The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

HW Rush? Ewwwwww...

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Should have just said "alrighty"....that's what I did....:whistle:

kannibal and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:p C'mon it was a buck 99

kannibal likes this.
  4. X3Bowens

X3Bowens Forum Resident

Hey that's the one I have and it sounds great to me! Very quiet pressing and looks mighty fine Spinning on my turntable!! I picked mine a few years ago at a local record store and when I pulled this red beauty out from the cover my Jaw dropped. I live in South Texas, so to find this in a used record store so far from Canada was amazing. - I am partial to Rush - Moving Pictures was my first Rush LP and Rush was a big part of my TEEN years. I saw them live in 1984 at the Texas Jam in the Astrodome and three times since!! Fun Times!!

[​IMG]

5. SyrinxTemple

SyrinxTemple Forum Resident

Love the look of the red vinyl pressing of Hemispheres. Never heard it though.

I have a Trident UK pressing of that album that sounds amazing!

6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Just curious as to how one tells if it's an '83 (or any year?)

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Label design change was the only clue, matched a discogs release. Funny thing though, no barcode and it's not a club. I found a few with this design last year and I'm thinking 83,84 for them
    [​IMG]

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Thanks.

I knew at some point the black labels appeared. I just wasn't sure exactly when,
    Rush started using custom labels from Hemispheres on though I have a Buildings And Trees label for Exit...Stage Left.

I never pinned it down to an exact year, since my experience is only with Rush vinyl and early '80s was the closest I could come.

c-eling likes this.
  9. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Have some question on those pressings with the Dutch Audiophile Series from 15 to 20 years ago. (My very limited research online tells me there were issues of 2112 Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures)

Are those the same masterings as the usual pressings from Holland or was something special done to these?

Do they have their own unique catalog number?

Did they just put a sticker on them and import them to the US.

Just wondering if these "pressings" are more superior than normal.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  10. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Are those the same masterings as the usual pressings from Holland or was something special done to these? RL stampers were send and the regular Holland LP have the RL matrix

Do they have their own unique catalog number? --No

Did they just put a sticker on them and import them to the US. --Yes

Just wondering is these "pressings" are more superior than normal. --Better vinyl and pressing

ytserush likes this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

So the short answer is they slapped a sticker on them and sent them to the US advertising them as audiophile when they are just normal Holland pressings which by definition are generally superior to the US manufactured pressings?

dachada likes this.
  12. dachada

dachada Senior Member

well yes and not. this was a limited import done for Polydor US so I think there was a extra quality control on them .

ytserush likes this.
  13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Good to know. I guess I won't go out of my way since I already have a few of these Holland pressings without the stickers.

14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Really? I have an HW Hemispheres that sounds wonderful.

JQ

c-eling likes this.
  15. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Glad you like it. I'm not the only one who thinks that HW Rush pressings are at the bottom of the list. But if you're happy with your copy, on your system, that's all that matters.

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Didn't know he did Hemispheres. Reissue?

17. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever heard of or seen an HW Hemisperes, so it's interesting for that reason, at least. It has been a long time since I have browsed he thread, so it's possible that someone mentioned this pressing when Hemisperes was covered.

ytserush likes this.
  18. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

So I'm new here, I've read through the entire thread though, whew! Let me just say, This thread is a gold mine of info!! However, I could not find what I'm looking for. I've just acquired a sealed Hemispheres and the dead wax info is: T1 SRM - 1 - 3743 - A - cT4 A2(faint stamped A with scrawled 2)
    T1 SRM - 1 - 3743 - B - cT4
    Does anyone happen to know who mastered this one? Great job with this thread, keep it up!!

19. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Going from memory, that should be an original or close to it. I honestly can't remember if we sleuthed out who did the original US copies... I like mine though.

Brian9229 likes this.
  20. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Thanks for responding. I do like mine, I'm kind of still on the fence about it. I've played it several times now and it just seems there isn't enough high-end, maybe even a slight touch muddy, slight though. It is very full sounding, with plenty of punch, I just like a certain level of crispness that this seems to somewhat lack. I have found plenty of samples of other pressings of Hemispheres and my ears really liked the UK red vinyl version I sampled. Geddys bass was so gloriously bright, I took notice right out of the gate. I'm definitely open to any suggestions, you guys here certainly seem to have narrowed down the best of the lot.

21. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Got a nice looking copy of the Dutch blue label 2112 in and gave it a couple spins. Holy hot Grand Finale!!! It was practically smoking it was so bad. Album sounded great up to that point. 2nd side was fine on Passage, and TW, but started heating up again until the end of side 2. Think I'm gonna pick up the new 2015 pressing. I've read a lot of great things about the reissues.

22. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that this mastered by JAMF which corresponds to 1st Us pressing or a very early press of first pressing cause of later numbers (cT4)

Brian9229 likes this.
  23. Slick Willie

JAMF mastering will have their stamp in the wax...no stamp...no JAMF.

Brian9229 likes this.
  24. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

True.I forgot to ask for a JAMF reference on Brian9229's copy. I got carried away with the ''CT'' reference only because I always see it along with the JAMF one.Also I must say that JAMF isn't the 1st US pressing.The Masterdisk with G.K initials is the 1st US pressing.

25. Slick Willie

What is your reference on that statement (in bold)? The US liner notes state JAMF, even the Masterdisk ones IIRC.