The Rolling Stones “Some Girls” Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, May 25, 2018.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nice Belgian and Spanish picture sleeves. "Respetable" is Not a misprint on Spanish sleeve.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well... the album has been discussed in some detail and we will of course be discussing it in even more detail no doubt.

But if we may talk about the Summer Tour of 1978, and have a couple of quick glances at a show...

Here is June 10th, opening night of the Rolling Stones '78 tour. A few flawed shots that I don't normally show people. But there is that front row center look which is a great place to be especially for photos. How can one miss? Well, I'll tell you how. I brought my 135 telephoto lens with me and no wide-angle thinking that I was not going to get very close to the band. That there would be a big barrier type thing. Well it turns out if I have been any closer Mick, Keith, and Woody would be fallen into my camera and lap as I was pushed right up against the stage. Very hard to focus when the lens you are using is not meant to be used that close up proximity.

Here are a few shots. If you would like to see a couple more Stones shots from this show, click on the link in my signature, there are more among other acts I shot in the late 70s and early 80s.

Enjoy, Jeff

Keith's gonna sing one for us... right Keef?

[​IMG]

Yeah.. Your a star, your a star... yes you are... yes you are!!!

[​IMG]

yes you are!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Clanceman, hi_watt, JuanTCB and 12 others like this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Great pix nonetheless. Thanks for sharing them.

quicksrt likes this.
  4. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Black or white or Indian or... does Jagger still sing that verse as written (which was intended to provoke after all)? I doubt it. Then again it’s probably been a long long time since the band performed the song. Ah, the challenges of an aging rock god who did become respectable.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They definitely played it in the 90s and 00s. The new No Security Tour show just released From the Vault, live in San Jose '99 has a version with all the verses (though Mick mixes up the words a little) and of course it's in Shine a Light in abbreviated form

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The three songs, "Some Girls" "Start Me Up" & Sympathy for the Devil" each got their politically incorrect lyrics changed in the later years. It kind of bugged me that Mick had softened up so much, Sympathy in particular sounded weird to hear him leave out a long word entirely.

steelinYaThighs and hammer99 like this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Which word, Kennedy's?

OldSoul likes this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes

9. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

What does he sing now? To be honest, I hadn't noticed the lyrics have been changed.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

What's controversial about "Who killed the Kennedys??"

11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Well to start, the US government killed the Kennedy's, but we're not supposed to talk about that kind of stuff here.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

He was singing "Kennedys" until the 1990s, it's in the 1999 San Jose show just released. Starting on the Licks tour they left the whole "I watched with glee..." verse out entirely and I don't think it's been played since

Who'sTommy likes this.
  13. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This is the review of Some Girls from Record Mirror upon its release. For those who don’t know, Record Mirror was a weekly UK mag like NME or Melody Maker, but had a slightly more pop slant than the aforementioned. It also had the advantage of being the only weekly rag to include the ‘official’ UK charts. Anyway, the review of Some Girls isn’t a rave by any means, but it’s nice to see stuff like this from so long ago. Record Mirror also had several ads for the LP and singles taken from it.

[​IMG]

hi_watt, ex_mixer and Beatlened like this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

This is oft-repeated, and frequently true, but the "Kennedys" line is in SFTD for the new San Jose No Security '99 (from the archives) show.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That show was almost 20 years ago. It is not "frequently" true at this point in time. It is alway true at this time.

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I want to say Mick quit singing the "Kennedy verse" in "Sympathy For The Devil" after 9/11.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I heard him sing the entire verse but leave out the word Kennedys in LA in or around 2005. So it was not always the entire verse. That might have depended on his energy level on a particular night.

19. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Aug. 5, 1978 : Forty years ago today .... "Miss You" hit #1 .... the Stones' eighth and final U.S. chart-topping single. :cheers:

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

"Are they too engrossed in themselves they can't see the faults?"
    I think that line sums up the reviewer very well.

Golden Richards and quicksrt like this.
  21. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Jesus H Christ.

22. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Jagger also seemed to stop singing "women think I'm tasty" as soon as the song was a wrap in the studio! Women thinking he's crazy just doesn't cut it.

Rickchick likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

In fact the gal hates the new Some Girls album because it doesn't jibe with her own Stones story, their history, or expectations.

You know you are in trouble when the review or article starts off with their long history with the band (chasing their shows, buying early releases before many), and it's a boring story about their resentment of the band becoming very successful.

At the time maybe it was impressive that this person was so cool early on. I'm unimpressed. I've sat with Keith hanging out drinking, and discussing the big tours of the 70s, and unreleasable film from those tours, boots, and those albums. It's not important to anyone but me.

Where is Rosalind Russell now anyway?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Mick's never sung "Tumbling Dice" the same way twice.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The only one that’s bothered me is Brown Sugar, where he more often than not sings “just like a young man should”. For some reason, it’s not the same for me.

California Couple likes this.