The Ronnie Wood album by album discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

One more day for people to play catchup, we'll move on to Gimme Some Neck on Sunday night.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sorry!
    I took a long, long trip to the ci-ty, i was determined to get some air!

steelinYaThighs and ohnothimagen like this.
  3. ohnothimagen

Gimme Some Neck is the third solo album by English musician Ronnie Wood, released in 1979. It was a minor hit and his best performance on the US charts to date, peaking at number 45 on Billboard during a 13-week chart run. The album artwork features illustrations drawn by Wood, with his self-portrait in the centre of the front side.

To tour the United States in support of the album, Wood formed the New Barbarians with musicians including Keith Richards, Ian McLagan and Bobby Keys, all of whom contributed to the recording. The Landover concert from this tour was recorded and released as Buried Alive: Live in Maryland in 2006.

Track listing
    All tracks composed by Ronnie Wood except where noted.

1. "Worry No More" (Jerry Williams) – 2:34
    2. "Breakin’ My Heart" – 4:17
    3. "Delia" (Traditional) – 0:42
    4. "Buried Alive" – 3:37
    5. "Come to Realise" – 3:52
    6. "Infekshun" – 4:03
    7. "Seven Days" (Bob Dylan) – 4:10
    8. "We All Get Old" – 4:09
    9. "F.U.C. Her" – 3:15
    10. "Lost and Lonely" – 4:14
    11. "Don't Worry" – 3:26
    Personnel
    Technical
    • Geoff Workman - engineer
    • Tony Lane - design
    • Ronnie Wood - paintings
    Studio and road crew
    • Royden "Chuch" Magee
    • Gary Schultz
    • Ernest Cain Salgado
    • Johnny Starbuck

4. ohnothimagen

5. ohnothimagen

Gimme Some Neck. First Ron Wood solo album I heard (once again courtesy of the good old Edmonton Public Library). Some of the artwork is a little racy so I do believe I'll refrain from posting it here:righton: Gimme Some Neck is a good album -arguably Ron's best solo record- but it's also one of the worst sounding albums I've ever heard. That f--king drum sound:laugh: I can't believe Charlie Watts, Jim Keltner and Mick Fleetwood actually went along with making their drums sound like...that. The album is drenched in reverb and generally murky production- Ron and Roy Thomas Baker must have been pretty high when they decided, "Yeah, this sounds good!":laugh: The album reeks of "big budget production"...Ronnie was a Stone now, so why not? "Breakin' My Heart" and "Lost And Lonely" are my favourites here. The only song I'm not a fan of is "FUC Her", IMO another dumb "shock value for the sake of shock value" lyric along the lines of "Star Star".

Hep Alien and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. ohnothimagen

I can only imagine the partying that went on during the "Buried Alive" video shoot...between Ronnie, Ringo and Bobby Keys...yowza!:D

7. All Down The Line

Wow never seen that, was it a single as i thought just Seven Days was?
    First Wood Lp for me too and it did sound sharp and big budget which was ok to me.
    I liked Come To Realise, Infekshun (a bit Zep), Seven Days and the .34 second Delia?
    That said i have not played it for over a decade so need to give the other cuts a fair go!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don't really know Mahooney's Last Stand too well, so for now I skip to...
    Gimme Some Neck:
    Great songs on here, with a ragged rock'n'roll feel, but god the production is terrible. Seriously, first off, why drench songs like these in reverb, and not even clean it up?! Roy Thomas Baker I know is a competent producer, I can't believe he would just sign off on this. Was the paycheck that good? Were the drugs in the studio? But back to the music, this is a great record warts and all, still that ragged, devil-may-care attitude you know and love from Woody, and it's interesting that every Stone BUT Bill is on here. Granted, knowing what would have been going on, it's not that surprising Bill would sit it out. Favorite track is easily Infekshun. Also, notice a little bit of Shattered in F.U.C. Her.

9. ohnothimagen

Fans of the album have undoubtedly been asking these questions for the last thirty nine years now:laugh: Is Roy Thomas Baker still around? I've heard some Queen and Cars cuts he produced as well, presumably with the same production team, and those songs don't sound as bad as Gimme Some Neck does.
    Sadly the Gimme Some Neck era was also the period in which Bobby Keys introduced Ronnie to freebase cocaine. Ronnie's 'base jones would cause him a fair bit of grief within the Rolling Stones for the next few years; Mick wanted him sacked and Keith supposedly decked Ronnie on one occasion as well (during the '81 tour, so the story goes). Keith didn't like freebase...nice to see he had some standards when it came to drug abuse:righton: When Keith Richards is saying "I think you have a problem..." regarding yer drug habit it might be a good idea to heed the warning! So, yeah, Bill Wyman wouldn't have dug those vibes, I don't think.
    I like that one as well, but like I said "FUC Her" is the only track I don't like.

10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I like like that one.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This is Wood's most Stonesy sounding solo album to me. It is my favorite of his solo albums and I like most of the tracks.

12. ohnothimagen

I'll even go so far as to say, in my opinion, Gimme Some Neck is arguably better than any of the actual Stones albums Ron has played on, with the possible exception of Some Girls.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree. I like it better than albums like Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels and Bridges To Babylon for sure.

duggan and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Nice write up but cover art racy, which part ? I can't see anything even remotely titillating. I've just looked at my vinyl and CD, can't see anything what one might call racy.

Chip Monk likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

Well there is a map of Tasmania & a few mountainous peaks!
    (There is an inner bag too yer know!)

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I know I'm looking at it now, definitely nothing racy imo. Mind you I have never thought of the UK Electric Ladyland racy either..

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. ohnothimagen

Some of the pics on the inner sleeve, mainly. And they're not "racy" by my standards but rather the forum guidelines. Don't wanna chance posting the album artwork for that reason...

Speaking of the inner sleeve, I notice Ronnie included a list of some of the other songs they worked on in the sessions, including a remake of "I Got Lost When I Found You" they did for some reason or another...

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. ohnothimagen

On further inspection, the "racier" pictures are on the back cover, so I'll skip that...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

My favorite Ronnie album and I enjoy all of them. The messed up sound one either loves or hates; I'd love a remixed version but who knows if having it cleaned up would enhance or detract from the album.
    I'd love to heard any outtakes, too.

20. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I feel the same way. And Some Girls is the only Woody-era Stones album on the same level as Gimme Some Neck.

In other words: exactly what *you* said!

The MEZ and ohnothimagen like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ok, so the back cover issue is, drawing top left corner, (A1) half coloured drawing (D4), drawing (D/E 5/6), drawing bare bottom (F3), are they really against forum rules..

ohnothimagen likes this.
  22. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

FWIW, in 1979 Roy also produced Foreigner's "Head Games" album which suffers from the exact same issues you guys describe above. Heavily distorted drums, etc.

Not sure what was up with RTB in '79, tho I understand the HG sessions also featured a fair degree of substance (ab)use. I too couldn't figure out how the guy from Queen/The Cars turned this out, especially since the debut & Double Vision sounded ok.

Mark

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

• I believe the Jerry Williams here is NOT Swamp Dogg, but instead the other Jerry Williams, the one who wrote Forever Man (and Running On Faith, among other songs) for Eric Clapton, and Talk To Me for Bonnie Raitt (on her Green Light album, which heavily featured McLagan and his Bump Band), and worked extensively with Nicky Hopkins, notably his Tin Man Was A Dreamer lp.

24. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I remember seeing 2 videos from this album - this one, and one with SIX Ron Woods (McCartney later did the same thing in a video for Coming Up). Can't remember which song it was though!
    If someone else remembers this, please post the video.

Can you just imagine the partying SIX Ron Woods in the same place would get up to?!

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Seven Days probably. Haven't found the video yet.