The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

One of the oddest things I've found is my copy of Power Windows. I have two copies: the regular Canadian Anthem pressing, which sounds like garbage, and a Columbia House pressing, which is in my top 10 best sounding records.

Does anyone else have experience with Columbia House's stuff? Is this typical of them? I would have assumed a record club would have absolutely awful sounding records, so I was a little shocked to find out mine sounds so good. I always keep my eyes open for more Rush Columbia House pressings, but to date PoW is the only one I've come across.

For the record (har har), the Anthem pressing has a picture label, and the Columbia House one has the standard blue Anthem background. I wish I could get the codes from the deadwax, but I don't have the record here with me.

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

US pressing. Mercury skyline

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Posted in mine. By this point I was buying Rush albums as they came out over here but there were a few Canadian issues sent over.
    We need Anthem Fly By Night (mine's AWL), Caress, 2112, A Farewell To kings, Hemispheres and Moving Pictures.

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I have their Signals - too ashamed to post it around here :sigh: - but actually I like it. Quiet CBS Scarborough Ont. pressing.

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

My copy of 2112 has GK on both sides...is this a good thing?

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I'm not a US Mercury woman but it means Gilbert Kong mastered it and his work is highly praised on this forum so I's say so.

7. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

I've been looking for my copy of 2112 since yesterday. I can't seem to find it in my collection. I do know that on my copy the labels on the record are all screwy. The labels have the same songs listed on each record yet it shows correct sides. It's the whole album but it only lists side A's songs on all sides.
    As you can see, I'm finding it difficult to explain. :laugh:

8. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Are we taking this in order or just getting them out there. I have a 2112 pressing question but I don't want to get ahead of the plan?

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I'm getting a bit confused, too. At the start of the thread, Bobby listed the matrix info for 23 Rush titles and then seemed to begin by discussing the first LP. Others have piped in with info about other titles and it's gotten a bit scattered.

Bobby - Can you clarify how you want to proceed?

Cheers,
    Chris

10. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

My original intention was to go in order of release. I'd like to keep it that way if possible. Suggestions/opinions are welcome.

Thanks all.

11. saundr00

Rush s/t Canadian Pressings

Here is what I've gathered so far for Rush s/t Canadian pressings:

CAN Moon Records Baby Blue Label MN-100
    CAN Mercury Red Label (deadwax?)
    CAN Mercury Skyline Label SRM-1-1-1011
    CAN Anthem/Polydor (Label?) ANR-1-1001
    CAN Anthem/Capitol Blue Label ANR-1-1001

Am I missing any? Are there record club editions that anyone is aware of?

I have a red label s/t on order so I should be able to fill in the deadwax info for it in a week or so.

If anyone has info on how long the Mercury Red label issue was in print, please post.

12. saundr00

Rush US s/t Pressings

Here is what I've gathered so far on US s/t pressings:

US Mercury Skyline Label SRM-1-1011
    US Mercury Black Label SRM-1-1-1011
    US RCA Music Service (Label?) R-132226

Any additions?

Does anyone know about when Mercury switched from the skyline to the black label?

13. saundr00

Candy, is the catalog number 910 0011 on this one?

Thanks.

14. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

910 001-1.
    Caroline just picks up the sleeve and looks! :D

15. Harry Krishner

Sorry folks, I got a bit ahead of myself.
    Is my Moon Records S/T worth any more than the anthem? :righton:

16. saundr00

No problem. I think I confused the issue by dumping all of my info in the second post. That was just so I wouldn't lose it. :)

RE: Moon records s/t. I don't know what they go for, but yes, they are worth quite a bit more as there were only 3,500 pressed.

Does anyone know if the Mood records s/t has the original mix (before Terry Brown remixed it)?

17. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

My horrible, horrible Rush vinyl story (Shock, Horror!)

OK... I've never related this story here before but, since this thread is devoted to Ruch vinyl, I thought that I'd break down and tell it.

Back in the early '70s when I was in high school, I used to drop around to CJOM-FM (Windsor, Ont.) and they would give us a green garbage bag containing a couple hundred singles that they didn't want so that we could give them to our school to play in the cafeteria at lunchtime. We would haul them back to my place and sift through them all. If there was the odd duplicate, we might hang onto it for ourselves.

In one such batch, there were multiple copies of one of the singles. We played it and really hated it. It was a cover version of a Buddy Holly tune. I don't think that we ever made it to the B-side of the record. So, every copy of that single went to the school. I'm sure that nobody there thought much of it either and all of the copies probably got used as frisbees in the parking lot.

Needless to say, it was multiple copies of Rush Not Fade Away on Moon Records (but, I'm sure that you already guessed that).

Windsor was an important radio market for Canadian bands since it would get you music heard across the river in Detroit. Bands like Mahogany Rush managed to capitalize on this. But, Rush had no such luck getting their debut single heard on the air on CJOM.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,
    Chris

18. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

The Moon Records version is the original mix. Terry is credited for "remix" on the subsequent Anthem release. I can't recall the name of the person who did the original mix, though.

I do know of someone who sold a sealed copy of the Moon version of the first album about 10 years ago. I believe that he got around $700US for it at the time.

Cheers,
    Chris

19. saundr00

Cool story. Yes, I can't imagine hearing it for the first time from a new band and thinking it was any good. You Can't Fight It doesn't fare much better. I do like Garden Road however. I have a couple of live releases from this era (with Neil, not John) where Garden Road kicks butt!

20. saundr00

Wouldn't the original CAN Mercury red label and skyline labels have the remix too?

FYI: From what I've read, the first Rush record to be released on Anthem was A Farewell To Kings. The first 5 were then reissued on Anthem.

21. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes, sorry. I meant the first non-Moon pressings. Only the Moon pressings would feature the original mix. Subsequent versions were the re-mix.

Cheers,
    Chris

22. Harry Krishner

I'll have to give my moon and Mercury versions a spin and compare just how different they are. :)

23. saundr00

I sure would appreciate that.

24. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

It would be interesting to hear what your impressions are of the differences. I've heard that the Moon version is murky in comparison to the remix.

Cheers,
    Chris

25. saundr00

Rush s/t European

Here is what I have so far for European releases of Rush s/t. If anyone can add to it, I'd appreciate it.

I'll move us on to Fly By Night tonight most likely.

UK Mercury (Label?) 910 0011
    UK Mercury 1984 reissue Blue Label 910 001-1