The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I have a Masterdisk HW (Howie Weinberg) pressing as well, and it's not dramatically different from the Bernie cut, to be honest. I haven't heard the new re-issue but now that you mention it, I have been thinking about picking one up.

TLMusic likes this.
  2. Matt Starr

Keeper copies of this are hard to find, I agree. I bought at least three HWs before I found one that wasn't noisy.

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

And the earlier pressings seem to be uniformly thrashed, I mean really thrashed. And deep ring wear on the jackets, as well.

Jenifer and Matt Starr like this.
  4. Matt Starr

Totally!

TLMusic likes this.
  5. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Definitely pass on the HW CoS. It's not good. I like some of HW's work from the 80's (Slayer, Ozzy) but his Rush cuts are bottom of the barrel to me and most other posters in this thread.

6. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I don't think the copy most often attributed to being the first pressing isn't a GK, but a copy that resembles your WLP. I had one at one time that, to the best of my knowledge had at least one side that looked like your pick and I thought it sounded rather unremarkable. And of course, unlike FBN, no mastering credits on the jackets.

7. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

I love the sound of the original. These are not just the WLP though. For US, at least, all of the first pressings appear to be these Bernie* pressings. All of my B1 copies are off-center on side 2 though, and I've never seen an A1. The A2/B2s are fine.

I'll try to do a better write up tonight.

BTW, I don't have most of the new pressings, which is why this thread never "officially" discussed them. If anyone want to chime in though, please do.

* It looks like these are very likely to be cut by Bernie Grundman. All the evidence we have so far points us in that direction. Any other direct evidence is, of course, welcome.

kannibal likes this.
  8. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Agreed on the first pressing. It's just a catalog number with no other info, the same cut as the WLP.

And I agree, it does appear to be a BG cut, but I too would love confirmation.

9. SyrinxTemple

SyrinxTemple Forum Resident

My set of 'Archives' includes all GK cuts. While I like the first album and FBN, I find his version of CoS to be rather muddy. Just my opinion.

kannibal likes this.
  10. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I too have an all GK archives. It's been a good year or so since I compared maybe, but I don't remember any muddiness on my GK. I thought, in fact, it sounded a bit hot (not that hot doesn't mean muddy) compared to the new reissue. The new reissue had such great smoothness and texture. It really delivered.

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

GK did excellent work, but it's been discussed here (by our host) that his original cuts on, say, Rod Stewart albums, included compression and EQ boosts in the high mids (if memory serves correctly). I'd say that might have been his go-to method for a lot of records back in the 70s, so it's not a stretch to think that he did the same for other records.

That's all speculation on my part.

kannibal likes this.
  12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

As I recall my WLP Caress of Steel pressings were GK, but maybe that is not the case? I'll have to check.

13. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

So, I have (what I believe) is a 1981 pressing of Rush S/T. The skyline label looks like this one and the upper label printing starts with 53:

https://www.discogs.com/Rush-Rush/release/483299

The dead wax is hand etched with SRM-1-1011-A / SRM-1-1011-B. Both sides are also etched with A-1. There is also a sideways triangle, but without a stem as Winchester pressings typically have.

It is stamped on both sides MASTERDISK followed by what looks like a small letter "e" with a tick mark or the number 1 inside the loop of the upper section of the "e". Does anyone know what this is or who mastered this?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  14. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

53 is the code for the Keel Mfg. pressing plant. Not sure about the mastering.

15. psulioninks

I found this elsewhere on the web:

"53 = Keel Mfg. (prior to ’79); Hauppauge Record Manufacturing, Ltd. (’79 and later)"

16. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

I never found out who the lower case "e" stood for. All of my "e" pressings sounds pretty good though.

17. psulioninks

Yes, it's the best I could explain it even looking with a flashlight under a magnifying glass. My copy does have punchy bass which is quite nice...seems to be mastered well, nice dynamics too. Hard to believe nobody has any knowledge about this symbol.

18. psulioninks

Figured it out, it is the signature of Dave Crawford, see the last photo in this link:

https://www.discogs.com/Lester-Young-Mean-To-Me/release/3475177

Guess it's supposed to be a small sized "D" looping into a larger "C". Makes sense once you look at it with that knowledge.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    ashlee5 and c-eling like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    psulioninks likes this.
  20. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

That is great work! We have discussed the "MASTERDISK e" cuts a bit here and they both sound good and are rather elusive out in the wild. Looks like this is now "MASTERDISK dc".

I just picked up a MASTERDISK dc (formerly e) AFTK last week. I don't have a GK and for a clean pressing for $6, I thought, why not?

psulioninks likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

While I'm sure the Masterdisk's sound nice, if'n you're on the hunt, seek out the JAMF mastering AFTK. A quick check of your liner notes will let you know that it's the original cut?

22. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I know. I already have a JAMF. I prefer GK and dc cuts.

23. Slick Willie

Alrighty .....

kannibal likes this.
  24. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Thanks, man. I appreciate the suggestion.

Slick Willie likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For 'A Farewell To Kings', the 1983 US Howie re-issue is a great alternative also, dynamic, nice EQ :)