The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Hard to believe that someone approved that one!

Echoes Myron and Brian9229 like this.
  2. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Just came across this thread. I'll add in what I have:

Hemispheres
    Mercury SRM-1-3743
    US
    Brains Label
    Matrix / Runout - Side A:
    SRM-1-3743 A-13 MASTERDISK G.K. SMK
    Matrix / Runout - Side B:
    SRM-1-3743 B-13 MASTERDISK G.K. SMK

Permanent Waves
    Mercury SRM-1-4001
    US
    Grey Label with red "electronic monitor" reading
    Album Cover:
    Newspaper headline blanked out;Band member names on billboards on right.
    Matrix / Runout - Side A:
    B3 (then there's a symbol looks like an elongated triangle with the point to the left) SRM-1-4001-A RAYS G.T.
    Matrix / Runout - Side B:
    B2 (then there's a symbol looks like an elongated triangle with the point to the left) SRM-1-4001-B RAYS G.T.

Exit...Stage Left
    Mercury SRM-2-7001
    US
    Skyline Labels
    Matrix / Runout - Side 1:
    B-2 <-> SRM-2-7001-AS-HRM-1 MASTERDISK-BK
    Matrix / Runout - Side 2:
    A-3 <-> SRM-2-7001-BS-HRM MASTERDISK (no -1 after HRM)
    Matrix / Runout - Side 3:
    B-1 <-> SRM-2-7001-CS-HRM-1 (no MASTERDISK stamp)
    Matrix / Runout - Side 4:
    B-3 <-> SRM-2-7001-DS-HRM-1 MASTERDISK RL

One of the few times that I'm glad that I'm very nearsighted. LOL

3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, the consensus seems to be that Waves is HW's best.

Can't prove this, but it seems like Mobile Fidelity used a record club pressing for the art. I used to have a few record club Permanent Waves and they looked very similar.

I listen to the MFSL CD, but can never make up my mind if I like it better than the original Japanese pressing or the Sector. I imagine if the the 2015 reissue gets mastered for the CD I would prefer that based on my experience with the 40th 2112 CD.

Not really related to this but when Atlantic did it's first CD remasters of Presto through Test For Echo (2004?), the art was nearly as poor.

Slick Willie and Brian9229 like this.
  4. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I've heard that and will probably start a hunt for a HW waves, while pursuing other versions. I'd like as many versions as possible to narrow down the best sounding.(to my ears) I'm awaiting AF sacd versions of Presto, Counterparts and Hemispheres. In considering those, I also was considering the mfsl cd of waves. Right now I'll be starting with a copy of the mfsl vinyl waves which I also have en route to me, as I caved on that one. I really want to try the mfsl CD out. Now, you actually like the sector mastering? I've actually not heard many praises for it. It's usually grouped with the '97 remasters as sounding harsh, shrilly, etc. I've not heard any of the sector set though myself.

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Sorry, meant to say original atomic.

The Sector CD is probably a distant fourth behind the MFSL, original Japanese and original atomic which is all I have on CD other than the 1997 (which I still have but don't really count I guess.)

Brian9229 likes this.
  6. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Does anyone know if the op of Signals included the 82 tour book? I wouldn't really think so, but never know. I received a copy today that included it.

ytserush likes this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It did not in the USA. Not sure about anywhere else.

Brian9229 likes this.
  8. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

I dont think so either.I believe the tour book you found in your copy was separate and the previous owner just added it in the copy.I have a German copy of Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses that contained a poster with the band and I can't find a reference anywhere.

Brian9229 likes this.
  9. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I haven't read the whole thread, and I know it's old, but anyone know if I have an RL Signals here?

Side 1: SRM-1-4063-AS-PRC-C1-1-1, then B?, then 1
    Side 2: 'SRM-1-4063-BS-PRC-C1-1-1-11

No MASTERDISK stamp. No other markings.

10. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

So, I found a 1st Canadian press GK Caress of Steel this week! Mine is good and bad. The music sounds great! Tight, lotsa space, crisp high end and nicely balanced. No distortion. Unfortunately, the vinyl is very noisy, and that particular album has a lot of quiet sections. I have heard that this is a hard one to find a clean copy of. What have been your experiences? And what would cause noisy vinyl with great sounding music? It certainly doesn't sound worn out, judging by the music. Would it have come from the plant like that in the first place? My record was wet cleaned when I bought it at the shop, because I thought that might have helped with the noise. Doesn't seem like it did.

Brian9229 and Bernard hansen like this.
  11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Bill Kipper. Good mastering engineer.

Brian9229 likes this.
  12. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I do love his work.

13. Slick Willie

No, not an RL. You will see Masterdisk stamped and a small RL etched on his cuts.

14. marcfeld69

Thanks, but always?

15. marcfeld69

Another member has posited the theory that Brian Lee might have written the matrix. This site mentions it was mastered by Ludwig and Lee (I had thought they had done two separate masterings).

16. Slick Willie

Always is a difficult term to use with vinyl ...but...on this title, yes.

17. Slick Willie

:shrug:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I'll have to disagree on that one. My copy of Signals is a two-sided MASTERDISK with only an RL on Side 1. But the handwriting for the codes are clearly the same, and are clearly Bob Ludwig's when you compare it to other titles.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Mine is like that as well... Masterdisk RL on side 1, Masterdisk (no RL) on side 2. I don't see a double RL listed on Discogs. Of course that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Same thing with Grace Under Pressure. I have never seen RL in the deadwax, but the handwriting of the matrix code matches his handwriting, and there's a MASTERDISK stamp.

I think there was a short time in the 80s when he didn't always sign his work.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I guess you'd have to see the actual matrix handwriting in the example that @marcfeld69 is talking about and compare it to an RL cut....as I tend to agree with Slick....for this title, it's gonna say RL on at least one side for it to be cut by RL.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. Slick Willie

Yes at this time (as I understand it) he did not always sign both sides. I should have stated yes, with at least one side having the RL ....then ya' need to add that the handwriting needs to match....and that is subjective and interruptive....so for my stuff, I count it as an RL when it has the RL. I won't argue with anyone that does different, makes me no nevermind!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

And in the end, it doesn't really matter if Side B sounds as good as Side A! :D

Slick Willie likes this.
  24. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I have a copy and it's not a revelatory listening experience. It sounds great but I didn't notice a huge difference between it and thenreissue hemi.

But, there was no cool posters or pics with it. Not sure where you got that info but it's pretty bare bones packaging.

ytserush and Scroller like this.
  25. marcfeld69

Any chance of a good pic of that handwriting? I'll pm you my email address if here is a hassle.