The Ronnie Wood album by album discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jul 10, 2018.

1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Yeah, that's what I thought. YouTube doesn't seem to have it, but it was an official video. Either it was never posted, or CBS had it taken down.

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Yeah, it probably is the "other" Jerry Williams. If memory serves Williams wrote "Show Me" on Slide On This as well.
    You guys must not have been looking that hard:laugh:

3. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Ann Peebles was the original - she co-wrote with her partner Don Bryant and a local DJ Bernie Miller.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That's what I meant. Ronnie covered her song, and I like his cover version

The "Seven Days" cover is also excellent. I'm not so sure about the originals on GSN...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. ohnothimagen

Well, let's have a bit of a "Seven Days" Pepsi challenge...here's Bob's version:

The MEZ and Hep Alien like this.
  6. ohnothimagen

And just for the hell of it, here's Ronnie's version from "BobFest" (1992):

7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ron's version of "Seven Days" is a bit more than a cover, iirc Bob gave Ron the song before he had recorded it himself.

Chip Monk and ohnothimagen like this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There was an aborted attempt at Shangri-La in 1976 with Dylan and Clapton, that didn't bear fruit, and Bob himself never issued a proper studio version. Which is a shame as it would have fit nicely on Street-Legal

9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Hard for me to imagine any Dylan studio version of “Seven Days” would top Ronnie’s!

Chip Monk and groundharp like this.
  10. groundharp

Well, I don't know how HARD I looked, but I looked on YouTube and Vimeo and
    didn't find it. Obviously you looked at Vivo, which I didn't, but in any event, clicking on your link gives me "the uploader has not made this video available in your country".

ohnothimagen and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  11. ohnothimagen

I reckon "Seven Days" would have been a better fit on Desire. I love Street Legal but I can't imagine "Seven Days" with the Street Legal treatment. Ron Wood's version is him playing every instrument except for the drums (Mick Fleetwood).
    Nope, I went on to You Tube -which for the last two weeks amazingly hasn't been blocked from my work computer- typed "Ron Wood Seven Days" and voila! And, yeah, I'm in Canada, so the video I linked might not be available in the States, which is really f--king stupid IMO. Make the damned videos available across the board, or don't make 'em available at all.

The MEZ and groundharp like this.
  12. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

.. for me this album has 4 great sleeves full of interesting details and drawings....

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Err... that's not Dylan.

This one is:

Spadeygrove likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

Cool, I at least temporarily have the luxury of accessing You Tube on my work computer, but, alas, no speakers to hear the videos!:laugh:

slane likes this.
  15. ohnothimagen

One more day to share yer thoughts on Gimme Some Neck, we'll move on to 1234 tomorrow night, probably.

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Many thanks i had never seen that, reminds us why he was naturally chosen as a Stone.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. ohnothimagen

Moving right along...I was sick all weekend, my voice was probably as shot as Ronnie's:laugh:

1234 is the fourth solo album by English musician Ronnie Wood, released in September 1981. In the United States, it spent five weeks on the Billboard 200, peaking at number 164. The album was co-produced by Andy Johnsand features musical contributions from Ian McLagan, Charlie Watts, Bobby Womack, Waddy Wachtel and Nicky Hopkins, among others.

Track listing
    1. "1234" (Ronnie Wood)
    2. "Fountain of Love" (Wood, Jim Ford)
    3. "Outlaws" (Wood, Ford)
    4. "Redeyes" (Wood; inspired by Mick Jagger)
    5. "Wind Howlin' Through" (Wood)
    6. "Priceless" (Wood, Bobby Womack)
    7. "She Was Out There" (Wood)
    8. "Down to the Ground" (Wood)
    9. "She Never Told Me" (Wood, Ford)
    Personnel

18. ohnothimagen

19. ohnothimagen

20. ohnothimagen

1234 is Ron Wood at his most Dylanseque. He was hanging with Bob quite a bit in this period (appearing on the Shot Of Love album) and you can hear Dylan's influence in Ronnie's singing/phrasing and some of the lyrics. "She Never Told Me" reminds me quite a bit of "Where Are You Tonight?", the epic final track from Street Legal, for example. "Outlaws" would be a good runner up for the greatest Bob Dylan song Bob Dylan never wrote as well.

As a record 1234 doesn't hold up quite as well as Gimme Some Neck does. A few of the songs seem more like jams than songs, for one thing, though as expected Ronnie excels on guitar, slide and bass. His vocals on the other hand...this was the period where Ronnie was heavily into freebasing cocaine and you can hear it in his ratched vocals.

21. All Down The Line

I heard Woody was forced to cut short recording or at least mixing the lp due to being required for Stones duty.

I never bought it as i never heard positive comments about it at all and assumed that for at least his releases from 74-88 it was the runt of the litter!

22. ohnothimagen

Oh, 1234 definitely is the runt of the litter. Personally I don't think Ron Wood has ever made a "bad" album but 1234 and Not For Beginners are definitely his weakest.

23. All Down The Line

Ironic is it not that i had totally forgotten that Not For Beginner's ever existed!

24. groundharp

Another cover of Ron Wood's solo material, this a Finnish version of a track from 1234:

(this'll be the last of these covers of Ron Wood solo material clips I'll post here, as I'm unaware of any others from 1234, or any later)

Mark Wilson likes this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Ron might not even remember making it, I think he was in rough shape around that time.