The Shape of Water - Guillermo del Toro

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It was just awarded the Golden Lion for best film at the Venice International Film Festival.

Looking forward to it.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I want to see this very much! I am probably going to have to buy it on DVD later as well. So glad someone can still make great original weird films without action figure toy lines and stuff attached!

longdist01 and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I just hope that all the people that rail against Marvel and Star Wars and franchises remember to go see original films like this one.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Coming soon to a theater near me............

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife, who has seen more than 400 films so far this year, can assure you that there are good, original films in the theater every week of the year.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Looks like fun. I'm still shaking off "Pacific Rim" so maybe this will be a shot at redemption. I think he's a good director but a lot depends on how good the script is. So far, there's so little story shown you don't know if it's just a big rescue/chase movie or not. Looks a little "ET" inspired.

8. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Guillermo del Toro makes the movies he makes...and the world is richer for it. "Crimson Peak", as a quite recent example, wasn't much like "Pacific Rim". I also suspect "redemption" is rather low on his list of concerns.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, it took a cinematic genius the likes of Bergman or Hitchcock to put out a moronic piece of Hollywood garbage like “Pacific Rim.” A few of his movies like “don’t be afraid of the dark” just vanished because they were so mediocre. And the difference between truly great filmmakers like Bergman , Fellini, Hitchcock, Truffaut, Kubrick you name it. Is it tthey took great care developing and researching and writing Scripts — somebody who hires a good set designer and has some flair as a stylist doesn’t make him a great film maker in my book. The Crimson Tide was pretty good but the rest of his English language movies have been A pretty mediocre affair. Maybe “Hellboy” propels him up in the ranks of 20-year-old movie buffs but it certainly doesn’t do much for me in his standing among truly great film makers. Film like that could be directed by any action hack, though some people seem willing to revel in him being a genius. And there was some hope with the Devils backbone and pans labyrinth that he was going to be something special but right now he’s just another Hollywood sell out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    jawaka1000 and hellion like this.
  10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I'd dearly love to have seen del Toro's version of The Hobbit...

FVDnz, Yovra, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  11. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Looks good to me.

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I had no idea that this was on deck until a few minutes ago. My son Matthew just texted me asking if we can see the new it. In the Philadelphia area the movie has one, just one screening, tonight at the Ritz 5 the local art house in Philadelphia. Matthew did the same thing last year for Midnight Special Movie and Manchester By The Sea.

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just got back from seeing it today. I've seen Chronos, The Devil's Backbone, and Pan Labyrinth, and enjoyed them, but this movie just didn't click for me. It seemed like an old, tired Spielberg movie in the mold of "E.T." I don't want to go into more detail, for fear of spoilers. It definitely looked great, and Hawkins was terrific. But I got bored . . . it was too predictable, relying on an old tired trope.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They should put this on a double-bill with Creature from the Black Lagoon. But seriously: it's a beautiful film, one of the most interesting and original movies of the year. Absolutely striking cinematography, and a very tragic, touching story.

15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Have you seen it yet, Marc? Would like to hear your opinion of it...

Other than seemingly being an ode to the joys of bestiality - seriously, that creature ain't human, how else can you describe the relationship betwixt girl and gill-man? - it all sounds like an overly heavy-handed social/political allegory from what I'm hearing about it; del Toro is using a feckin' sledgehammer on this one when a chisel would have sufficed.

Still though, it's impressive that the budget on this is around a mere $20m... it looks three times that amount just based on the trailers!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Can't believe the hate for Pacific Rim...it is gorgeous

Malina, ssmith3046 and agentalbert like this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can.

jawaka1000, budwhite and rjp like this.
  18. Looks really good based on the trailers, but I'm not sensing a happy ending.

19. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The headline for David Edelstein’s review calls The Shape of Water “utterly lovely but complacent.” I’m even less excited about seeing it now...

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Sadly we ill never get a Hell Boy 3 Del Toro dragged his feet on that for over decade. sigh.
    No creature of black lagoon remake. Del Toro put a stop it..
    Thankfully.

21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm a little scared of seeing it because as much as I love del Toro's work, I find films like Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone too sad and disturbing. Both of those films haunted me for a long time after seeing them and The Shape of Water looks like it could be another of those films. In fact, watching the trailer almost made me weepy.

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My son tipped me that a new Hellboy is coming next year.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Any year that has two del Toro films in it can't be considered "a bad year for Cinema".

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

He has a whole bunch of films in development at IMDB Pro, but I can't afford $150 a year to look them up.
    1. Drood (details only on IMDbPro)
    2. Slaughterhouse-Five (details only on IMDbPro)
    3. The Haunted Mansion (details only on IMDbPro)
    4. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (details only on IMDbPro)
    5. The Orphanage (details only on IMDbPro)
    6. Saturn and the End of Days (details only on IMDbPro)
    7. Champions (details only on IMDbPro)
    8. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (details only on IMDbPro)
    9. At the Mountains of Madness (details only on IMDbPro)
    10. Monster (details only on IMDbPro)
    11. The Witches (details only on IMDbPro)
    12. Frankenstein (details only on IMDbPro)
    13. Midnight Delivery (details only on IMDbPro)
    14. Fantastic Voyage (details only on IMDbPro)
    15. Beauty (details only on IMDbPro)
    Not too shabby for the self-described "Geek from Guadalajara."

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

SOMEbody's got a problem with delegating authorityyyy...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.