, budwhite and mick_sh like this.
  4. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

So sloppy Keith is now. Must be his hands

The Beave likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my god that is the worse version i've ever heard of brown sugar

6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Maybe if he falls from another tree he'll be back to normal, like Bugs Bunny did with the apple! :righton:

Beave

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    sonnyrock and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. The Beave

The beginning of the end. One can make all the excuses in the world but the visuals and the music don't lie.
    Keith is definitely showing signs of dementia.
    Beave

keef285 likes this.
  8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

^ I don't know about all that.

enro99, reb and mick_sh like this.
  9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

enro99 and mick_sh like this.
  10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Well the way they have been playing recently quality is not an option, so I would much rather them play more rare tracks badly than play the same hot rocks set the way they are playing now.

warewolf95, duggan and Efus like this.
  11. The Beave

You just made my point. Watch carefully, he's NOT PLAYING THE 6th and 7th chord.
    Their using either another hidden guitarist or using tapes.
    And it's Not Ronnie hitting those chords, it's Keith's tone.
    Beave

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Which parts are you talking about? "6th and 7th chord" isn't clear.

They're not using tapes. Would be a logistical nightmare.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Come on Beave, go play your beloved half speed Exile on Main St. once again and let us enjoy this tour.

warewolf95 and California Couple like this.
  14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Clips aren't doing the Stones any favors, but I think it is Ronnie on that 2nd guitar.
    U can't see him strumming that 6/7th chord on the first pass, second time he looks like he attempted to adjust something, then he gets into the part the 3rd go around.

Mick seems in fine form, but the band sounds tired to me, fwiw.

The Beave likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ronnie plays 2 chords 0:02-0:03 that I think you are referencing.

I think(hope) it's just Keith's fingers getting cold at the end of the show after 2 hours with some noticeable elements.

16. The Beave

Fair enough. I love the Stones more than you'll ever know. This is just hard for me to see if going down the way it is. But it is what it is.
    Enjoy the shows.
    Beave

17. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Glad I saw these guys years ago. Too late now. Keith Richards simply can't play to an acceptable standard any more. We all get old, he's gotten old. Saw it in the Shine A Light film, and it's worse here. No sense sugar coating it.

The Stones always had a rougher sound, but I want the chords that are actually in the songs played, not just the ones that Keith Richards can manage to still play.

18. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I have heard on these 'raids' for decades now.
    People are knocking the band down, finding an excuse to be negative.
    Are you sure it's not you people showing signs of dementia?
    The band has always had those days of 'trouble' on stage.
    It happend as early as 1972, with the band having trouble starting 'Midnight Rambler' (evidenced on a bootleg).
    Enjoy this train wreck from 1982:

19. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Guess that's why they're releasing Sticky Live. The uniqueness of the Havana show allowed them to cash in on a unique location for a show whilst keeping the songs played conservative choices.

20. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

that's Ronnie hitting those "missing" chords, and Keith is doing it deliberately so they can interplay the rhythm bits. watch closer

I am glad they are still out playing, and touring...and not just rotting away somewhere, in a lazyboy chair.... complaining about stuff on internet forums :D

21. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Surely writing some new songs and working in the studio is less physically challenging and mentally draining than touring for these awesome septuagenarians? Guess they have been a tour orientated band since 2005 so why change now? Okay, Blue and Lonesome was good, but are we right to assume that ABB was their last album or original material?

22. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

But is it as enjoyable? Album sessions can be fraught affairs for anybody as you labour over the material in darkened rooms and tensions come to the fore. If I was them I would rather be playing to a packed auditorium than trying to reinvent the formula. I think that's why we got an album of blues covers. It was quick and they had fun doing it, no time for egos to get in the way of finishing the product.

warewolf95 and joethomas1 like this.
  23. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Since 1962, the Stones have only sounded tight on the 1989-90 tour. They're very much like a ragged jazz band. Every performance has its own charm. Their looseness on stage is what has made their shows exciting during the last 50+ years. I've attended and listened to some great shows during the last 5 years and hope they return to Los Angeles soon.

enro99, warewolf95, reb and 4 others like this.
  24. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

"On Stage the band has got problems"

The Beave likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

those are mistakes or maybe the band being drugged out. the performance of brown sugar doesn't sound like that. it simply sounds like musicians unable to play the parts as we can see they are keeping time, etc. just not playing the parts properly

The Beave and reb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.