The Sequels That Never Were

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Atari265278, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I would have loved a "The Big Easy" sequel.

2. He wasn't the star of the film and the other actors associated,with both these films keep getting work. I don't think Quaid is poison per se, he's just an older actor and not an A list one who gets offered less roles.

Not exactly sure how they over stretched Master and Commander and how that impacted the film but it just didn't make as much money as it needed to.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Luc Besson's The Sixth Element, following the offspring of Leeloo and Corbin from The Fifth Element.

But it seems like Besson got blackballed from the US market for some reason somewhere along the line. He still produces, and makes animated films, but for such a powerhouse of a director he is oddly missing in action.

mdm08033 likes this.
  4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

One film that has not been mentioned so far is Lost In Space.

Many fans of the original TV series have always wanted to see a more serious, less campy version of the Space Family Robinsons and when plans for the movie were announced, that's exactly what we were promised.

The eventual movie was a real mess, with the hyper annoying performance of Matt LeBlanc leading the way followed by a half baked script, and an alien "pet" that not only looked like it belonged in Toonville but which also had "buy one now at your favorite toy store written all over it."

The ending pretty much promsied a sequel except for the sad fact that the few fans who actually saw the movie would pretty much be totally unwilling to be suckered in a second time.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ah yes, what a horrible movie.

As I understand it, the director saved all of his "good" ideas for the planned sequels, which of course never ended up being produced…

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

P.S- I'm still amazed that they allowed the movie to complete production with the CGI monkey/alien creature looking so horrible- it looks like a half-finished effect that hasn't been fully rendered yet.

7. Revenge Of The Old Queen - a direct sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. A script exists but has never been filmed likely to the icy reception to Shock Treatment and the cast all got ancient.

8. I think they ran out of money.

9. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Vengeful Revenant and 5.1 Fanbeast

One thing about Lost in Space that gets my attention is all of the obvious produce placement for Silicon Graphics (aka SGI), which was at the time the go-to company for high end computer graphics and rendering.

And then it became capable to do the same work on PCs and Macs, and Silicon Graphics began to implode. I saw this happen first hand.

When I was in grad school, we used SGI computers to handle our 3D microscope data. Then the quality of the systems began to degrade, every third drive was bum, and product development began to drag. Eventually the SGI computers were replaced with generic Linux workstations of various kinds.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've tried very hard to erase all vestiges of that from the hard drive in my head. Damn you for making me remember it again.

A horrible, horrible, horrible movie. An insult to everybody who had anything to do with the TV show (not that the show was great).

hellion likes this.
  11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It's incredible that they could make a movie that was an insult to our intelligence, based on a TV show that was ALREADY an insult to our intelligence.

JFS3 and Vidiot like this.
  12. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Best thing about it was the logo, sadly. I remember buying the DVD (it was an early add to the collection), watching it once and never again. Should have known better having watched the original series.

13. Remurmur

Well. Yeah. The stories could be pretty bad , but to me , the real star of the show was their spacecraft the Jupiter2. What kid would not have loved a tour of the Robinson's home in space ?

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Stephen Kings The Night Filer
    the script was written nobody wanted pick it up.
    I really wanted a sequel.:mad:

Suspect Zero watch the alternative ending:shh::righton:

15. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Surely he can't be serious.

16. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

What about Doctor Detroit? i have only seen it once,but i swear at the end theres a mention of dr detroit 2. I dont recall a second one

17. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMDB says "At the end of the credits, we see 'Coming soon: Doctor Detroit II, the Wrath of Mom.'" Apparently Aykroyd DID plan a sequel, but the movie bombed so badly that one never was made...

19. Remurmur

But ...even though I could only endure this wretched movie once, decades later...that stupid "music" (DOC tor Detroit ...DOC tor...WOO WOO !!) is still locked somewhere in my head w/ total clarity!

Sadly a true music geek sometimes has trouble forgetting even bad music, a fact that probably has been discussed numerous times here...;) :)

20. Remurmur

He is ...and don't call him Shirley...:winkgrin:

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

What about Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan, directed by Sergei Bodrov and a 2007 Academy Award Nominee for "best foreign language film"?

This is an excellent film, and was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy devoted to telling the story of Genghis Khan's life.

For a time, there were rumors of a sequel, but I don't think it's even a remote possibility at this point. I was disappointed because I enjoyed the first chapter so much.

22. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

as far as Airplane. just wanted to also say. we are out of coffee.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Masters Of The Universe teases a sequel that never came to be.

24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

There was a TV series on ABC called "Delta House" that was a sequel to the movie. It featured some of the original cast, and had Josh Mostel in the role of "Blotto," the brother of Bluto. It only lasted a few episodes (around that time each of the three networks had there own "Animal House" type show and none of them lasted).

The "Double Secret Probation Edition" version of "Animal House" on DVD included a mockumentary. It featured most of the characters/cast from the movie and where they are now.

25. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

just wanted to say that. disappointing that there was no continuation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.