The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I could be going crazy, but I don't remember mention of JAMF with Hemispheres. I'll have to check my copies when I get home.

Brian9229 likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

You are correct. Not sure about the crazy part though...:wiggle:

3. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

It has been mentioned in this forum in a thread for Rush only pressings .Some forum members mentioned it so with the additional information from Discogs I suppose it's true.(we're talking for Hemispheres right?)

4. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I stopped in to the record shop yesterday and found a minty GUP. Side two has Masterdisk BK, and sounds a bit tighter than side one. Side one starts ok, but I'm getting some random distortion throughout Red Sector A which is a little annoying, but I have another copy en route, hopefully that one pans out nicely.

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I don't recall being aware of a JAMF Hemispheres either.

6. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

So I've got my eye on two separate listings of a sealed mfsl Permanent Waves. I've read through this thread on this release, but not a whole lot of in depth opinions on its sound. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this version?

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Depending on how they stored it and the price asked, I'm always weary of sealed.
    I've picked up NOS for dirt cheap over the years and a couple have been warped beyond play-ability. Just a heads up :cheers:
    Make sure the seller accepts returns

johnny q and Brian9229 like this.
  8. Slick Willie

Sorry, I thought the discussion was for another title, you are correct for Hemispheres.
    Rock on.

SM1985 and saundr00 like this.
  9. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

in the vortex of pressings this is usual! =D
    Prog on :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  10. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I received my second copy of GUP today, and an original pressing A Farewell to Kings. My GUP has two sides stamped Masterdisk and no initials. Sounds like my other copy, with random distortion mucking up the listening. Now, my AFTK has the jamf stamp on both sides, and also no initials. I will say though, it sounds INCREDIBLE! Definitely my go to copy now. I was happy for a while with the original CD, and the remaster, but this lp is way more detailed, to put it mildly.

ytserush, SM1985 and Slick Willie like this.
  11. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I've spun Xanadu like 6 times. It's so crystal clear and the crispness is just perfect! Found some annoying surface noise during Cygnus X-1, going give this thing a cleaning.

12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I just picked up a VG+ UK first pressing of Permanent Waves and all I can say is... wow. It sounds HUGE. Best I've ever heard this album, and I've been listening to it since discovering Rush in 1981...

I'm curious to hear a UK Signals and wonder if anyone has ever heard one. I wonder how it stacks up against the Masterdisk RL that I've recently picked up, because this UK PW sounds absolutely immense compared to my RL Signals. (Yes, I know, different albums, etc. Just wondering if all the British pressings sound this good.)

13. Slick Willie

I'm guessing that your Waves is a RAYS mastering. That mastering is also available on early US pressings (IIRC, CDN also). And IIRC, Waves was the last full analog offering?
    On Signals, the RL would be the top copy, also available on some UK pressings.

Brian9229 likes this.
  14. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

The U.S. Permanent Waves "RAYS" cut was certainly an eye-opener!

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

bxbluesman and Slick Willie like this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Never opened mine. I listen to the MFSL CD, which could be my favorite sounding pressing though I like the original Japanese CD pressing, but this isn't the Rush Cd thread.

16. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I don't have anything in terms of an in-depth opinion, but I would buy it. I bought it recently from the forums.
    There are a couple of other threads IIRC that discuss this release. I do have the US RAYS as well and I think the MFSL stands up to it very very well. If this is one of your favorites, I'd go for it for sure.....

Brian9229 likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

I've got one, and a Masterdisk, and a Rays press. The Mofi has a rich/lush presentation, sounds very nice (horrible cover art BTW).
    From a collector standpoint, The MoFi may be the one to get, While the others I mentioned have better detail (Rays pressing being the definitive one IMO) and are more cost effective.

Brian9229 likes this.
  18. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Lol, I do like the cover, but I will say, it is quite bizarre. Thanks so much for your input. So I think I'm going to try to find a copy of the Rays pressing first. Hopefully a quiet one. I really just want the best sounding one. But half the fun is the hunt, so I'm looking forward to finding this.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. Slick Willie

Best sounding....oh you definitely want a RAYS! Runner up, IMO, is a Masterdisk HW.
    BTW, the MoFi cover comment was because the scan is so bad, very dark and blurry....can't believe that MoFi released it that way....a shame!

Brian9229 likes this.
  20. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Really? You like the HW press too? I've seen so many folks pass on a lot of his pressings because of various issues, I think like too much high-end and thin sounding, but I'm open to giving just about any pressing a chance. Oh! I had no idea about the mofi cover being a botch job. Weird, that anything of theirs isn't top notch. Thanks for your welcome opinion!

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

True, the HW puts more emphasis on the highs as compared to the RAYS and MoFi, but I wouldn't call it thin sounding. A tad more brittle than the RAYS fo' sure though.
    Here is a pic of the MoFi and the US jacket, hope you can see the difference with my pic.
    [​IMG]

Brian9229 and ytserush like this.
  22. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Your pic makes the MFSL looks better than it really does. It's inexplicable how that one made it out the door.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

ytserush and Slick Willie like this.
  23. Slick Willie

Ha! I thought the same when I posted, looks worse in person!

24. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Did any one of you guys pick up the RSD 2017 Cygnus X-1 12"? I didn't bother because I already have decent original pressings of those fantastic epic works. Only comments I'm hearing about it so far pertains to the stellar packaging. I thought the cover looked kinda goofy, but does it come with some old retro pictures/posters of Rush with the double-necks or something that would make it a must-have? Would love to see some pics of the contents. Maybe I'll try asking in the RSD 2017 thread but is seems a little nutty in there! :crazy:

25. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Yeah, wow, that's quite a difference. What were they thinking?!

Slick Willie likes this.