The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Yeah, and RUSH themselves were very unhappy with the initial mix.
    I'll get back to you on it.

2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I believe it was '83.

saundr00 likes this.
  3. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Fly By Night

OK. Time to move forward.

RUSH - Fly By Night

US catalog number is SRM-1-1023.

Please post the descriptive info of your copies (label/catalog#/deadwax, etc.)

I have two copies.

Fly By Night
    US
    Skyline Mercury Label
    Side 1 SRM-1-1023-A-PRC-R-1-1-1 Masterdisk BK P1
    Side 2 SRM-1-1023-B-PRC-R-1-1-111 Masterdisk BK 8

This one was mastered by Bill Kipper at Masterdisk and was pressed at PRC Recording Corp, Richmond, IN sometime between 1978 and 1983.

Fly By Night
    US
    Skyline Mercury Label
    Side A SRM-1-1023-A-CT1 \T Masterdisk GK A9
    Side B SRM-1-1023-B-CT2 \T Masterdisk GK A2

This one was mastered by Gilbert Kong at Masterdisk and was pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute, IN.

4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Any info you can share about the sonic differences between the earlier GK and latter BK pressings?

5. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Fly By Night mercury skyline SRM-1-1023-B-CAN-3 g.k.

anyone tell me anything about my copy ....other than mastered by Gilbert Kong.

6. saundr00

Since it is on the Mercury label, it should date to 1977 or before. I'm assuming CAN means it was pressed in Canada. Anyone have details on this?

And, yes, Gilbert Kong mastered it.

7. saundr00

I haven't given them that close of a comparison. I'll try to post a needledrop comparison tomorrow night and you can decide for yourself.

There is a great needledrop of the Dutch pressing over at the needledrop thread. Look in the last two or three pages.

8. saundr00

One thing I forgot to mention is that on both of my pressings of Fly By Night, the wind chimes at the end of By-tor run into the leadout grooves and basically will repeat forever until someone lifts the needle off the record. Cool, huh...

When you post your Fly By Night info, please indicate whether it does this.

Thanks.

BitterMinnows likes this.
  9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

My copy is a Canadian Anthem pressing. Deadwax info is simply the catalogue number but, quite far away from that is hand-etched "DM" on both sides. There is a very faint inpression of another character to the right of these letters which could possibly be a number 7 but, it is much too faint to make out.

So, if BK is Bill Kipper and GK is Gilbert Kong, who is DM???

Cheers,
    Chris

10. saundr00

One other quick note:

I've just noticed that my Columbia Terre Haute, IN copy of Fly By Night has a Columbia Record Club catalog number on the back. Guess that explains why Columbia was pressing a Mercury album.

R 104616 is the catalog number.

11. saundr00

Is there anything else in the deadwax that you can make out that might give a clue? If the DM has a 7 next too it, it may indicate something related to the stampers instead of who mastered it.

Can you give us details on the label, etc. also?

Thanks,

12. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Bog-standard Canadian Anthem (dist. Capitol) dark blue to light blue label. No other distinguising marks in the deadwax. Not sure of the mark next to the DM in the deadwax. It's really not distinct... could be "7" or ")" or "?" or ">". The DM is quite well etched. This other character (if that what it is) is a very faint marking. It may mean nothing at all.

Canadian deadwax marking are notoriously skimpy in detail.

Cheers,
    Chris

13. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

The DM means it was pressed at the Don Mills plant in ontario

14. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

Living here in Canada I have more albums pressed at the Don Mills plant than pressed anywhere else.
    I can't recall any DM pressing containing any references as to the identity of the masterer.
    The vinyl is usually very quiet, and the mastering decent. Some are very, very good, many are average, very few are bad.
    My Cdn copy of FBN is out on loan at the moment but I'm fairly certain there is no musical info in the run-off. My Cdn copy is of high quality which explains why it is out on a sleepover at a fellow "audiophile's" house.
    If you are interested I'll post the deadwax info tomorrow night

15. saundr00

Absolutely, please post label, cat #, deadwax, etc. Also, thanks for the info on the DM. One more piece of the puzzle solved.

16. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Yes. My G.K. copy does this. I like it. It's very creepy and ominous sounding. It also has the same matrix info as listed earlier except instead of CAN it has CT-1. I haven't heard any different pressings other than this G.K. I have. I really like the sound of it. Tight, crisp, and punchy. Ever since hearing it I've been on a search to find all the G.K. pressings of the Rush titles. Alas, they're not too easy to find :sigh:. The only other one I've found is Hemispheres.

17. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It is a high quality cut - have a copy (currently AWL) :thumbsup:

18. saundr00

Is this the Skyline or Black Mercury label?

Also, I'm curious about the CT-1. Does your record jacket have R 104616 on the back at the bottom right?

Thanks.

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Chris, this brings to mind the thread we started a few weeks ago about Canadian pressings with the initials T.G. No one seems to know who this person was (if indeed it was a person). They invariably seem to be of good quality.

20. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Skyline label.
    It doesn't have R 104616 on the back. Instead, it has a little SRO drawing/logo with a star and it looks like a tiny electrical cord on the bottom right of the jacket. The CT-1 is hand etched. Also, it has a nice paper inner sleeve with lyrics and photos of the road crew, Terry Brown etc. I've seen a lot of copies of FBN without the lyric sleeve so I guess the ones with lyrics are earlier pressings.

21. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Good to know! Thanks! :righton:

Cheers,
    Chris

22. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I asked about this a year or two back. No info back then, either. :(

I did find out that TLC stands for The Lacquer Channel which was a mastering house in Toronto. That was useful info. Even more useful would be if anybody knows WHO actually did the mastering at TLC!

Cheers,
    Chris

23. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

Thank you very much for starting this thread. I think it's important that we try to find ways to be able to determine a particular pressing's vintage, whether through matrix numbers, labels, covers, etc. Here are my matrices.

Rush (Can.) ANR-1601-A-1. K.E.(?). TLC.A. / ANR-1601-B-2 K.E.(?). TLC.A

Fly By Night (Can.) ANR-11002-A-1A-2HZ: DM 10 / ANR-11002-B-1A-2HZ: DM 14

2112 (Can.) ANR-1-1004-A 1AZHZ DM-0 / ANR-1-1004-B 1AZHZ DM-12

Rush Through Time (Holl.) 6637 171 670 1 112 06 / 6337 171 2Y 1 670 11 10 06

Hemispheres (Can. red wax) ANR-1-(1014 scratched)-A 1015 / ANR-1-(1014 scratched)-B 1015

Permanent Waves (Can. w/DEWEI cover) ANR-1-1021-A(1) RAYS / ANR-1021-B(1) RAYS

Permanent Waves (MFSL) (symbol) MFSL 1-302 A1 "E.S&[email protected]." SBB/2 16035.1(3) / (symbol) MFSL 1-302 B2 SRB/2 ("EEK!) 16036.2(3)

Moving Pictures (Can.) ANR-1-1020-A-1A-2HZ: / ANR-1-1030-B-1A-2HZ:

Signals (US) SRM-1-4063-A5-C-3-1-5 MASTERDISK RL / SRM-1-4063-BS-PRC-C1-1-(scratched out 1 and/or 5?)

Grace Under Pressure (Can.) ANR.1.1045.A.1 MASTERDISK BK / ANR.1.1045.B.1 MASTERDISK BK

Power Windows (US) MASTERDISK B-2 (triangle symbol) 422-826098-1-AS-HRMI / MASTERDISK BK A-2 (triangle symbol) 422.826098.1.BS.P HR ml(symbol?)

Hold Your Fire (Can.) MASTERDISK ANR-1-105-A1 / DMM 2 ANR-1-105

Presto (Can.) ANL-1059-A Cl G2 MASTERDISK DMM CR A / ANL-1059-Bx Cl Gl DMM MASTERDISK DMM CR A

Snakes and Arrows (scribble) RHl 1-177084 A SS(?) (?) 15515 1 (3) / RHl 1-177084 B 15515 2 (3) / RHl 1-177084 C 15515 3 (3) / RHl 1-177084 D SS(?) (?) 15515 4 (3)

Overall, I much prefer Beatles' stampers...

A few questions:

-Is the red wax Hemispheres only first press and/or only Canadian?

-The cover of my current copy of Moving Pictures is textured, whereas a previous copy I had was more glossy; what does that mean?

-None of my Canadian copies have RL. So who mastered/cut, say, my Canadian "Moving Pictures"?

-The Permanent Waves "Dewei" cover was available where, when?

-How do different pressings from different places sound in comparison to one another?

24. saundr00

Welcome to the thread! Good to have another Rush fan in the discussion.

We are trying to keep to the order of release in our discussions and right now we are on Fly By Night.

Could you please let us know if your copy has the chimes at the end of By-tor running into the lead out grooves?

Also to all: I'll be posting needledrop samples of my two copies of Fly By Night this evening. If anyone else wants to post samples of their copy of Fly By Night, please do so.

Thanks all.

25. saundr00