The Seekers 1964 -- I'll Never Find Another You*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

If it exists in true stereo, I've never heard it. I've never heard it in duophonic either.

Same goes for Someday One Day.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Mono only. Recorded and released originally by W&G Records in Australia. No true Stereo exists.

Om likes this.
  3. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Here's what I believe I heard some time ago! Released in '68, Duphonic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Excellent song as are, at the very least, The Carnival is Over and World of Our Own.

John B Good likes this.
  5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I've always loved the Seekers. I always wanted to see them in concert too. Here's a great treat for you all. Any doubts about Judith's voice will be forgotten after you see this. The song is "Far Shore" from 2012. Amazing, powerful voice! Wow!!!

oboogie and John B Good like this.
  6. Hip O Critic

Hip O Critic New Member

Judith Durham is a beautiful person and along with The Seekers fine ambassadors for Australia. Her vocals are absolutely pitch perfect and The Seekers an excellent rhythm and vocal unit in their own right. There have been comments regarding whether some footage is mimed which of course being in the 60's is most likely. The Seekers were very good live and this link of the Seekers performing live at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) for the Australian Football League Grand Final 1994 proves her brilliance despite being 30 years later (the bonus is that the mighty West Coast Eagles won that Grand Final)!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
    John B Good and oboogie like this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Somewhere I think I have The New Seekers album.

In my mind, I want to hear a great compilation mix of The Seekers and The Springfields.

8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Lol! The New Seekers are a different group. They did “ I’d like to teach the world to Sing”.

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

My recollection is that they were (for the most part) the same group 10 years on or so?

10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I thought that when I was younger but found out they were two different groups. Google image search them & you will see how different they are.

11. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Two months from now when I purchase a DSD ADC, I will archive the duphonic vinyl mix of "I'll Never Find Another You" and post it in this thread. Definitely the one I remember hearing.

oxenholme likes this.
  12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Musically one of the best of these, and probably the funniest too: "When we get together with some friends and guitars, we always get in a big supply of Coke!"

13. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I believe Original Seeker Keith Potger was involved behind the scenes re the New Seekers but they were a totally different group with no members connected to the original group

The Seekers begin with folk and traditional numbers such as 'South Australia', 'This Train', 'Kumbaya' etc but over their three UK studio albums a clear progression emerges with notable covers and some great original songs

Judith sings 'If You Go Away' while Bruce Woodley emerged as a strong songwriter penning a few songs with his American friend Paul Simon plus lovely numbers such as 'Rattler' and 'Little Miss Sorrow (Child of Tomorrow)' - both covered by Herman's Hermits, 'This Sad Cloud', and 'Angeline is Always Friday' (co-written with Tom Paxton)

they had a rather 'conservative' group image but 'Myra' is a carribean flavoured song re a hooker !

covers they cut included The Springfields hit 'Island of Dreams' Mamas and Papas 'California Dreamin', The Byrds hit 'Turn Turn Turn', The Beatles 'Yesterday' and also numbers such as 'Louisiana Man' plus an interesting take on Simon and Garfunkel's '59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)' also Bob Dylan's 'The Times They Are A Changin and 'Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)' plus Ian Tyson's 'Four Strong Winds' and Tom Paxton's 'The Last Thing On My Mind'

studio albums 'Come The Day' (1966) and 'Seekers Seen in Green' (1967) were notable efforts while the UK compilation 'The Best of The Seekers' was one of the biggest selling UK albums of 1969

They were and still are a much loved group and the combination of Judith's beautiful voice and three fine male close harmony singers was magic !

a later album from the seventies 'The Seekers' on Polydor had talented blonde singer Louissa Wistling in place of Judith and while a rather different sound was still enjoyable, producing the hit 'The Sparrow Song'

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Adkchaz likes this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I love the Seekers :cheers:

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Purty cute at 60-something...

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

Until now I was only familiar with this version.

McLover likes this.
  17. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

I think its a fantastic song. Morningtown ride and Georgy girl equally hummable.

18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Here's a stereo/enhanced version from YouTube.
    Some may not like this beecause the guy who posted it added additional, but subtle instrumentation and I believe a bit of low harmony.
    I rather like it, but then I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    pc-Ray, oboogie and Jon_UK like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and she still sounds good!
    The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You

John B and EdogawaRampo like this.
  20. Jon_UK

Jon_UK Forum Resident

Far Shore is actually from 1997 (so now over 20 years old!) but has been included on some of the recent compilations.

21. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I like watching this video of the Seekers, too:

oboogie likes this.
  22. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

It really is an incredible song . I like it in mono and stereo.

23. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Is there a good compilation of the Seekers that has all the mono single mixes?

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It's one of those songs that I heard once or twice on my little transistor radio when it was a (minor) hit but just stuck out in my mind and never left...till I finally discovered who it was at least a decade later.

It's my favourite of theirs.

pika22, oboogie, Rocker and 1 other person like this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Then what is/where's the stereo mix on the 2009 box set from? There's no notes in the set but I did recently order the Graham Simpsons book. Maybe there's answers there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.