The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Not only that, Sundazed posted photos of tape boxes on their Facebook page, and then the final releases turned out to be poor needledrops. Where did the tapes go? Pure deception.

goodiesguy, Matthew Tate and vudicus like this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What title/s?

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Wasn’t it a few of their Captain Beefheart releases? I could be wrong.

vudicus likes this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk (mono)

There were a couple of others too.

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That was the worst bit.
    It's bad enough doing a needle drop in the first place, but posting those pics and claiming to have used the tapes was absolutely disgusting.

6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Just got this set, I like it! I have never heard the recordings before. Sure not the best sound ever, but it's enjoyable. The cover is attractive too.

As for the sound from BBC. Haven't many artists never received the best sources for them? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember Jimmy Page saying he had a hell of a time getting them. Plus Queen didn't get the original tapes from BBC either.

laf848, fmfxray373, Clanceman and 3 others like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just heard Roll Over Beethoven and Satisfaction...on these at least, the sound quality is incredible; crystal clean. I wish The Beatles' BBC stuff sounded this good.

laf848, Clanceman, Shaddam IV and 2 others like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There are no tapes available for the Stones' performances. The best available sources are the original transcription discs (vinyl records of the shows which were sent to radio stations to broadcast). The problem is that for this release they did not use the transcription discs directly, but rather used an old 80s bootleg CD which was sourced from transcription discs but had NR added. And then they added additional fake stereo processing on top of that. The point is, if you think the new release sounds good, be aware that it can sound much better (and does on newer bootlegs).

9. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

That might not be correct. I believe the BBC were given copies from the original masters for their (80s?) Stones At The Beeb show. I think (though stand to be corrected) that at least the 3 from 1963 Saturday Club, the Blues In Rhythm Stereo broadcast and maybe (?) 2120 South Michigan Ave exist as excellent tape sources. If (?!?!) I am correct then I'm not sure why they weren't used. Mind you I'm not sure why Havers didn't check the BBC programme logs for his book either so there's a couple of things to add to my list of things I don't know.

10. WonkyWilly

:biglaugh:

People seriously need to educate themselves about what these recordings are supposed to sound like. This release sounds like a 3rd rate bootleg compared to the genuine transcription disc transfers in trading circles.

goodiesguy, vudicus and hallucalation like this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Then stop bitching about it and listen to your bootlegs. Or get a job with the Stones and tell them how to do it right.......
    But of course you can't cause your just a dude behind a keyboard on the internet......bummer for us. :(
    Beave

12. WonkyWilly

Actually, I am working as an audio archivist for a popular rock band at the moment, so I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. I don't know if I will ever work for the Stones, but even if I had, I don't know if I could have prevented this release from being the piece of garbage that it clearly is. But thanks for your comments!

bluesbro, goodiesguy, marcb and 5 others like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm only comparing to other BBC releases as *well* as bootlegs (albeit, not the ones you may have heard..not all of us have access to the transcription disc transfers...lighten up!).

Exile On My Street likes this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...again...not everyone has access to the sources you're referring to...I'm sure there are better sources for a lot of the BBC stuff out there. Sometime you have to take what you can get.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

Well I’m looking forward to hearing mine regardless of the endless bashing from Willy. I’m glad these finally have seen release.

The Beave likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm hardly an expert and my knowledge about the sources this is pretty general, so you're probably right about this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Everyone who wants to hear them does have access to them, as they are available online for free.

goodiesguy and Onder like this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

This has to be one of the worst threads I've ever monitored on the forum.

19. aoxomoxoa

You should try the Neil Young Archives thread

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've peaked in there but not to any extent. Thanks for the warning.

The Beave, Clanceman and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Thanks. I might check into them sometime. Not on my priority list though. BBC recordings are never going to sound amazing. The complaints are valid, but they sound OK to me though coming from someone who has never heard these recordings though.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  22. The Beave

True as the Stones machine operates. We gotta keep this going for at least 30 pages, so let's continue.
    :righton:
    Beave

Right now my new kitten is in the MIDDLE of our Christmas tree.......I'm not joking.

23. The Beave

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::thumbsdow:thumbsdow:biglaugh:oops:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::unhunh::unhunh::mudscrying::mudscrying::mudscrying::mudscrying::mudscrying::mudscrying::mudscrying:
    It's just getting started!!!!!!!

Beave

24. The Beave

Then your right at home Holmes....
    Beave

25. The Beave

C'mon, let's get to at least 700 posts.
    Beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.