The Sequels That Never Were

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Atari265278, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Wasn't there talk of a third "Fantasia" film from Disney?

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

3. No mention of the proposed Gladiator sequel, eh? Nick Cave of all people was commissioned to write a script, but what he came back with got heavily into the supernatural, with the character spanning space and time, and was deemed too thematically heavy for a blockbuster Hollywood movie, so it was shelved.

4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't want to proffer one of those questions that are so vague as to be unanswerable, but can anyone help me remember this:

Not *too* long ago, I was watching a film (perhaps from the 80s, though I can't say for sure), and the end credits promised, in the text near the end of the end credits, that the lead character would "return" in the next film, and I think it even gave the supposed sequel a title and everything. The sequel never happened. This thread jogged my memory enough to remember watching this not too long ago, but I can't remember what movie it was. It was presumably either a high profile movie that bombed, and thus any sequel got cancelled, or it was kind of a low budget movie to begin with and the sequel never happened. But all I can remember beyond that is that the text was something like the lead character "will return in..." and then the name of the movie.

5. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

(the newer version)

Still waiting for #2 & #3...

6. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

There was supposed to be a Sisterhood Of The Travelling Pants 3 but it hasn't happened.

7. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

The 1940 film "Northwest Passage" starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Young was meant to have a sequel. The movie is a fictionalized account of the St Francis Raid of the French and Indian (Seven Years) War in 1759. It's not until the final scene where they march away to try to find the Northwest Passage. But it was never made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage_(film)#Sequels_and_related_projects

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Sounds like the very end of a James Bond film.

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Probably a bit late now but I thought that..... quite a while back........there was talk of a True Lies sequel.

Wonder if another "Bourne" or "Jack Ryan" sequel is planned??

How about National Treasure 3........ or Ocean's 14?

A "Kill Bill" prequel could be interesting depending on the cast.

I'm DEFINITELY up for some more World War Z!!!

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

New "World War Z" and "Bourne" movies will be out in the next couple of years.

I suspect a new Jack Ryan movie will be out eventually, but not a continuation of the Chris Pine "reboot". That movie didn't do very well, so I think a new Ryan flick would start over.

I think those involved with the Ocean's series are happy to let it rest.

IMDB mentions "National Treasure 3" but has little concrete info listed...

Linger63 likes this.
  11. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I imagine that once CGI gets to be more photorealistic we'll see CGI sequels to classic movies using digital actors who look just like the dead actors.

13. Well they did do a pilot for a TV series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0236677/

14. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I always wondered if there was intended to be a sequel to Jason and The Argonauts (1963), as the film's ending certainly hints at one. However I never knew if this was just merely wishful thinking from the film's producers at the time, or if there really were indeed any plans to actually do so, and that they just failed to come to pass.

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Thanks for all that info!!

Alec Baldwin was my favourite "Ryan".......I suppose it helped that the movie was a blast.

I liked Ocean's 11 but thought they went downhill from there which maybe a good "14" could have rectified.

Looking forward to more WWZ and wondering if they will stick with Jeremy Renner for the next "Bourne" instalment.

Cheers

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I loathed "O12" when I first saw it, but came to like it more upon subsequent viewings. "O13" was a more overt crowd-pleaser - it was more in the vein of the first film.

The first remains the best but I like all 3 at this point...

Blurb on IMDB:

"Jeremy Renner's character, Aaron Cross, will not be in this new Bourne film, but he will have his sequel after this film is released."

No idea if that's accurate or not. Seems odd to do another Rennber Bourne since the last one was a disappointment - it didn't bomb, but I don't think it made money, and it seemed to get a tepid reception from critics and audiences...

17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Fred Ward's a decent actor . . . but not exactly box-office dynamite.

18. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Chinatown was supposed to be the first in a trilogy with Jack Nicholson as J.J. Gittes, and Roman Polanski would have directed the other two films. But then in the midst of his sex scandal, after what Polanski claimed was Judge Larry Rittenband misusing justice, he ran away from America. Thus, the trilogy was dropped.

19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I remember around 1986 reading about a movie called "Revenge Of The Termanators"Too bad,I`ll bet this would have been the best out of them all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.