The Sequels That Never Were

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Atari265278, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Rocketeer was supposed to be part of a trilogy, but that idea was nixed because it wasn't a huge hit. I love the first film & would've liked to see more of Cliff's adventures.:cry:

There was supposed to be a Conan the Conqueror, but that obviously didn't happen. I wonder if it would have been brutal like the first film or more comedic like the second.

Do you have any other examples?

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Aren't the majority of mainstream films made in the last several decades made with potential sequel in mind?

3. Atari265278

There was a proposed sequel to Flash Gordon set on Mars. I wonder if they would've toned down the campiness.

4. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'd love to see a sequel to Shoot Em Up but think direct-to-dvd would be most likely and no Owen, Giamatti or Bellucci. I think they were contemplating (before it flopped at the box office) but like another poster said, they are probably always thinking potential sequels/franchise at this point

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Well, wasn't Star Wars originally supposed to be something like nine films, with the original trilogy comprising the middle three episodes?

And, I think a prequel for Who Framed Roger Rabbit was written, but it got bogged down in development hell.

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

That whole NBC thing was brutal, wasn't it? But did provide a few laffs. But what about the scrapped Leno the Indian Giver?
    :laugh:

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It's common practice to committment actors to potential sequels in contracts for films.

8. Atari265278

:shh:

9. music4life

music4life Senior Member

"Remo Williams...The Adventure Begins"
    Never saw it, but just by the title it sounds like they anticipated a sequel.

10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Wasn't the M. Night Shyamalan superhero film "Unbreakable" initially supposed to become a series? I think I remember interviews around the time of the film's release indicating that direction.

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I like The Shadow w/Alec Baldwin and The Phantom w/Billy Zane and Catherine Zeta Jones. I think those were probably intended for sequels but they didn't do so well.

I'm still upset that The Shadow never had an anamorphic DVD release, only Pan and Scan, and now there's no news whether it will ever make it to blu-ray.

There are rumors that Quinten Tarintino may be involved in a new Shadow project. Fingers crossed.

carrick doone likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm sure they did.

The post-credits tag on the recent "Sorcerer's Apprentice" hints of a sequel. Maybe they'll still make one, but since the film didn't do all that well at the box office, I doubt it.

Oh, and 1998's "Godzilla" CLEARLY pointed toward a sequel that never came...

13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

What ever happened to Leonard Pt. 7?

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They should've quit after "Leonard Pt. 3" - that was the best one!

15. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The movie "Buckaroo Banzai" with Peter Weller teases a fully titled sequel at the end but it never happened. Then you have Mel Brook's "History of the World, Part 2" complete with Hitler on ice but that was part of the whole joke.

guppy270 and carrick doone like this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Pandorum and Legion were both meant to be trilogies but flopped bigtime.

Seems Dennis Quaid is box office poison right now.

The one I wanted to see was the sequel to Master & Commander. Unfortunately, they overstretched themselves on the first one.

Oh and Remo was mentioned. I have heard rumours that a TV show is being mooted or a new film. We shall see.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bubba Nosferatu: Curse of the She-Vampires.

Will it ever get made?!?!? When, Lord, when!??!?!??

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

19. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Evil Roy Slade was supposed to become a TV series but never got picked up.

20. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Buckaroo Banzai was the first movie I thought of when I saw this thread. I actually enjoyed the first one, and would've like to have seen a sequel.

"Remember...no matter where you go...there you are". :)

21. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Funny. But actually, I remember NBC tantalized us with some unrealized "sequels", back in the year they canceled Quantum Leap, and a few others in an effort to cut production costs. They left themselves open to the possibility of some mini-movies that would wrap up some series, and never got around to them, for the most part.

Meanwhile back at the box office, I don't see The Golden Compass having kindled enough interest to delve further into the His Dark Materials saga. Too bad - I thought it looked terrific!

23. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

Golden Compass ?!?

scobb and DLeet like this.
  24. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

At the very end of "Silverado" (1985), Kevin Costner says, "We'll be back!", but even though the film was well received, it's weak box office guaranteed no sequel would be forthcoming.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Leaving Rankin and Bass to fill in the gap with their made for children's television adaptation of Return of the King.

My nomination, The Dark Crystal. Apparently the proposed sequel has been languishing in limbo for decades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.