The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I know this is a vinyl thread, but I picked up a copy of Presto on cassette today for 50 cents. Listening now with the Grado headphones and my Sony Walkman. Now, I'm going from memory... but this might sound better than the CD. I'll have to do a direct comparison at some point.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And I just picked up a copy of Moving Pictures produced by the RCA Music Service which sounds pretty phenomenal. There's no pressing info in the deadwax, just a couple of variations on the RCA catalog number, R143915. Has the thin glossy cover, no barcode. Anyone have a clue on this? I'd post the exact deadwax info, but as I said, there's not really anything there -- and I'm spinning side 2 and don't want to lift the needle. :D

3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Thanks. I always wondered about that.

This won't be of much help, but I've seen both this and 2112 at a few record shows I went to years ago.
    At the time I didn't really know if they were legit. I suspect they probably are, but they were being touted as "audiophile" pressings and were priced as such.

I probably should have taken the plunge and I haven't really seen them at all since then. I'd guess they were limited, but I have no idea how limited.

4. KingDirk

KingDirk New Member

Hi everyone...new to this particular forum, but those that recognize me from The Rush Forum know of my passion for Rush on wax.
    Great forum BTW!

As I continue to grow my collection, my draw towards the obscure and unique brought my to this one particular item that I managed to pick up, but don't know a whopping tonne about it. It is a bootleg. I won't deny that, but I'm wondering if anyone here might know a little bit about it. The interesting thing is that its a 45. I posted the following on another forum, so I'll just share it here:

The cardboard on the sleeve is thick. The art is bright and vivid...very professional. The vinyl itself almost feels like 180 gram...very thick. Very, very cool. I have never before seen or held a bootleg 45. But here are some peculiar things about this item:

1) You'll notice that this disc is limited to only 50 and this particular one is number 41...and hand-numbered. This was a small project done by someone with some pretty good reproduction capabilities.
    2) The cover...if you look close enough, the image is not a picture per se; but rather almost a thermal "drawing" of a picture. Hard to describe...sort of like when you take a photo, run it through photo editing software, and the filter that changes it to look like a sketch. Also, take a look at Neil's drum kit. Am I wrong here, but is the bass head from the latest tour and the other drums are from Time Machine? But the recording is taken from 2004...the R30 Tour. Bizarre!
    3) I have NO IDEA what the source is...the sound however, is really pretty good. Whether it was sourced from an mp3 or an audience source, I can't be sure. All I know is that it comes from the Radio City show.
    4) Speaking of sound...I threw this on the turntable and listened to The Seeker first. Really cool recording with Ged offering a little monologue. I think this would likely be the only version of The Seeker live to ever grace a turntable. Think about that for a second. Interestingly enough, when I flipped the disc back to Side A hoping to hear the only version of Secret Touch live on vinyl, I was given a bit of a surprise...Dreamline. So, somewhere, somehow whoever put this package together...all the time, energy, effort...and its mislabelled or mispressed, or both.

Thoughts? Comments?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. KingDirk

KingDirk New Member

I have a copy of the Test For Echo picture disc...there is VERY LITTLE information on this album which leads me (and likely everyone) to believe that it is "illegitimate", but I have to say...it looks absoultely awesome. The sound is quite good as well...perhaps not true audiophile grade, but if you're jonesing for some T4E on vinyl, this isn't half bad. Whoever made the disc was quite impeccialbe with the details...even adding that it was produced by Anthem Atlantic with a catalog number.

6. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Would you please post the dead wax info? Thanks.

7. saundr00

So I'm in London for the Rush show at the O2 and had some time earlier in the week to do some record shopping.

I found a Mercury blue label UK copy of A Farewell To Kings with the JAMF stamp on it. Huh? I had no idea the originals in the UK were cut at JAMF. I really need to find a clean copy while I'm here because all of my US JAMFs are noisy and UK vinyl is usually pretty quiet. The pne here that I saw was too beat up for the sevend pounds he wanted for it.

Anyone else seen or have one of these?

8. KingDirk

KingDirk New Member

I wish I could, but strangely there is no information or markings on the dead wax. I can post high res pics if anyone wants to have a really good look at the disc.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I think the original pressings in Canada/US/UK were all done at JAMF. The Canadian copy I have is pretty quiet.

10. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

My US AFTK JAMF pressing is quiet enough, I just don't think it sounds that great.

11. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Catalog number 6337 160. I have seen two versions of this LP . One with the Mercury Blue labels which some of them were imported into US into sealed plastic bag with the gimmick sticker and also there is a version with Black labels and Red Mercury logo. Both versions are the same Masterdisk RL SRM-1-4013-AS-INT-5 . These two version are easy to find but people just pay a lot more for the one with the bag and sticker

12. KingDirk

KingDirk New Member

Just taking a look at my UK copy and yup...JAMF. I'll try to play it later today to see how quiet it is...and report back here on what I find.

13. saundr00

Great, thanks.

14. dachada

dachada Senior Member

15. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Insane prices!!!

16. dachada

dachada Senior Member

"Big money make no sound"
    Rush

KingDirk and alfeizar like this.
  17. bluefunk

bluefunk Well-Known Member

Mine has no printed sleeve with it, so no liner notes.

That's very interesting, would love to see an image of that. What is the Catalog number?

18. KingDirk

KingDirk New Member

Here are the pictures. The catalog number is PD 83739-1. Not much info out there on this one...which leads me to question the legitimacy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I have that too. It sounds really nice alright. The version I have doesn`t have the mastering fault at the beginning of Red Tide (distorted piano of all things!!! - early days of the loudness wars methinks :) ).

Matt Starr likes this.
  20. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I have this too. Pressed off-centre and poor sound quality imo. If anyone is interested in buying it from me let me know as I only want records that sound great. Not too bothered about covers etc. as I managed to wean myself off that road to nowhere some time ago!

21. bluefunk

bluefunk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the images, that disc would be great for a collection even if it doesn't sound too good. I can't find any real info about that catalog number, but it does seem like there are a few of these around.

Most interesting!

22. KingDirk

KingDirk New Member

You know...the sound isn't really that bad. I have a really nice turntable with a high end cartridge so the output on my rig is pretty decent. As I've mentioned before, this isn't masterdisk or audiophile grade content here. Let's not kid anyone. But you're right...I love having it in my collection. It looks great. It plays nicely. And legit or not, it fits in nicely with the rest of my studio collection, and will do so until the guys decide to posthumously release Test For Echo on vinyl. A fella can dream, can't he?

23. dazzlingmd

dazzlingmd Forum Resident

The one I just got is a blue label. Pristine condition (not sure it was played more than a handful of times). I finally got around to an A/B comparison against my US Bob Ludwig pressing (which is in excellent but not perfect condition). I think they sound exactly the same, which is great because they both sound fantastic to my ears. The Dutch version is perfectly quiet, which my US is not. But the sound quality, mastering, etc. sounds the same. In the end I think what I've done is added a perfect copy of the RL pressing to my collection, and I'm happy about that.

24. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes well it says 2009 as the date on the record I saw above.... Its probably the digital master put on the record!! (Which would explain it (Like the copy I had from columbia NY (Released 2011)))

25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Almost the same catalog number as my Gabriel 3 no info in the deadwax except that R number, might be the same with all RCA club editions