The Rolling Stones “Some Girls” Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, May 25, 2018.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would swap Everything's Turning To Gold and Far Away Eyes myself.

Geee! and Rose River Bear like this.
  2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

3. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Is blasphemy the proper English response to that suggestion?

4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Claudine murdered my brother in-laws best friend, so we do not listen to that song in our family.

This means, for the two skippers here, Lies and Imagination, I would have replaced them with Everything's Turning to Gold and So Young.

Because of these two skippers, I think Tattoo You is the greater album.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yeah, SOME GIRLS ... 40 years ... ❤️

Clanceman likes this.
  6. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Their last GREAT album.

Zoot Marimba and Clanceman like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I can't stand the hick voice Jagger uses to sing the song. Not a fan of pedal steel guitar either. One of the worst songs in Stones catalog in my opinion.

ODShowtime and Geee! like this.
  8. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

The talent of the Rolling Stones is that they have an almost magical ability to tackle any musical genre and not embarrass themselves, while creating superlative music... in the realm of country the band has recorded 'serious' country (Torn and Frayed, etc.) and, for lack of a better term, 'novelty' country (Dead Flowers, Far Away Eyes, etc.). I'm not generally a fan of novelty tunes myself but the lyric and the performance on Far Away Eyes is a consummate blend of arch camp and piercing commentary at the same time. That is a very rare feat. Plus the song is pretty ****in hilarious. Maybe if you thought of it as a comedic piece that would help? To each his own, though, and I'm all far putting Everything is Turning to Gold in place of something else on the album, though we'd never be able to reach a group consensus on the song to be cut.

9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Each to their own, I have always enjoyed Faraway Eyes and love the pedal steel.

Not much of a fan though of Goats Head Junkie or It's Only Coke and Weed.

mick_sh, uzn007, noahjld and 2 others like this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Nice !

Clanceman likes this.
  11. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I don’t hear it.

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yes. I think it's because of the love the members have for that particular genre that makes it succeed so well.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I look to Zappa for comedic pieces. Check out Lonesome Cowboy Burt.

duggan likes this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

This is always a song I point out to people how I think Stones music should be mixed. Loud, all over the place and with the vocals sitting in the middle, not out in the front too much.

Rochdale3, Isamet, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Miss You

The song kicks off with a straight up four on the floor beat and the exposition of the songs theme....a somber A minor pentatonic melody straight from the blues and R & B and Motown and.....well you know. Harmonica and guitar in unison and Woody plays a fine D minor chord inversion wake up chord at :26 to start the verse. Just two chords A minor and D minor but Woody and Keith turn it into magic with simple fills but with a rhythmic web that is one of a kind. At :44 the riff is vocalized with some additional notes but still true to the minor somber tone of A minor. Bill Wyman is perfect. At 1:20 Mick gets a call from a friend that wants him to get over it. The refrain follows and ramps up until at 1:55 the songs chorus enters with a descending chord line that fits the lyrics to a "t". At 2:12 Mick gets introspective in a half spoken dialogue and ties to not wallow in his own tears. The refrain follows and a killer sax break opened by a Mick scream that gets a little jazzy. The verse returns and Mick becomes more emphatic and starts to really get emotional like this is his last chance to get the girl back. The refrain follows and is repeated until a killer harp solo by Sugar Blue.

Fantastic opener with a four on the floor beat that was hot stuff back then. Mick and Keith play almost impossible to replicate fills that cross and counter each other but never halt the flow but add tension when needed. Is it disco? Sort of but with enough Stones trademarks to make it their own kind of disco. Awesome guitar work with brilliant use of inversions and a few substitute chords that sound like ghosts. Genius stuff.

17. TheRollingZeppelin97

TheRollingZeppelin97 Member

My favorite Stones album of the 70s.

rxcory and Clanceman like this.
  18. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

I love the New York-ness of this album. I was 10 when it came out living in NJ and I was listening to a lot of WNEW-FM. They had it in heavy rotation. New York City is ALL OVER this album. Miss You with the street feel and disco vibe ( Lots of Studio 54 stuff was in the news at the time and Mick and Bianca seemed to always be there....When The Whip Comes Down with the" East River Truckers returning the trash" and the "Gay in New York" lines ( There was a garbage strike in NYC at the time ), Just My Imagination with the "All the girls in New York" line, and Shattered is all about NYC.." My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan" " Go ahead, bite the Big Apple"( The Bronx was burning and Summer of Sam in 1977). Also I distinctly remember staying up late to watch the Stones on Saturday Night Live in 78 where they let them play for about 1/2 hour and they killed it!! It was big deal at the time.

I know know the country tinge of Far Away Eyes isn't really in line with the theory but everything else about this album screams NYC to me. There was so much going on in that city at the time and this album was a part of the soundtrack for my young impressionable mind.

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I also thought that, before I knew what they were trying to do with it, John. It's actually like a more comedy (less tragedy) version of "Dead Flowers" and Ron's exquisite pedal steel is appropriate for that I think

The version they play in Shine a Light is amazing

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sorry, I just don't like it. I live in a rural area and most of the radio stations here play country music. Not my cup of tea as I hear enough of that already.

aphexj likes this.
  21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve long known these feelings of yours that I vehemently disagree with.
    Lol
    But, I love ya man.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yeah, I actually like Tattoo You better than Some Girls.

23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

GOTTA GO!

thxphotog likes this.
  24. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

When it came out Some Girls was the first Stones record I purchased. I don't think that is the only reason it is still my favorite. And I agree with all those who say their last great album. I prefer this mightily over any of their albums going all the way back to Exile (which came out only 4 years earlier but back then that seemed like a century.)

Clanceman and Rose River Bear like this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great idea for a thread @Clanceman and tell me if I am stepping on out of line but these songs are too good to not post a song a day and focus on each one. Just saying.