The Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2009-2010 Season thread*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gregory Earl, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Tom Petty's performances were better than I had expected.

Matt

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Very funny! Really, Just watch KW trying to not to crack up. Hard to not laugh watching it.

This is the first time I've seen them include the musical performances on Hulu. (Maybe it's happened before, but this is the first time I've seen.)

I thought it was okay. AB is just a funny guy. The swim team award skit was pretty funny.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The digital short with the coke nose guy was pretty darn funny.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought lasts night's show wasn't half bad. I'm tempted to call it "good". Liked Wiig's new character, "Starfish", and always enjoy a "Garth & Kat" sighting. I liked the microwave/time machine thing, even though it was pretty dumb.

5. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Tom Petty still has it after all of these years...

6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I had forgotten about the Coke guy. Yeah....that was pretty good.

I'll say again that the show wasn't bad, but it just didnt have that season finale feel about it. (Remember LAST seasons finale? Fantastic.)

Wigg and Armisten cracking up during the G&K bit is not distracting at all to me--it actually adds to the lunacy of the whole premise. I would take them cracking up any day before I would recall the constant breaking that we used to be subject to with Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz.

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

The only reason I watched this show was for Tom Petty. Thought he was great. The rest of the show was horrible except for a couple laughs at weekend update. It's like the amateur hour or something, the skits went on for way too long and most of them just weren't funny at all. Oh well, Tom Petty rocked and that's all that mattered.

8. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

What was the name of the Led Zeppelin song Petty covered as his first song?

:hide:

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Ha! That was my thought EXACTLY as I watched, plus I thought he was doing a great Bob Dylan impersonation on the closing number. Both were good, though, IMO.

Matt

10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just a rehash of all of the skits that Alec Baldwin is known for. I give them a lot of credit for relying on past ideas for most of it.

The one with the father and daughter at the cookout was very impressive. The girl in that one (Nasim?) was so snappy and on her lines that it almost threw me. It wasn't the normal cue-card reading SNL that I'm used to seeing. Very nice job.

11. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

My wife actually asked if he had a "covers" CD in stores. We both thought the 2nd song was a Dylan cover as well.

12. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I forgot about that one. Really funny!

13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yep, Nasim Pedrad, she's cute, very good.

Abby Elliot's Sally Field commercial too.

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Loved the Digital Short. I also thought the skit with "Starfish" the script supervisor was funny. Would have been funnier without Baldwin commenting on her teeth. It was just right without that, but him constantly saying "teeth" was just over stating the obvious.

I always enjoy the two singers who make up their songs on the spot during the Weekend Update. And the swim team award skit was great.

15. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

It was a decent episode, but the energy level couldn’t match last week's Ms. White’s episode, as Alec would allude to in his monologue. I did love his comment about SNL being watched “more realistically on Monday morning on a computer.” The opening sketch was a good slap at the engineering behind BP’s efforts, but could have been more biting.

Baldwin gave a good performance and I think his presence gave us a few original sketches instead of just repeating the same ol’ new ones. The swim coach was good for a series of insults - “despite doing #1, he still swam like #2" and he really seemed to enjoy (maybe too much) appearing as a Greek in Grady Wilson’s instructional video. But I must admit his and Kenan’s enthusiasm made the skit more than the jokes. “Snipers” had a great physical performance from Alec, but the punch line just never, ever delivered. The microwave sketch was interesting, but mostly flat.

Samberg’s coke infused surreal “Digital Short” was inspired, but was it inspired by the musical guest? Wig’s “Starfish” was off the charts and she used the props (overbite, camera) very well. I kept trying to guess who she was evoking, but it was well done regardless. I just hope they don’t run this character into the ground next year.

Nasim Pedrad’s nerdy daughter sketch was once again a command performance and with Baldwin, it nicely mirrors the previous one with Fey as her mom. It’s not so funny as much as it is incredible to watch her act. Everyone else is obviously reading their lines off the cue cards while she’s ready to burst out her next lines. She’s real talent and SNL needs to give her more roles and more space next season.

WU saw Stefon, Snooki and Garth & Kat reprise their acts in good form. Moynihan’s excellent “Snooki” (and I’ve never seen the show) may well be his ticket to next year, because I just haven’t found him much funny otherwise.

And where was Forte?

16. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Are you kidding me?

In what way was this short inspired by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Are they all stereotypical coke users? Is the song reminiscent of a Petty/Heartbreakers track? Was it a tribute to one of his videos?

Seriously, that is one heck of a stretch.

I thought it was an homage to Betty White.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I saw him at the end for the goodbye, but I don't remember him being in a single sketch.

18. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I think he was in the swim coach sketch in a quick walk-on.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yeah...Starfish is going to become a new fave for me. And I love "Garth and Kat". I wish they'd record an album!

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I just watched the Betty White episode. It was fun and full of energy, but it certainly wasn't a standout in the laughs department like I'd been led to believe. I didn't recall myself laughing any more than some other good episodes this season.

I also watched the Precious girl episode and that band MGMT (who I've never heard of) were incredible. SNL rarely has standout musical guests anymore. That was refreshing.

21. floyd

floyd Senior Member

lots of laughs in that one, like:

"Wanna listen to some Santana B sides on vinyl?"

22. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I don't understand this praise for the "Starfish" bit. That had the same one-note "charm" of a Gilly sketch. I live Kristen - even the Target lady - but I didn't get even a chuckle out of this one.

23. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I saw MGMT (for the first time) on Letterman the other night. Thought their performance was ok, but they seemed like they were trying to hard to be cool. It's like they were trying to look like the Flaming Lips.

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I hate Gilly, Target Lady, and Starfish. Kristin Wiig is even less funny than delta delta delta may I helpya helpya helpya

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

When will the Betty White episode be repeated? I missed it the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.