The Serious Art of Comedian Jim Carrey

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by segue, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Indeed! He can do drama pretty well when required (The Truman Show, Liar Liar).

2. Whoa! I'd pay to see it. I actually prefer his serious roles later in his career, like in Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, The Majestic, I Love You Philip Morris, the non slapstick comedy parts of Truman Show....

Al Kuenster likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

6. The Thread Starter's post with the video I linked. Sometimes I use TS or OP in reference to the thread starter or original poster. :tiphat:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good comedian, mediocre actor.

8. MikaelaArsenault

Thanks.

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It's never too late....... :D

jriems likes this.
  10. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

"Man On The Moon" I thought was an interesting film especially his turn as Kaufman alter-ego Tony Clifton. Apparently director Milos Forman pulled Carrey aside and explained that he was afraid of Clifton

11. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I offered him $500 to paint my living room - never heard back...........

12. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I never really got into him. Although, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind is really good.

13. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I have to say that I do like most of his comedic work. Heck, I even like The Cable Guy. :D

But I think my favorite movies with him are the more dramatic roles, like The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and Man On The Moon. Given the right role, he can be a very versatile actor.

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Before you must say for a third time that you don't care for Jim Carrey, I kindly acknowledge your post.

segue and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This and The Majestic are my favorite Jim Carrey movies.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I often think OP means Opening Post.^^

17. oops you are correct.

18. How can I forget Man on the Moon! Great movie.

You're welcome

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

No, wait. Am I? I wasn't quite sure about the abbreviation either.^^

20. :) I think so. Using Original Post/Opening Post and Thread Starter respectively

MikaelaArsenault and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

He's a genius in my opinion. He is a unique talent. His Ace Ventura comedies are classics. He was also very good in Kick-Ass. Hope he starts making decent movies again.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't see it, never did.

right there with adam sandler, will ferrell and ben stiller as just not funny. fart humor at best.

all 4 have tried serious acting and none of them have been able to really pull it off.......if you recall john belushi tried it too to no avail.

sorry, but not for me.

23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I remember back in the halcyon days of 2001, reading in the trades that Frank Darabont was pushed into rushing the film in post by the studio to get it out to cinemas before the latter year was out... he normally took several months after filming wrapped to relax and reflect on the film he made before starting to edit (or so I read), but in the wake of 9/11, the powers-that-be thought a feel-good film celebrating all things Americana might have a real shot to get big awards and forced Darabont into a punishing schedule to get it finished and out in order to qualify for said awards, and as a consequence, he wasn't happy with the final cut.

Carrey went 'full method' for Man on the Moon, he stayed in character as both Kaufman and/or Clifton even between takes, meaning Forman had to literally direct Tony Clifton, not an actor playing him... and that was an utter nightmare, as he related later :D.

Vidiot and stewedandkeefed like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wasn't the video in the OP made by Carrey's own production company in a "hey, look at me!" move?

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think jim is a good example of an actor who got fu money from his comedic movies, tried some serious films with middling success and rather than go back to comedy said screw it ill semi-retire till I find a role I want to do (the opposite of eddie murphy)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.