The Shindos have landed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Amen.

VinylRob likes this.
  2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Oh behave!
    ;)

3. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been tweaking the room to get acoustics right. I covered the fireplace with birch plywood and fabric. Amazing how much it tightened everything up.

Still a ways to go to fine tune, but every little tweak helps make everything that much better.

And miles to go before I sleep...

raferx and Mad shadows like this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Congratulations- nice room and hi-fi. Enjoy it in good health.

bhazen and Brian Gupton like this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No Shindos here sadly, but it's definitely a foggy Come On Die Young morning in the bay area!

(And I figure the worst that can come of bumping this thread is people have to drool over Brian's setup again)

6. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Love me some Shindo...

Brian Gupton likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Looking forward to hearing some Shindo kit later this year ... (crossed fingers).

sambamaster and Long Live Analog like this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think I'll ever quite be able to realize the Shindo dream, but I'm thinking some of those Devore Gibbon 3XLs driven by a Line Magnetic 518 would work pretty well in my space. Maybe in a couple years. :love:

ceynon and bhazen like this.
  9. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

The Gibbon 3xl is a very nice speaker.

Rolltide likes this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Good to hear you say that. I've found over the years I've ended up with a lot of the same gear you own or have owned so we're probably have similar tastes. I don't plan on changing anything in 2015 but my eventual plan is to either go the Gibbon/Line Magnetic route or keep my current amplification and go with the Harbeth C7ES3's like you have. Fortunately I have a local dealer who carries both.

11. Art K

I really like the Gibbon 3xl but prefer the C7's. Their overall presentation is more complete IMO. The 3xl's sound great with LM amps.

Rolltide likes this.
  12. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think their least expensive pre-amp starts at $3,500. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I seem to remember. I think the Monbrison is $7,900 new, so you might be able to score a used one for $4-5K. The pre-amps are definitely the bets starting point.

beowulf likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's not so much the price as I don't have a room where a system of that caliber can be really appreciated. I'm more or less limited to floor standers, and if I had that kind of gear I'd really want the large cabinet type of high efficiency speaker. At the same time though, a preamp is a different story. I un-separated this past spring in favor of the aesthetic simplicity of an integrated, but I can't claim there weren't tradeoffs involved.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I love this answer because it gets me better sound and $4500 stays in my wallet. Here's hoping this is another time where I agree with your tastes.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Given financial realities, I don't know if or when I will graduate to this level of gear. I have Rega, Croft and Harbeth now; I may spring for a Line Magnetic CD deck, for a taste ... :) Those start at a relatively affordable $1,600.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Find the sound you like, and build it out of what you can afford.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Having finally heard DeVore O/93s, OMG yes. I like my wee Harbeths; but going from them to the Orangutans is like going from DVD via a portable TV, to BluRay on a 72" plasma HDTV.

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

You nailed it. I know there's more affordable gear of this basic philosophy out there; the exploring to find it is fun.

raferx likes this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

While I admit to not having heard a lot of these setups, from what I gather if you're going to tube, tube hard. Point-to-point wired triode and huge speakers with one silly looking tiny driver, or the K-horn looking things.

Not that I'd turn down an MC275 or anything though.

bhazen likes this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I saw the other day on ebay a guy selling a 300B amp he built from a Parks Audio kit. Listed all the parts he used and I imagine it's fairly competitive. That approach is probably where it's at if you have the skill set (I don't). Speakers too, there's a lot of DIY high efficiency designs and kits available.

bhazen likes this.
  21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Very nice set up and layout!

22. Art K

Just as an aside I am auditioning a Luxman D-N10 CD player and at $1500 it is the equal of the LM215 and by the time it is finished running in it may surpass it.

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

!! Cool ... I always liked Luxman years ago, usually into Wharfedales or Tannoys ...

Who deals Lux in the NW?

24. Art K

Heck if I know. I bought it from Music Direct. There probably aren't any dealers around where I live.

bhazen likes this.
  25. james

james Summon The Queen

Interesting. Does it have a digital input by chance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.