The Roots - Do You Want More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomhayes, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member Thread Starter

Fine album by a fine band.

2. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Tell me more. I was knocked out by their performance with Eminem at the Grammys. Don't have the album yet.

3. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

handletom,

What do you think about their album "Things Fall Apart"? I love the quality of that album, and especially the cameo appearence by Erika Badu.

4. tomhayes

I have more Rotos records than I should

I have a LOT of Roots vinyl and CDs. In the nieghborhood of 300 pieces, which are singles, albums, production work, session work, remixes, etc.

I think they are the most exciting band (esp. live) to come down the musical pipeline in the last 10 years.

Their website is http://www.okayplayer.com and has a lively discssion board.

I just saw them last week on their current tour and it's an excellent show. The incorporate a lot of musical styles and "live" samples (interpolations) into the show. They played at least some of the following:

Apache - Sugar Hill Gang
    With a little help from my friends - Joe Cocker
    Men at Work - Kool G. Rap
    Hey Bulldog - Beatles
    Breakthrough - Swing Out Sister
    Eight Mile - Eminem
    Rock Box - Run DMC
    Make em Clap to This - Eric B. and Rakim
    No delaying - Nice and Smooth
    Angela - Bob James

And probably at least 40 more.

If you get a chance to catch them live, do so.

-Tom

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This belongs in MUSIC CORNER.

Can a Gort move it over to the right spot?

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The Roots are fantastic! I saw them play live on Sunday night. Erika Badu came out to sing "You Got Me" and jammed out with them (on percussion!) for another 30 minutes. Great show, great jams. Their newest CD is good, but not as good as "Things Fall Apart". That one is the most amazing hip-hop CD ever.

7. tomhayes

They'll be on...

They'll be appearing on Late Night with Graig Kilbourne next Tuesday (which I assume is Monday night in Central timezone) show performing a song. I hear it'll be Water.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for the heads-up!

9. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I agree wholeheartedly. "Do you want more" is one of my favorite hip hop albums of all time. Funny how several Roots albums fit that description for me. I love how their albums progress chronologically, each becoming a bit more complex as they become better musicians and get "tighter". Being an early one, "Do you want more" is pretty stripped down and a little more raw than their subsequent albums. The trifecta of "Mellow my Man," "I Remain Calm," and "Proceed" is tough to beat even on their later albums. I love each of their albums, though, there is no filler to be found in their entire catalog. I'm wondering, though, what CD of theirs came before "Do you want more"? That one starts with track 18, so I figure there must be a CD out there with tracks 1-17. I have everything from track 18 on. Can anybody tell me what it is?

10. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I just went to their website which answered my question. It turns out I am missing both "Organix" and "The Legendary". Guess I need to track these down.

11. Matt

Matt New Member

Their latest is their best, "Phrenology." Great album, if it's eligible for next year's Grammy's, it should win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.