The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I'm listening to the FLAC version of Presto right now. The song 'Scars' REALLY reminds me of The Fixx! The way the guitar has those electronically treated accents in the background are very similar to the way The Fixx's guitarist plays (and a TINY bit like A Flock of Seagulls :))

DiabloG likes this.
  2. latheofheaven

BTW, for you digital hounds out there, I'm listening to the Audio Fidelity SACD version :) And, to be honest, I THINK I can tell that the original mastering just isn't quite up to some of their other albums, thus the resulting sounding vinyl I would guess... But, the mastering used by Audio Fidelity is not coming across as really bright. Tonally, it sounds pretty balanced. Just some compression I think...

***EDIT

With this SACD version, I am definitely NOT getting a super 'clinical' sound as was menioned about the recent vinyl remaster.

3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In a 2011 interview, Peart said of Presto: "That was an album that, for all of us, should have been so much better than it was ... If we could do one [album] again, it would be that one, because we still love the songs from it, but... you can never make magic happen." From a Corus Radio interview...

ytserush and latheofheaven like this.
  4. latheofheaven

Very interesting... I would say that that is the impression that does come across when listening to it. It's like the potential is there for it to be 'really good', but it just has, to me anyway, too many weak songs. Still, I feel a bit stronger than the next few...

5. SyrinxTemple

SyrinxTemple Forum Resident

It's funny you should mention The Fixx because I am almost certain that Rupert Hine was the producer for The Fixx in the eighties. I am posting this up with enough certainty to not look this up to verify, so someone let me know if I am wrong.

ToddBD, DiabloG and latheofheaven like this.
  6. SyrinxTemple

SyrinxTemple Forum Resident

So, here's something funny...

I have 3 copies of Power Windows, two older and one is the new pressing. I sometimes run across albums at antique stores and just buy them without listening, so I'm way behind on checking out some of my albums. Well, after someone was wondering about whether there is a Power Windows with RL on both sides I pulled out my copies.

I have one copy of power windows with RL on both sides, however, BOTH sides have the Side 1 label on them. So, it is some sort of misprint. But, musically it has Side 1 on one side and Side 2 on the other ("Territories" sounds amazing, btw). So, this does confirm that there are copies of Power Windows with RL mastering on both sides.

Now, to find out on Discogs if there is a listing for the misprinted label.

pexie, Echoes Myron, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  7. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Yeah there are some weak tracks on that album; to me the best tracks are The Pass and Warpaint. Anagram (For Mongo) is good but not great. The rest to me are meh.

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

Excellent! Now, I need to get mine out and look at it :)

9. latheofheaven

Wow, now isn't that interesting... Normally, I wouldn't comment on someone else's opinion per se, but this shows how personal taste REALLY plays a huge part in these kind of things. Heh, it is SO almost otherworldly, but you chose the PRECISE 3 tracks that I honestly like the very least on the album! Isn't that interesting. To me, (Mongo being 'okay' also) those tracks are 'meh' like the rest of the album is to you. I always find that truly fascinating how almost exact opposites resonate completely differently with different people. To me, the first two songs are pretty catchy, the two you mention are completely uninteresting to me, and then I like a few more, but the last 4 songs are kind of 'meh'...

I just found that honestly fascinating that you chose particularly those two tracks to mention :) I've always found it really intriguing how people are moved or resonate to such completely different things...

DiabloG and Madness like this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Strawberry ice cream is my fav, many will say chocolate. Is anyone wrong?

Madness likes this.
  11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Yeah that's amazing about Rush fans lol. I think the three guys have said that The Pass is their favorite song ever.

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm a fan of both bands so maybe I'm too close to it, but other than Rupert Hine being involved with both Presto and Roll The Bones I really don't hear any Fixx on either of those albums. I've always those both of those bands were kind of unique which is what attracted me to them.

But now that you mention it I can see how that technique might be similar with Red Skies.

13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Geddy really loves it. I think he's the only one on record about it. Last time I think it was played live was the Vapor Trails tour in 2002.

14. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The sometimes played The Pass during the Clockwork Angels Tour, including the show I attended in Cincinnati. They changed up the set a bit for each night, and the one Cinci got also had Middletown Dreams played between Grand Designs and Territories. I was a fan of the synth-era, and since I was also just getting into the band around that time, it was like a dream come true. Still my favorite concert ever, even though I haven't attended many (at least not yet). :)

ytserush, latheofheaven and ToddBD like this.
  15. Slick Willie

a-hem.....this is about vinyl pressings....not what you girls think about the albums...:p

16. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Sorry...my bad on that. I can slip into “analysis mode” pretty easily.

Does anyone have the Moving Pictures: Live 2011 LP? Saw it where I picked up my non-record club Power Windows, and they wanted $20 for it, so I passed. Is it good enough to be worth that price?

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No. Same compressed sound as the video, unfortunately

ToddBD likes this.
  18. latheofheaven

Uh, Willie... I think it's time for your medication... [​IMG]

19. latheofheaven

Wow, amazing... out of all the brilliant stuff they've done...

20. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Happy 10th anniversary to this thread (I’m a few days late).

:edthumbs:

latheofheaven, ToddBD and ad180 like this.
  21. latheofheaven

Indeed Bro, very nice! :righton:

22. Slick Willie

10 years huh?
    I'm beginning to believe this band might catch on!!!

ToddBD and latheofheaven like this.
  23. latheofheaven

That's Willie all right, always on the cutting edge... :biglaugh:

Slick Willie likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

:wiggle:

25. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

I've got a copy of the first Rush lp on Mercury, (Canadian). It doesn't seem to have any "Moon" affiliation, but the deadwax is marked "MASTERDISK" followed by G. Kong (on Side 1), and G. K. (on Side 2). Anybody know if it has any value? Thanks.
    Rush - Rush