The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

No hassle... I'll try to do this tomorrow. PM me if I slack and don't come through!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Cool.

3. SyrinxTemple

SyrinxTemple Forum Resident

I think the MFSL Permanent Waves sounds terrific. I especially love the sound of Neil's drums during "Jacob's Ladder". Of course, my only comparison is the CRC version. I have never heard the original RAYS pressing.

marcfeld69 and Slick Willie like this.
  4. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

yes but he says that his copy doesn't have nor Masterdisk nor RL so nothing shows that his copy is a Ludwig one

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I was just address Slick Willie's comments, not marcfeld69's pressing.

SM1985 and marcfeld69 like this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Looks like you got a bonus. The tour books were only available through the backstage club and at the shows.

Brian9229 likes this.
  7. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

So I ordered a "1st American" copy of Fly By Night. It arrived yesterday. Not a GK! The package looks original, but the vinyl doesn't have any mention of the Masterdisk GK. So this can't be a 1st right? Even the album notes give credit to Masterdisk and Gilbert Kong.

Instead this one has R104616A stamped in the deadwax. And A1 P. (or AI D?)
    Anybody know what this is?

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The R probably indicates an RCA record club pressing. Anything on the sleeve to indicate that?

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Rockin' Robby

Nope. Sleeve number matches the vinyl actually, Manufactured and distributed by Phonogram. This record sounds very good, like my GK with perhaps a touch more top end? Has early skyscraper labels.
    20170531 161047 HDR
    20170531 110503 HDR

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Yep, that's a club press. RCA Music Service number.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  11. Rockin' Robby

Cool, thanks! They would have used a different mastering engineer? This record actually sounds very good.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

On the bottom right side of the first picture of the back cover you see the R 104616 on it, It's also on the bottom of the record label. Definitely an RCA record club copy.

ytserush likes this.
  13. Rockin' Robby

They would have used a different mastering engineer?

ytserush and Slick Willie like this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

In this case probably.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The majority of record club pressings were mastered "in house" from a copy of the master. Sometimes it comes out great, sometimes it doesn't.

Rockin' Robby and Spitfire like this.
  16. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

I'm waiting my fresh mint copy of Hemispheres US MASTERDISK GK on both sides after the old copy I had,has masterdisk only on one side and enough crackle not to enjoy it.I''ll report as soon as I have it.

17. Slick Willie

True. One exception would be Record Club Of America, all I have seen were pressed using current production stampers.

ODShowtime and Rockin' Robby like this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That would have been my guess.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Please forgive me, I can't quite figure where to find the order of the albums or the exact pressings listed here, so my humble apologies!

I have what I THINK is an original U.S. pressing (I live here in the U.S.) of 2112. I listened to it the other day, and MAN did it sound good! :D I've heard comparisons done between this one and the new 2115 Remaster, but I found it, although not too bad, somewhat less 'present', the original having what I felt was a lot more 'staging and separation'

My copy is in pretty good shape, EXCEPT wouldn't you know, during the quietest passages (you know what they are - right when his voice drops both times in the suite on side 1) there happens to be a recurring crackle. So, I would REALLY like to find a better copy. Does anyone here know if perhaps the earlier UK, German, or Japanese pressings would be better than my U.S. original. I have a chance to purchase a near mint Japanese vinyl album (printed in 1981 I think) from the UK shipped for about $40.

I can also get a near mint what LOOKS like a first UK edition (1976?) shipped for around that or a little less.

Any thoughts would be HUGELY helpful, thanks!

20. Slick Willie

As you didn't give enough info, I can't comment on any of those pressings. It is generally thought, and I agree, that the best ones will have JAMF stamped in the wax.

21. latheofheaven

Hi, sorry about that... here is the Japanese pressing that I was interested in buying:

Rush - 2112

I was just asking in general about any Japanese or German or maybe UK pressings of 2112 that are known or thought of to be better than the original U.S. pressing that I have.

Thanks!

22. latheofheaven

Heh, unfortunately in my excitement of finding a near mint copy at this price, I'm afraid I clicked on the 'buy' button instead of the 'message' button to write the sellers about the album. So, they've sent me an invoice now, but I would REALLY LOVE to hear from as many of you guys as possible who might actually KNOW about this album and how it sounds.

I know, like you said above here, that the ones with 'JAMF' stamped on it are the 'best' ones. But that doesn't help me. What I really need to know is about THIS pressing or maybe comparable or better Imports (Japan, German, UK) that are known to better the original U.S. pressing.

Very much appreciate it!

23. Slick Willie

I can only comment on what I own, A JAMF and a Masterdisk, 1st & 2nd issues. The JAMF is the one! The JPN press will be of superior vinyl quality, but from every JPN mastered disc I own, I will state that it will be geared towards the highs. Not that it will be bad, just that you will still be seeking 'the one'.

24. latheofheaven

Thanks Bro! I appreciate the input. Yes, of the many Japanese pressings that I have, I've noticed that they can indeed vary quite a bit. That is why I usually prefer German pressings. I've found that overall they are much more consistent.

Since I've impulsively committed to buying it, I might just have to suck it up and buy the damn thing and hope for the best. The good news is that being in near mint condition, if I'm not that thrilled with it, maybe it won't be too hard to sell it for not too much less.

Heh, my U.S. pressing may very well BE the JAMF pressing too! It honestly DOES sound very good; it's just the damn quiet passages (all 2 of them) where it bugs me a little. But, maybe it's best to just live with that since the rest of it sounds really good! I just know that in hearing the exact comparison between what I THINK is mine and the new Remaster, I felt that it was just a TAD 'canned' sounding and that the sound stage (the drums, mainly) didn't sound nearly as 'open' as mine. I DID take a chance on the new 'Caress of Steel' though. I have both the original 'Archives' set and the original U.S. print. The U.S. print sounds better than the Archives set one, but I felt that there was room for improvement. So, I'm HOPING that I will like the new one. It just arrived yesterday :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  25. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Let us know how you like the new Caress of Steel.