The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I love them all! :)

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

o_Oo_O

So if the GK isn't the first US pressing?What is the first US pressing??Please elaborate! (matrices etc.)

latheofheaven and Rockin' Robby like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Re: Caress Of Steel
    Probably the easiest way to get the numbers is for someone with a promo label press to share.

4. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I know... Slick would know way better than me. There was some discussion earlier on this thread where IIRC the origins of the very 1st US are kind of murky... You can do a search of this thread with the album title and find it if you want.

When I get over to my listening room, HOPEFULLY later today, I will check it out and see what the deadwax looks like.

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

@latheofheaven @SM1985

My US Caress Of Steel WLP is the same as my regular 70's release, and no GK on either. They sound the same to me...good.

Side 1 : SRM - 1 - 1046 A2 CT
    Side 2 : SRM - 1 - 1046 B1 CT

I do have a Masterdisk GK set of Archives (all 6 sides). The GK CoS is also good.
    Maybe a tad more detail and a slight less bass punch...using Bastille Day to compare all three.
    I can't see this LP sounding any better than any of these three on vinyl, and I do like the 2015 issue, too.
    It's my favorite Rush album.
    :righton:

pexie, ArpMoog, jon9091 and 3 others like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Thanks for taking the time to do that!

latheofheaven and boboquisp like this.
  7. latheofheaven

Yes, thank you for checking on that! :)

That is likely the one I have also, and I haven't done a side by side yet, but as soon as I put it on I could tell that it sounded great! I also had thought that my GK sounded very good too. But, not actually comparing them yet, I didn't just pick up cold on that subtle difference. I THINK I did kind of notice the really strong bass though on the 1st like you said.

Both of those pressings (which of course would include the WLP) to my lowly and wretched ears are definitely the best sounding of all the blind shooting in the dark I did anyway [​IMG] You DO have me curious though... You still say that you like the new remaster, so that makes me want to go back and compare that properly. I THINK what gave me such a poor initial impression was that I hadn't acquired my Crown yet to drive the low-end, and for some odd reason it seems like SM's mastering of these requires more volume / low-end. But, since you have the better pressings to compare and you do like the new one, I really should go back and listen again, because I've pretty much heard consistently here that most everyone likes that one...

boboquisp likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

Heh... Okay, first thing is that I DID indeed forget to check the deadwax of my 1st US Caress of Steel, sorry about that... (Sorry Willie, I also forgot to check my 1st UK pressing of Animals too... [​IMG] )

Anyway, I did get a chance to listen to the remixed vinyl of Vapor Trails and I was quite pleasantly surprised! :D In my lowly and wretched opinion, it is one of the better sounding newer or remastered Rush albums that I've heard. YES, it does kind of sound a bit processed in the mids like around the range where Geddy's voice is and that sounds a little odd, but the dynamics! Wow! What an improvement over the last several newer or remastered albums by them that I've heard. Far, FAR more dynamic than just about any of them. REAL soundstage and dimension in the sound. Granted, that is what my system is set up to favour, so I can really tell a difference. Like I say, probably because of the 'Remix', tonally it can sound a bit strange and processed sometimes, but I personally will EASILY trade that for the nice, dynamic range and especially the low-end sounds SO much better than most of the others that I've heard. I don't have to crank up the Crown artificially like I do on most of the others. Big difference! So, that was a nice surprise! :)

9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I have an ANR-1-1030 Moving Pictures coming in the mail soon. 2 out of the 3 non-record club pressings I've seen on Discogs have RL in the matrix, so hopefully that's what I'm getting. My only other vinyl copy is a US CRC pressing, but I haven't heard it in a while.

10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just got Rush - Presto 200 gram vinyl and sounds good but seems to missing a little punch to my ears compared to the remastered cd that I have

pexie, DiabloG and latheofheaven like this.
  11. latheofheaven

If it has 'RL' on both sides of the deadwax, you are in for a VERY nice listening experience! I have a lovely Dutch double 'RL' and when I put it on, it did indeed blow my pants off! :yikes:

SM1985, tinnox and DiabloG like this.
  12. latheofheaven

Yeah, that is what I originally thought too... then I heard the original [​IMG]

Someone above mentioned that the original mix was just that way. I'm kind of sorry that I sent the remaster back now...

pexie and tinnox like this.
  13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Great LP though and the vinyl is excellent.

14. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

I have the only gatefold press ever existed which is a Scandinavian AKA Norwegian one with RL on deadwax and really blows my mind

15. latheofheaven

Yeah Baby! I was fortunate and scored a pristine NM pressing of that for about $24 or so and the thing literally blew my frigg'n PANTS off! :yikes:

SM1985 likes this.
  16. latheofheaven

... am I repeating myself...??? [​IMG]

17. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

me too but for 8 euros o_O

18. latheofheaven

[​IMG]

SM1985 likes this.
  19. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I'm very happy to report that my Canadian pressing is a double RL! :goodie: It'll go quite nicely with my RL versions of Exit Stage Left and Power Windows.

ToddBD and latheofheaven like this.
  20. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

So I pulled out one of my op Hemispheres (bought sealed) this morning to spin and the sticker on the back(which says: Factory Sealed)had almost completely come off, so I pulled it off.(all the sticky on it was long gone)and it has a gold promo stamp. Pretty cool. [​IMG]

21. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

wow! is this a mastedisk GK pressing?

22. latheofheaven

Good goin' mate! :righton:

23. latheofheaven

Very nice! :agree:

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I just found a pristine near mint copy of this pressing mentioned earlier in the thread:

Hemispheres
    Mercury SRM-1-3743
    US
    Brains Label
    Matrix / Runout - Side A:
    SRM-1-3743 A-13 MASTERDISK G.K. SMK
    Matrix / Runout - Side B:
    SRM-1-3743 B-13 MASTERDISK G.K. SMK

With poster to boot. Great pressing and excellent mastering. Dead silent on side 1. Side 2 is incredibly powerful! Really special piece of wax.

25. latheofheaven

Sounds like an awesome find!