The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Maybe the CD/DVD is gonna be released the same way the individual mono albums were.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Hopefully, they have different people working for them than Pink Floyd did.

Laservampire and steveharris like this.
  3. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I also hope for David Fricke essay! yikes!

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Why? Are you suffering from insomnia?

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Was their ever any real mention of a CD or DVD at all, or was that all just wishful thinking on our part? I don't recall anything in the press releases or news announcements except for the book itself.

Mark

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

News

As we announced in April, the sixties will be honored at the beginning of September.

Indeed, a DVD featuring newly discovered and newly discovered images, a CD compilation of radio passages (including the BBC and excerpts from Musicoramas of 66 and 67), and a book written by Richard Havers entitled On Air In The Sixtiesare announced for between 7 and 26 September.

Today's bonus announcement: the Fonda Theater of 2015, it is for very soon ... En video and audio ... And complete!

It was also mentioned in some of the British articles about the book.

Sean, Clanceman and Mark Wilson like this.
  7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Is the CD release separate to the book or do they come as a package?

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Separate is my understanding.

Carl80 and Clanceman like this.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

None of the online listings (Amazon, etc.) I've seen indicate any sort of disc.

Mark

10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Books are shipping pretty soon, I think? Seemed I saw my order as not too far away. Man, sounds like this news should drop any minute.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Having sped read this on Kindle, while it looks nice, the author did not check the programme as broadcast microfilms at the BBC otherwise he'd know what songs were performed on the April 27th 1964 broadcasts on the radio and tv shows of Top Beat and they didn't play the same songs at both shows as Badman and Havers state.
    Equally, his attribution of Aint That Loving You Baby is wrong.
    His solution to where Roll Over Beethoven and Beautiful Delilah come from is not a solution.
    It's very disappointing that the author has seemingly accepted the content of previous books instead of checking the facts first -hand, especially as he most likely must have been in the room next door to the microfilm viewers in order to see other BBC documentation which he has reproduced (which is a definite positive).
    I have seen the BBC microfilms (which I cannot reproduce here without permission). I have just looked at them again for these shows.

I'm also keen to know how at the Ready Steady Go mod ball, this entry

8 APRIL 1964 (aired 8 April) Ready Steady Go Mod Ball, Empire Pool Wembley, UK Not Fade Away (Norman Petty/ Charles Hardin Holly) – playback, Walking The Dog (Rufus Thomas) – playback, Hi-Heel Sneakers (Robert Higginbotham) – playback, and I’m Alright (Ellas McDaniel)

How did they mime to Hi Heel Sneakers ?
    Either there's a session or recording we don't know about or this is incorrect. (can't offer a solution to that).

I think things that I've flagged here are important in a book that gives the impression of being a thorough and definitive. Lewisohn would top himself if he made a mistake like this but I doubt that he would because he would go to the first hand source.
    sorry to sound tarty but I'm very disappointed about this. It strikes me as very poor research.

12. OldSoul

Ugh, this better not be another case where I regret my purchase, like with All the Songs.

13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Pop Inn - Feb 18 1964 - worth mentioning that the listed Not Fade Away was simply a broadcast of the record rather than a new performance

book says Teen Scene rec 22 Nov 64 aired 27th Nov 64 = contract states broadcast was due to be 22 Nov 1964 and btw Teen Scene was not broadcast on 27th November 1964 (Teen Scene aired on Sundays)

No mention of the 17th November 1968 Top Gear that previewed Beggars Banquet (may have included interview with Mick) - I can't verify that one but pretty much the whole LP was played in that show.

The 1964 Radio Luxembourg session is listed as possibly having been recorded at Pye Studios in the main text. Surely it's just as or even more likely that it was recorded at Radio Luxembourg's Studios at 38 Hertford Street where other similar Radio Luxembourg shows were recorded (Me and My Shadows (cliff and the shads), The Sound Of Fury (Billy Fury) etc..) No evidence is presented as to why it might have taken place at Pye rather than Luxy's own studio. BTW. while Luxy shows are only available in murky quality, the teeny tiny amount that have survived with good sound suggest that Stones acetate of this session owned by Bill is probably a serious humdinger and should be released immediately. My Stones "holy grail".

29 April 1964 entry for Top Of The Pops says the performance was possibly repeated November/December 1965.... - why not look it up ?

Brian was contracted to do a short interview on 16 March 1965 for broadcast two days later on 18 March for the Light Programme "Melody Fare". No mention of that, though admittedly I can't confirm it took place as I haven't checked. With the amount of pages involved it's a shame that all these kind of shows aren't mentioned, the end of chapters have a "selected" list. Why not do it properly ?

I'm probably nit-picking now but it is a bit disappointing like the "All The Songs" book in terms of new research and accuracy. I wonder how much of the Ready Steady Go / Thank Your Lucky Stars info comes from new research or simply previous books and websites.
    It is especially naff that given that the author looks like he went to the BBC Written Archive that he didn't look up the shows they played on to see what they played.
    Maybe I'm expecting too much but getting the songs played at a session wrong when the documentation is available is not good.

goodiesguy, Shawn, Tommyboy and 4 others like this.
  14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Mick and Keith were both present and interviewed during the show; I remember that they arrived to tell John Peel that he had just played the wrong (stereo) version of Sympathy for the Devil for the mono AM broadcast - the mono version was played at the end of the show.

tages, Shawn and ash1 like this.
  15. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

You're most likely right John and that would explain why Sympathy was played again at the end. I was wondering why that might be. That's something I'll be checking. I have the feeling that 3 of them may have been there but I may be confusing that with the 1967 Satanic Majesties BBC radio interview when Mick, Brian and Charlie were present. It might just have been Mick and Keith present on the 68 Top Gear.

16. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

John’s right. The following were played (not necessarily in this order) from Beggars with intros variously by Mick and/or Keith but no other band members. Sympathy / No Expectations / Dear Doctor / Parachute Woman / Street Fighting Man / Prodigal Son / Salt Of The Earth / Factory Girl / Jigsaw Puzzle / Sympathy For The Devil again. His remembrance explains why Sympathy was repeated at the end.

17. InRoom19

InRoom19 Forum Resident

The only session recording of Hi Heel Sneakers is from their Chess recording sessions (i believe, I am not aware of any others. I am sure others out there can confirm whether this is the case). Neither of the "live" versions of the song match the chess recordings so I am not sure where Havers is getting / deriving this from

18. OldSoul

So I forgot to cancel my order. Is the book worth the read regardless of these errors, or should I keep it sealed and resell it?

19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Mine has been delivered to the house, but I am still at work getting all this bad news from you guys! This sucks.

20. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

In addition, I have an off air reel of the audio from this show (RSG Mod Ball). The off air does not have all 52 mins of the show that was broadcast according to the generally reliable Kaleidoscope organisation. It was due to be on for an hour but that includes adverts. My tape runs about 42 mins. ish.
    Basically on my tape, several intros are missing from Keith Fordyce et al during the show and the tape starts part way through Hubble Bubble Toil and Trouble by Manfred Mann. The performers mime 1 or 2 songs and the headliners The Searchers (far more successful at that time than the Stones) get two songs. So the Stones are heard miming (!!!! that's funny) to the records of Walking The Dog and Not Fade Away. The idea that the broadcast had Sneakers or Alright is clearly erroneous. Even if they'd done it before the TV broadcast what could they have mimed to. No, I declare the 4 song mimed set as pants unless someone can offer hard proof.
    Now he might not have the luxury of that tape but common sense should make someone question the idea that the Stones would mime to two tracks that current knowledge says they hadn't recorded yet.
    There are more errors in the 1964 listing in this book, here's a few more observations....
    The suggestion that the 1964 Top Beat was aired in May means the author didn't even look at the BBC Genome website which while admittedly isn't 100%, is broadly accurate and available at the click of a mouse.
    Getting the title of Three Go Round (Southern TV) wrong (he lists it as Two Go Round) suggests another lack of home clickery.
    I really question his idea that the Radio Luxembourg sessions were recorded at Pye when Radio Luxembourg had their own studio at 38 Hertford Street in London where other programmes were recorded. He offers no evidence for this.
    Ed Sullivan show 1964 is listed as "playback". I imagine most people would describe it as live performance. They certainly seem to be playing live and it ain't no record.
    Again, I could go on.
    Nonetheless, the review at Teamrock credits his meticulous research. I'm sure others will follow.
    The pictures are nice though he should have spent less time at Rex Features and Getty Images websites and more time doing research about the actual recordings / broadcasts.
    Talking of photos, a photo of The Animals at the end of this chapter identifies them left to right as "Eric Burdon, Charles Chandler, Hilton Valentine, John Steel and Alan Price" which is funny because Alan has a guitar and looks just like Hilton while Hilton appears to strongly resemble Dave Rowberry.
    It's really not very good especially as it's seemingly endorsed by The Rolling Stones.
    It should have included a copy of that March 1964 Radio Luxembourg show - supposedly Bill still has the acetate. I'll say it at every available opportunity but that's my Stones holy grail right there. Release it immediately pretty please.

21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I totally agree, the "selected" lists are a BIG letdown. I class this more as a picture book with some interesting text rather than the definitive book it should have been.

ash1 likes this.
  22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Sorry. I was looking forward to it too but as with other recent Stones books the first thing I did was check Top Beat, the "March 1964 Saturday Club" and Top Gear and then I know they haven't done their research. I wouldn't accuse Nico Zentgraf or Felix Aeppli of this, they live in a different country and can't use available first hand written resources. Both their sites are very good to excellent at the very least.
    If I was doing a job for the Stones you can bet I'd break my ass every day like an Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man.
    I live in Bristol, that's West Coast right ?

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And the two of them regularly update their pages as better info and research comes along.

crozcat and ash1 like this.
  24. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

and they cover 50 plus years of the band's career. I'm only interested in the Jones era at least in terms of this kind of documentation and "nerdity". I'd have bought the new Satanic box if it had pictures of session tape boxes and a session chronology taken from session sheets / tape boxes but I'm assuming it doesn't. That's not ABKCO's style.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  25. John54

John54 Senior Member

FWIW I saw the Stones' very first TV appearance in July 1963, so I hope it's in the book ...

Tommyboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.