The Sheepdogs - 70's style Canadian rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's insane.

2. Further

Further Forum Resident

Picked up the new album for $35 which is more than enough. It's a double but the fourth side contains no music. Probably more expensive outside of Canada. I've learned to grab the vinyl quick with their releases, as they tend to dry up pretty fast and prices go through the roof. A few songs grabbed me right out of the gate but this one is gonna take a few listens to grow on me, I think.

I heard that they are also releasing their first two albums Trying To Grow and Big Stand on vinyl for the first time this year as part of Record Store Day. I'm gonna have to watch for those. Even the CD's I have were pretty hard to come by, since they were out of print for so long. They were still developing their sound on the early albums but there are some solid tunes there from a hungry, hard-working band.

Learn & Burn and The Sheepdogs are two personal favourites but probably the best sounding piece of vinyl I own from them is the 45 rpm EP Five Easy Pieces. An absolutely smoking slab with enough bass to blow the hair right off your head. haha. Highly recommended, if you know what I'm saying.

3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I stumbled upon the new disc at Wal-Mart. I didn't even know it was coming out. I
    was stunned to see that Jimmy Bowskill is now in the band. Alas, have not spun it
    as of yet.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  4. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Is it me or does the new album have a Allman Brothers thing going on?

Mr. Pleasant likes this.
  5. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Not just you. Lots of Allman Brothers vibe on this album. Though hey have had sprinkles of that in the past too.

6. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

Big Sheepdogs fan here. Looking forward to seeing them in Halifax again next month. The first two albums are indeed going to be released on vinyl, as well as a 7" containing 2 live tracks from changing colours for record store day, and they've been announced as record store day champions for Canada this year. The addition of Jimmy Bowskill and Shamus Currie really rounded out their sound and has taken them to a higher level in my opinion. And as mentioned above, the spin-off Bros. - Vol. 1 is an awesome listen.

7. Curwin

Curwin Well-Known Member

I saw The Sheepdogs March 2016 and Jimmy Bowskill was playing with them then. He wasn't credited on the album they were touring so it seemed like he was just on the tour at the time. I'll have to check the new one out

8. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm Canadian and I have not been a Sheepdogs fan to date. In fact I have made quite a few snarky remarks about them because their radio tracks sound so incredibly simplistic and derivative to me (derivative especially of early Seventies bands like Rare Earth), it's almost like they're doing a parody of that kind of rock n soul music.

But I've only heard the radio tracks.

9. Mr. Pleasant

I'm a big Sheepdogs fan and I am also pretty familiar with Rare Earth and I don't hear much of similarity at all if any. And even if there was a little similarity there is sure to be less now that they have added pedal steel guitar to their sound on some songs.

Is it derivative? Sure, to some degree. But they are playing music that they like that is similar to some of their favourite artists from that era and they do a damned fine job of it. Nobody would be able to write new music in that vein that didn't sound somewhat derivative. I find it is best to just take it for what it is and enjoy it. To be honest they actually sound quite refreshing in a world of over-produced, manufactured and synthetic music.

IMHO of course.

southamorican and jay.dee like this.
  10. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It was the vocals that instantly reminded me of Rare Earth.

11. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Listening to “I’ve Got a Hole Where My Heart Should Be” on Spotify now, I like! I hear some Atlanta Rhythm Section influence...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  12. Mr. Pleasant

Ya, I guess I could hear some resemblance in some cases. It just never really jumped out at me.

13. sort of like a canadian black crowes - yeah, you can play spot the influence, but it sure is a fun show.

14. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Waiting on Deep Discount to ship my CD and LP of the new album. Currently listed as backordered. Hoping to hear it soon.

15. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

I was at Taz Records tonight and picked up a copy of 5 easy pieces after reading your review yesterday. It is on another level of sound quality! I've got large towers and twin 15" subs facing me in my rec room, let's just say I could feel the music! It's an incredibly dynamic cut, and sounds better the louder it goes. Changing Colours is a sonic improvement over Future, Learn and burn and s/t, but 5EP is the high mark.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Further likes this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Five Easy Pieces is definitely a killer EP and a great recommendation for anyone who wants a brief introduction to the band's sound. The only negative thing I have to say is that the version of "I Don't Know" on the EP is not as good as the one from Learn & Burn. Otherwise, fantastic stuff! ;)

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ordered a bunch of albums on the back of this thread.

First to arrive is Future Nostalgia. It's a fine record. Reminded me more of the Marshall Tucker band than anyone else. Not so much the music itself as the grand sense of space within the sound. Even as I type, I realize what a load of pompous codswallop this sounds, but I hope you get the sense of what I mean!

Whatever, I'd love to see them in concert!

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

If I had to pick, L&B would probably be my favourite... but their other albums are all good, too.
    Did you get the reissue version of L&B with the 2 extra tracks?

Learn & Burn by The Sheepdogs

;)

Hadean75 likes this.
  19. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I didn't realize there was a reissue. I'll have to look into it. Thanks! :)

20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The Sheepdogs just head-lined the opening night of our `Bluesfest' here in town.
    It was the third time I'd seen the band but the first with Jimmy Bowskill in tow.
    What a character he is! Last time I saw him he was a little kid opening up for Deep
    Purple. Now Jimmy is a grown man in a cowboy hat and `Nudie' western garb. He
    reminded me so much of country music legend Lil' Jimmy Dickens. Every time I
    would look at him I would laugh! Anyway, he and Currie have the Allman Brothers
    - influenced `southern rock' twin-guitar harmonies down stone cold. It is a huge
    part of their sound - just about every tune I fully expected them to start playing
    `Revival', `Blue Sky', `Jessica' or `Mountain Jam'. I loved it! But they are lightyears
    ahead of the first time I saw the Sheepdogs. Great set. I don't think they have made
    their defining album yet but the best - I'm sure - is yet to come. Recommended.

jay.dee likes this.
  21. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Thanks for turning me on to this band. I've only watched the videos posted. I love that throwback 70's musikladen style video complete with credits! I will definitely pick up their new album when it is out and will look for their other albums. Has anyone seen them live and can they jam? They would absolutely KILL on the east coast jam band circuit, but from the tracks I've heard they sound very composed(which is fine) but they should be able to extend things a little in concert.

22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I caught them live a few years ago and jam they could and did! The centrepiece of that gig was a number they expanded to some 15 minutes in a fashion somewhat similar to Humble Pie's live reworkings of I Walked on Gilded Splinters. Great stuff.

A live album from these guys is long overdue.

23. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I've seen these guys many times (10ish?) playing everything from Ribfest's to small concert halls. They ROCK OUT. It's great to hear a band that plays real music that isn't over-produced and sounds as good live as it does on their recordings. A live album (released on vinyl) would be amazing!

24. When I saw them they closed with a 14:00+ cover of 'Down By the River' - was a fantastic show! I know they also mix in Allman Brothers from time to time as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.