The Sheepdogs - 70's style Canadian rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

The Sheepdogs are a modern Canadian band bringing the sound of classic rock back to the scene... a total 70's revival! Check out their current single that's receiving radio airplay right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4JR6aw_Uqo

Simple, fun, and super catchy! And do those chorus harmonies remind you of anyone? Another classic Canadian band, perhaps? ;)

RickH likes this.
  2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

These are the guys who are in contention to be on
    the cover of the Rolling Stone this coming August.
    In typically Canadian fashion, I haven't seen one
    word about them in a newspaper or magazine up
    here!

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

thanks for the link - fun stuff!

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ain't it always the way. lol

Good track. Definitely enough there for me to want to hear more.

5. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

That is very good stuff, but how do Canadians define Canadian rock different from say, US rock? I'm just curious...

6. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I don't know that I would differentiate between them really. These guys do happen to sound an awful lot like a certain famous Canadian band out of Winnipeg though, so that might be where the "Canadian Rock" association comes from.

7. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

8. Rocker

9. Odieman

Odieman Forum Resident

They admit to being fans of the Allmans

10. Odieman

Odieman Forum Resident

Ignatius likes this.
  11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Learn to Burn is a great summer album. Pure fun.

But good lord, this guy sounds like Burton Cummings. It was alluded to earlier, but this truly does sound like a lost Guess Who album. It's almost eerie how similar they sound. But hey, ain't nothin' wrong with that! These harmonies are fantastic. Can't wait to see them live.

12. Rocker

13. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

That's cool. I remember reading about them in Rolling Stone earlier in the year. I didn't realize at the time I was reading about the contest - that took 2 or 3 months to figure out. Duh. But I did like the bands that were named checked to describe their sound. They have been playing one of their songs on CFNY in Toronto - they don't suck.

That said the first 2.5 Kings of Leon albums far from sucked too.

14. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Was grocery shopping tonight and Rolling Stone caught my eye. I liked the looks of the band on the cover. Looked like 70's vintage rockers. It was some band from Saskatoon called The Sheepdogs. Read the story about them inside, and checked out some of their tunes on Youtube when I got home. Great bluesy rock n' soul with nice harmonies. I certainly hope these guys get rewarded for years of payin' their dues. They deserve it.

http://youtu.be/7jKyJdpLIio

15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I saw them the other day in Times Square. They were having their picture taken and their Rolling Stone cover was on one of the electronic billboards.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I got the issue of "RS" with their pic on it and started to freak out - it's the first time I've ever seen a cover act who I've never heard of! Felt really out of touch - until I saw they were contest winners, not a band whose popularity dictated they should be on the cover.

I'm still old and out of touch, but FEEL less so now! :D

17. Rocker

How are these guys not getting more discussion around here? Learn & Burn is easily one of the best straightforward rock albums to come along in years.....

jammincrowe likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Probably because no one can actually buy the record! lols. They run out of stock a few times now from what I hear.

They win the RS cover contest and the record company has no stock to feed the masses. Anyway...

Their tour with Kings Of Leon should help a lot. I like the two songs I heard. Straight forward rock n roll with some nice harmonies. They need to ditch the head bands and fringe jackets though. Too much cliche for me.

19. Rocker

New album scheduled for release in September, if anyone cares.... :)

In the meantime, classic rock fans need to do themselves a favor and check out the Learn & Burn album and the Five Easy Pieces EP.... both excellent.

20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

....produced by Austin Scaggs (isn't that Boz' son?) of Rolling
    Stone magazine(!) fame and drummer Patrick Carney of the
    Black Keys(!!).
    How those two ended up co-producing the Sheepdogs' major
    label debut is anyone's guess!

21. Rocker

22. with the Canadian content requirements for radio up here, these guys should have a long career in Canada.

i caught them live last year - def. a fun time, partying like its 1992 (i.e. when the first classic rock revival was in full swing on campuses). Absence of a compelling soloist detracts from their live act (i.e. any instrumental breaks are clearly rehearsed rather than improvised), but that should change in time.

23. C'mon, they don't sound a thing like Propagandhi. :)

24. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

They have a cool sound, but I find their songs to be pretty dull

The Beave likes this.
  25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Now that I've heard their album, all I gotta say is "Lelia Broussard was robbed!".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.