The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Well all is IMO.
    But yes, I usually find then better, usually the best mastering and thought to be the earliest pressings. Promo stamped cover versions are usually from the original run but are pulled from stock copies as needed.
    I usually have good luck with those too, just have to look at the matrix....and there's bo way to be sure to cover and LP have not been switched.

ytserush likes this.
  2. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Good to know, thanks! :tiphat:

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Yes.
    That's the one I was asking about. I think mine is a Kong but I's have to check. That's considered a "white label" even though in this case it really isn't all white. The regular version is normally colored.

4. latheofheaven

Yeah, I checked it tonight when I went to do some listening. It is definitely not a Promo, and it really isn't all white. I believe based upon the deadwax and label that it is simply a regular first U.S. pressing. Don't know who did it though; I believe in the discussions here some of the very early pressings are indeterminate as to who did them. Maybe I'm wrong on that though; others here for SURE would know...

All I DO know is that I'm glad FINALLY to have found a pressing that really sounds very good, better than the other 4 different pressings that I have. I was so used to the other ones, even my pretty good black label 'trutone' deadwax one (Don't know WHERE the hell that was pressed or who did it!) and when I put this mint baby on, AHHHH... I was SO surprised to hear all the bloody SOUND coming off of it! It's like I was finally actually hearing it for the first time! :)

ytserush likes this.
  5. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

OK, so here is my copy, mastered by Alan Moy...an LP which I am very confused about...any insight is appreciated!

RUSH - Caress of Steel
    SRM 1-1046 (though the spine says MERCURY 0698)

Mercury Skyline Label (top of the label DOES mention Polygram, and pressing plant 53)
    Gatefold with lyrics and pictures . On the bottom left it says "Also available on Musicassette and Stereo 8 Track Tape"
    Red "704" on the back of the jacket, bottom right.

Side A Matrix/Runout SRM-1-1046-A-K2 B2 <---> MASTERDISK AM
    Side B Matrix/Runout SRM-1-1046-B-K2 B2 <---> MASTERDISK AM

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. latheofheaven

Well, just about EVERYONE else here knows more than me about this, but doing a quick search, this was the closest one I could find pressed at plant 53 and where the deadwax runout is similar. But, it looks like this one is mastered by Howie Weinberg:

Rush - Caress Of Steel

ToddBD likes this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yep, saw that one, and it’s one that contributed to my frustration in pinning down the pressing year. I have not gone back in this thread to check the COS postings...that’s the next step tonight.

The store where I got this had a JAMF “A Farewell to Kings” in the bin, but I passed since it was pretty beat up. On the bright side, I did score a nice clean “All The World’s A Stage” with GK on all four sides, for $15. I balked at the “A Show Of Hands” that was in there because there were no pressing marks on either of the LPs, on either side. The rest of the bin was new vinyl releases, and I’m not willing to part with $40 for them just yet.

ODShowtime and latheofheaven like this.
  8. latheofheaven

Nice score on ATWAS! :)

I have what I feel is a pretty nice early US pressing of 2112, but it is some weird 'Trutone' mastering. I've asked about it several times, but no one seems to know what that is... It sounds pretty dynamic and absolutely sounds a HELL of a lot better than the pricey early UK pressing I bought (GEEZ... [​IMG]) and I need to go back again and compare, but I have an even MORE pricey Japanese pressing that sounds good but a bit shy on the low end. Soooo... I'm like with those other unnecessary and rather expensive acquisitions that didn't really help, I'm thinking I might be able to live with whatever this 'Trutone' pressing is that I have... I'm still tempted,though, to snag a JAMF someday, but I want to make a completely objective judgment about mine first.

And, Willie, if you come here and say one more time that the JAMF is the absolutely BEST pressing again, I swear I will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep! (actually, no I won't... you are FAR too valuable to me alive :D)

Slick Willie and ToddBD like this.
  9. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yeah I can’t wait to put that ATWAS on tonight. That COS sounds good, but I wouldn’t put it in the “great” category.

I forgot to mention there was a Robert Ludwig “Signals,” but no RL on side 2...and it was very scratchy, so I passed. I’m getting picky :D

10. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

I recently bought A NM copy of Farewell to Kings with CT A1/CT B2 and JAMF of course on both sides.Plays superb with no noise.It had it's original shrink, think about that and back cover smelled like ink which means like new :uhhuh::pineapple:
    2112 I bought it a year ago.Another NM copy with no hint of ringware on backcover (as it usually is) and is the Hybrid pressing with JAMF on one side and MASTERDISK G.K on the other.

11. latheofheaven

I do believe that someone has been bragging just a little bit too much... [​IMG]

SM1985 and Slick Willie like this.
  12. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

nahhh more like I'm so happy and excited so I wanted to share it with other fellow Rush maniacs

ToddBD and latheofheaven like this.
  13. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

look here on first page of this thread.saundr00 on his second thread mentions 'Trutone'' mastering on his Permanent Waves copy so maybe he knows something.Give it a try and ask him.He started this fabulous thread anyway.

14. latheofheaven

Good suggestion! Yeah, in searching earlier, I did notice that at least it was mentioned on one of the other albums.

Happy for you mate! Let us know how everything sounds [​IMG]

SM1985 likes this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm finding some great Rush vinyl during my journey through the Valley of the Sun. I have seen more than one beautiful mint all JAMF ATWAS, a bunch of really nice ESLs, but alas, none all RL.

I picked up a nice looking JAMF A2/B2 AFTK, a New York label G.K. 2112, and best of all, brought from the back and not priced yet G.K. of Fly By Night with the sleeve intact. I had a feeling this place would have mad Rush vinyl and I was correct. I have to stop now because I can't fit anymore records in my suitcase.

I also found some awesome Monarchs but I will brag about them in the appropriate threads. Happy record store day to yinz.

16. latheofheaven

How can you be so happy for someone, and still want to BEAT them at the same time...? :pineapple: [​IMG]

SM1985 and ODShowtime like this.
  17. Rush2112

Rush2112 New Member

Hi all Rush fan,
    i'am new here from québec city (canada) and i need help. i recently enter my collection on discorg.com (a must for vynil collector) and i ddn't find one of my copy of 2112. I don't find exactly my matrice print. I pass all the canadian 2112 vynil on discorg and no one have the same print on the label. so you are my last chance to find it exactly.

matrice A ; DM-4 ANR-1-1004-A-1A-2HZ
    matrice B ; DM-4 ANR-1-1004-B 1A-2HZ

on the label the "RUSH" The "rush" are in bold font and this the characteristique that i didn't found.

thank you and sorry for my poor english.

christian

18. latheofheaven

Welcome Christian! :wave:

This one comes pretty close if you scoot the stuff around a little...

Rush - 2112

19. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Went hunting yesterday after an appointment, and hit up a little store in a strip mall that stocked a decent amount of used LPs. What I found, in the order which I found them:

1. HW "Permanent Waves"...I already have two really clean copies of HW pressings, so at $7.99 I left it behind.
    2. PRC pressing of "Hemispheres"...the pressing I currently have is also a PRC, but this one was pretty nicked up, and at $12.99 I left that one behind too. I know it's kind of rare, but I thought it was pretty overpriced.
    3. "Signals" with an RL Side 1, but Side 2 had no mastering mark...and the RL side had a deep scratch through Analog Kid and Chemistry, like someone took a nail to it, so for $7.99, I put it back.
    4. JAMF "2112" that matches the pressing I already have, and at $4.99 I couldn't bring it home fast enough. Though it was a bit dirty, the vinyl overall is much less shiny than my first one, and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound even better even if it is slightly warped.

I swear to God, it was just dumb luck. Should have played the lottery.

20. latheofheaven

Very nice! One of these days, hopefully BEFORE I die, I would actually like to acquire a genuine JAMF of 2112... [​IMG]

Slick Willie and ToddBD like this.
  21. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I just picked up the 2112 Hologram Edition from Best Buy. It was regularly $28 but they price matched me from Target online which had it for only $20. Definitely worth it IMO.

ytserush, ToddBD and latheofheaven like this.
  22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was checking out my original pressing of 2112 and I have the Gilbert Kong mastered version. Thats usually regarded well around here right?

23. latheofheaven

Nice deal!

24. latheofheaven

I'm not personally familiar with how the GK sounds, but I think the general consensus here is that the JAMF (stamped in the deadwax) is the best. If you do a search in this thread for '2112', I seem to remember some comments about the GK pressing...

There is a member here who posts LOVELY vinyl comparisons on YouTube and here. There is a nice one of an early US Club pressing of 2112 and the new one. There are preferences, but to be honest the new one did sound quite nice.

ytserush likes this.
  25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My parents randomly brought me one they found at a yardsale in central FL a few years ago. It's pretty beat up but I was happy when I saw it was a desirable pressing. I plan to play it again soon.

The G.K. 2112 I found in Phoenix last week sounds amazing but you can tell it is a later pressing, not by the sound but the labels.